Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Unity Prayer of Protection
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:14AM #1
MsTopaz
Every week at church, this prayer is said: "The light of God surrounds me; The love of God enfolds me; The power of God protects me; The presence of God watches over me. Wherever I am, God is!"

This is a nice prayer, but I thought about it this week when tornadoes hit Dallas and all the survivors were thanking God. I have heard a Unity minister say that God only works through humans, so how is that reconciled with this prayer? It bothers me that the implication is that God chooses to protect some people but not others. If a tornado hits your house and kills your child, some Christians think this is God's plan, but what do New Thought believers think? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 6:45PM #2
Namchuck

Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:14AM, MsTopaz wrote:

Every week at church, this prayer is said: "The light of God surrounds me; The love of God enfolds me; The power of God protects me; The presence of God watches over me. Wherever I am, God is!"

This is a nice prayer, but I thought about it this week when tornadoes hit Dallas and all the survivors were thanking God. I have heard a Unity minister say that God only works through humans, so how is that reconciled with this prayer? It bothers me that the implication is that God chooses to protect some people but not others. If a tornado hits your house and kills your child, some Christians think this is God's plan, but what do New Thought believers think? 

And what you relate above lends itself to the compelling probability that there isn't any diety to care or not care about what happens to humans.

Every day, countless thousands of creatures live in justifed fear of the rest, or pay their way as slowly dying hosts to unthinkable lodgers.

We should have learned by now that Nature and the universe is completely amoral, devoid of empathy and any long-term concern.

We are the world's first ethical animals, at the mercy still of our biology, but capable also of rising above it. It is up to us - and not some wholly imaginary God - to provide these moral qualities, to give life on Earth a conscience.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 5:55PM #3
MsTopaz

Apr 7, 2012 -- 6:45PM, Namchuck wrote:

And what you relate above lends itself to the compelling probability that there isn't any diety to care or not care about what happens to humans.

Every day, countless thousands of creatures live in justifed fear of the rest, or pay their way as slowly dying hosts to unthinkable lodgers.

We should have learned by now that Nature and the universe is completely amoral, devoid of empathy and any long-term concern.

We are the world's first ethical animals, at the mercy still of our biology, but capable also of rising above it. It is up to us - and not some wholly imaginary God - to provide these moral qualities, to give life on Earth a conscience.

You expressed the atheist's perspective...I am familiar with that already. I am interested in finding out what New Thought proponents believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 6:23PM #4
Namchuck

Apr 8, 2012 -- 5:55PM, MsTopaz wrote:

You expressed the atheist's perspective...I am familiar with that already. I am interested in finding out what New Thought proponents believe.

It is the detectable nature of the universe and the nature of Nature itself. To try to fob it off as simply the "atheists's perspective" is simply to bury one's head in the sand. The existence of what one may call 'natural evil' is the spectre that has haunted religion for millennia, and it has never been able to come up with a convincing response.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 5:50PM #5
Bob_Bennett

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:23PM, Namchuck wrote:

It is the detectable nature of the universe and the nature of Nature itself. To try to fob it off as simply the "atheists's perspective" is simply to bury one's head in the sand. The existence of what one may call 'natural evil' is the spectre that has haunted religion for millennia, and it has never been able to come up with a convincing response.

Namchuck:'

I have now read you're posts on two boards in which you're anger and know-nothingism stands out and marks you as a troublemaker who has no intention of abiding by the rules.  I suggest that you leave those boards that you do not understand, that are over your head.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 4:05AM #6
Namchuck

Apr 9, 2012 -- 5:50PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:23PM, Namchuck wrote:

Namchuck:'

I have now read you're posts on two boards in which you're anger and know-nothingism stands out and marks you as a troublemaker who has no intention of abiding by the rules.  I suggest that you leave those boards that you do not understand, that are over your head.

What is it you supposedly do understand and that I'm supposedly "not understand(ing)", Bob?

Rather than advancing any cogent response to what I have said here (and elsewhere), you appear to be satisfied simply to vent your ample spleen and whine at my comments.

You believers seem as sensitive as a sunburnt neck at having your favored beliefs critiqued. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 9:43PM #7
Jupiter6208

I don't fire away!Laughing

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 3:21AM #8
Namchuck

Apr 11, 2012 -- 9:43PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I don't fire away!

You don't what, Jupiter6258?

And you actually haven't said anything to fire at. Smile

At least your not whining.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 8:51AM #9
unitychaplain

Blessings

I hope I am not too late to give you an answer. Unity and all New Thought conceive God as all Good and Omniscient /Immanent in everything. Evil has no objective reality it springs from our perception that we are separated from God. That is an illusion of our senses and is not true . When something like a natural disaster occurs you have to realize that things that we perceive as evil are not so. Take earthquakes, in reality they relieve pressure from he earth crust , if there were no faults and no earthquakes the earth would blow up. Hurricanes are  climatic phenomena caused by intense heat creating rotating winds . However the same principle  helps heat our planet without it some parts of the Earth would be too cold and some too hot for human habitation.

God being present in everything is by definition present in the suffering of people who see evil in a natural disaster or in any other challenge of life. He as love is there comforting people who are grieving But in fact the hurricane , earthquake, etc are not evil it is our perception that makes them so for us. People do not die  without there being a plan, suffering can be eliminated if one realizes that Evil is a wrong perception that lacks objective reality Good is the only truly real and lasting thing God is infinite good . Humans are spirit beings living in temporary bodies to grow in spirit and realiuzation that we are the image and likeness of our father God. When some one undergoes a painful experience, he or she learns from it Eventually after reincarnating and having several liife experiences we become fully aware of our nature as spiirt beings, sons and daughters of God and we express what Unity calls the Christ within , that is the God that lives in us . At that point we become One with the Father in manifestation and do not reincarnate anymore

You can experience the living God of love within you if you seek him in prayer and meditation  I would recommend you acquire the book The Voice of Love , and visit www.thevoiceforlove.com/voice-of-god.htm... as well as visit a unity or other new thought Center and seek counseling with a Minister or Licensed Teacher

God is the Only Reality

Ron

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 6:44PM #10
MsTopaz

May 8, 2012 -- 8:51AM, unitychaplain wrote:

Evil has no objective reality it springs from our perception that we are separated from God. That is an illusion of our senses and is not true . 

Thank you for the response, Ron. OK, i can see how someone could make the argument that a natural disaster is not "evil." But what about human actions against other humans? Would you not call genocide or child abuse evil?

I will read the book you suggested but I haven't done so yet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook