Switch to Forum Live View What Muslims take from the New Testament?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 12:30AM #1
Dudette
Hi there!

I love to "study" different religions and would like to know what Muslims keep from the New Testament.

Thank you for taking the time...Dudette
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2012 - 12:18PM #2
visio

Mar 21, 2012 -- 12:30AM, Dudette wrote:

Hi there!

I love to "study" different religions and would like to know what Muslims keep from the New Testament.

Thank you for taking the time...Dudette

Nothing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 11:12AM #3
Dudette

Hi visio!

What I'm looking for here is information which will help me find new "pieces of the puzzle" to help me have a better understanding of the link between the three religions Judaism, Christianity and Islam. 

If you dont think that any of the New Testament applies to Islam, you don't know who Paul is or what the Messiah is, I don't think that you can help me on my quest. 

However, thank you for trying! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 5:00AM #4
Miraj

Hi, Duddette! (cute name lol).  Thanks for the question.  Muslims know Jesus (pbuh) as a major prophet of God.  We venerate Mary as the virgin mother of Jesus and she is the only woman named in the Qur'an.  Islam considers believing Jews, Christians, and Muslims, known as ahl al kitab - people of the Book - as brothers and sisters before God.  The people who have earned God's favor, no matter what they called themselves, will enter into heaven on the Day of Judgment. Jesus will appear with God on that day.

I hope that helps!

Salaam

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 10:08AM #5
Dudette

Hi Miraj!

Thank you for taking the time!

Thank you for the information!

What I'm curious about is what is it about the way some followers of Jesus interpreted his message (eventually creating Christianity) that Muslims don't agree with.  Personally, I don't think that Jesus came to create a new religion so I think they might have got it wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 4:41PM #6
visio

Mar 25, 2012 -- 11:12AM, Dudette wrote:

Hi visio!

What I'm looking for here is information which will help me find new "pieces of the puzzle" to help me have a better understanding of the link between the three religions Judaism, Christianity and Islam. 

If you dont think that any of the New Testament applies to Islam, you don't know who Paul is or what the Messiah is, I don't think that you can help me on my quest. 

However, thank you for trying! 

Please don't get me wrong.   There are only three document/books of the earlier scriptures mentioned in the Al-Quran.   They are the Taurat (Torah), Zabur (The Psalms) and Injil (Gospel).   And Muslims understanding from the Al-Quran is that the mention of those specific names were in reference to what were originally revealed to the respective prophets - Moses, David and Jesus.   So what Muslims who read and understand the Al-Quran can tell  what were revealed to those prophets are what we can infer from the narratives as given in the Al-Quran which they can accept as authentic.

Now, first off, there is no mention of Old Testament, New Testament, Talmud, Paul's Letter's etc. etc.  It is too much to expect a Muslim to deal with all these new compilation and obvious revision that would naturally follow.   A casual walk into, say, the Christian Board, the chances of any meaningful conclusion seems so far remote with so much controversies and contradictions.  And you expect a Muslim to make that extra effort to read the OT or NT  and be the judge/arbitrator in those controversies/contradictions?

In as much as we try to be helpful, very much depends on how you articulate your request/questions.   A simple, unassuming questions could take a long way such as the OP which came with such a question as "What do Muslim think about Jesus and Mary?".

And, thank you for asking.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 5:32PM #7
Dudette

Hi visio!

I really appreciate you taking the time...thank you!

You write: There are only three document/books of the earlier scriptures mentioned in the Al-Quran.   They are the Taurat (Torah), Zabur (The Psalms) and Injil (Gospel). 

Thank you for this information...I didn't know.  I was aware about the Gospels but I thought that you also used all the prophets of the Torah.  

You also write: It is too much to expect a Muslim to deal with all these new compilation and obvious revision that would naturally follow.

Fair enough!  I only have one Muslim friend and he is aware of the Messiah and Paul so I assumed that every Muslim knew...sorry about that.

You add: And you expect a Muslim to make that extra effort to read the OT or NT  and be the judge/arbitrator in those controversies/contradictions?

I just wanted to know what Muslims think of Paul and if they see Mohammad as the Messiah prophetized in the Hebrew Scriptures as I was told by a Evangelical Protestant (and assuming that you pretty much all knew about this information.  sorry about the assumption.

I at least hope that every Muslim has the same Koran (as opposed to Christians who have very many different versions of the Bible).

You also add: In as much as we try to be helpful, very much depends on how you articulate your request/questions.   A simple, unassuming questions could take a long way such as the OP which came with such a question as "What do Muslim think about Jesus and Mary?".

I have to warn you that I'm French so, even though I understand English quite well, there are things that I may not get.  I can assure you that I'm doing my very best.

Thank you again for all this useful information...Dudette.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook