Switch to Forum Live View Mormonism and The Melting Pot
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 9:41PM #1
Acts 28:22
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2012 - 6:42PM #2
moksha8088

It’s no different in adult settings. Corporate lunchrooms, hospital cafeterias, you name it—people sit with their own kind. If this sounds racist, who’s the racist—everybody?

I'm not sure about this a philosophical defense.  Wouldn't most Mormons balk if the country viewed Mitt Romney in this manner?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 9:58PM #3
BillThinks4Himself

"My kids noticed it in grade school as class distinction became obvious, despite teachers’ efforts to join disparate groups.  The poor kids and the rich kids hung out separately. Later, in high school, the white kids, the Asian kids, the black kids, and the Hispanic kids all hung out with their own. Each of these groups even wore certain clothes and drove certain cars. And even though my children did make good friends with kids from some of these other groups, it was unusual, and only happened when the minority person had almost no other “birds of a feather” to connect with.

It’s no different in adult settings. Corporate lunchrooms, hospital cafeterias, you name it—people sit with their own kind. If this sounds racist, who’s the racist—everybody? And it isn’t always about race. It could be about age, income, or whether one group is gregarious and another group is shy. It could be the jocks vs. the intellectuals, the rowdies vs. the spiritual ones, or Conservatives vs. Liberals. Even in an all-white high school, you’ll never find the smokers and rebels fraternizing with the preppy kids and cheerleaders, unless you tune into a contrived TV sitcom.

It’s simply human nature. There is always a division based on personal identity, unless something dramatic happens."

Ugh.  I honestly think the LDS Church would be better served if the person who wrote these words would not attempt to preach anything to anybody.  Perhaps, she could lie and say she's a Southern  Baptist.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook