2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 5:38PM #1
Btheist
Hello!

I'm new to this website, but I'm looking for some kind of faith community, having recently come to believe in God.

I'm checking out Taoism and UU, and also think that my views might be well alligned with Deism. I believe in a God that has the fullest potential of any person, that knows everything worth knowing and is perfectly moral. I also believe that this God created the universe on the basis of reason rather than revelation, and that God doesn't intervene in the world miraculously.

But I also believe that God isn't distinct from the universe. Rather, God thinks the universe into existence. God thinks about the position and motion of every particle, as well as all the macroscopic properties of macroscopic objects. The universe is a thought, rather than a machine. In this sense, God is in everything, but at no point do I think God thinks itself into the thought. God doesn't allow anything to happen that isn't consistent with the natural orders on every level of reality.

Is this view compatible with Deism? From what I've heard of Deism, God created the world and then stepped back to let things take their own course. Does that mean that Deists think God is distinct from the world? Maybe this distinction doesn't matter so much, and the important thing is that God doesn't perform miracles, like a hackneyed magician. If that's the case, then I suppose the important question for me is this: would you have me as a fellow deist?

Thank you for your time,

Btheist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:14PM #2
TPaine

Apr 14, 2012 -- 5:38PM, Btheist wrote:

Hello!

I'm new to this website, but I'm looking for some kind of faith community, having recently come to believe in God.

I'm checking out Taoism and UU, and also think that my views might be well alligned with Deism. I believe in a God that has the fullest potential of any person, that knows everything worth knowing and is perfectly moral. I also believe that this God created the universe on the basis of reason rather than revelation, and that God doesn't intervene in the world miraculously.

But I also believe that God isn't distinct from the universe. Rather, God thinks the universe into existence. God thinks about the position and motion of every particle, as well as all the macroscopic properties of macroscopic objects. The universe is a thought, rather than a machine. In this sense, God is in everything, but at no point do I think God thinks itself into the thought. God doesn't allow anything to happen that isn't consistent with the natural orders on every level of reality.

Is this view compatible with Deism? From what I've heard of Deism, God created the world and then stepped back to let things take their own course. Does that mean that Deists think God is distinct from the world? Maybe this distinction doesn't matter so much, and the important thing is that God doesn't perform miracles, like a hackneyed magician. If that's the case, then I suppose the important question for me is this: would you have me as a fellow deist?

Thank you for your time,

Btheist

What you describe seems similar to pandeism. You may want to check out this site.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook