Switch to Forum Live View Jehovah's Witnesses - what we are currently studying and learning.
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 1:14PM #1
Newtonian

Jehovah's Witnesses - what we are currently studying and learning.   The easiest way for me personally to set matters straight on this is to accurately share with you all precisely what we are learning right now in all congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses at our 2 (actually 5 on two occasions) weekly meetings  [and also in our current literature - but that is for another thread]

Because of misinformation spread on the internet, and other reasons, many people have an inaccurate understanding of what we teach and what we highlight in our teaching - I will be corrrecting that.   Of course, the easiest way to confirm or deny what we teach is to go to our website and see for yourselves:

www.watchtower.org

The incentive for starting this thread are inaccurate assertions that

"1914 is the pivotal date for the existence of Jehovah's Witnesses" and that we also focus on the slave at our meetings. I was having heart trouble, and was going to miss the meeting - but this gave me added incentive to go so I could see if either 1914 or the slave would be mentioned at our meeting - neither was, btw - which is the case for most of our meetings.  Of course, I was rewarded with a veritable spiritual feast, as we always are at our meetings!

Essentially our meetings involve many aspects of Bible study and all Bible subjects - and there are many Bible subjects.

However our focus is essentially on John 3:16 - which was highlighted at our meeting last night when it was brought out that at our Memorial, coming 4/5/12 - we really show the world how important John 3:16 is for us!   And it was also highlighted that starting March 17th (this Saturday) we will be focussing on inviting our neighbors to join us on this Holy evening (after sundown, 4/5/12) in memory of what Jesus Christ did for us - the passing of the bread meaning Christ's flesh poured out for us, and the passing of the wine meaning Christ's blood poured out for us.

However, we covered many other Bible subjects at our meeting this week - and, for some of you who meet later in the week, this will actually be preparation for the meeting should you choose to attend (everyone is welcome, of course).

In my next post I will start with our Ministry School, and specifically the Bible reading all of Jehovah's Witnesses are doing this week: Jeremiah 5-7.

However, because some of you will not attend and really have no idea what we studied this week, I will first give this outline so all can post on this thread on any of the sujects we studied last night (or later in the week) at ALL congretations of Jehovah's Witnesses:

1.  We sang 3 songs - #'s 40, 63 and 109 in our songbook - if someone wishes to know what we sang/prayed - let me know and I will post detail - however all our songs are Bible based.

2.  We are still studying our book on Acts entitled "Bearing Thorough Witness about God's Kingdom" - this week chapter 18 par.1-5 and the boxes on pp. 142,144 - for 25 minutes.

For this thead - I will simply post the Scriptures we considered - along with a few points involvoing those Scriptures:

Chapter 18 is entitled

"Seek God, . . . and Really Find Him" and the chapter is based on Acts 17:16-34 - feel free to post on any of those verses - but note we will be studing those verses all month and into April!

The predetermined questions we considered were:

1-3. (a) Why is the apostle Paul greatly disturbed in Athens? (b) What can we learn by studying Paul’s example?

4, 5. Where did Paul preach in Athens, and what challenging audience awaited him?

Of of course, our study conductor asked many additional auxiliary questions.   Some main points we considered were the pantheon of Gods in Athens, including phallic statues of Hermes.   Studying Paul's example involved studying his speech in Acts 17:22-31.

Here, therefore, are the verses we considered last night:

(Acts 17:16-31) . . .Now while Paul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit within him came to be irritated at beholding that the city was full of idols. 17 Consequently he began to reason in the synagogue with the Jews and the other people who worshiped [God] and every day in the marketplace with those who happened to be on hand. 18 But certain ones of both the Ep·i·cu·re′an and the Sto′ic philosophers took to conversing with him controversially, and some would say: "What is it this chatterer would like to tell?" Others: "He seems to be a publisher of foreign deities." This was because he was declaring the good news of Jesus and the resurrection. 19 So they laid hold of him and led him to the Ar·e·op′a·gus, saying: "Can we get to know what this new teaching is which is spoken by you? 20 For you are introducing some things that are strange to our ears. Therefore we desire to get to know what these things purport to be." 21 In fact, all Athenians and the foreigners sojourning there would spend their leisure time at nothing but telling something or listening to something new. 22 Paul now stood in the midst of the Ar·e·op′a·gus and said: "Men of Athens, I behold that in all things YOU seem to be more given to the fear of the deities than others are. 23 For instance, while passing along and carefully observing YOUR objects of veneration I also found an altar on which had been inscribed ‘To an Unknown God.’ Therefore what YOU are unknowingly giving godly devotion to, this I am publishing to YOU. 24 The God that made the world and all the things in it, being, as this One is, Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in handmade temples, 25 neither is he attended to by human hands as if he needed anything, because he himself gives to all [persons] life and breath and all things. 26 And he made out of one [man] every nation of men, to dwell upon the entire surface of the earth, and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of the dwelling of [men], 27 for them to seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us. 28 For by him we have life and move and exist, even as certain ones of the poets among YOU have said, ‘For we are also his progeny.’ 29 "Seeing, therefore, that we are the progeny of God, we ought not to imagine that the Divine Being is like gold or silver or stone, like something sculptured by the art and contrivance of man. 30 True, God has overlooked the times of such ignorance, yet now he is telling mankind that they should all everywhere repent. 31 Because he has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and he has furnished a guarantee to all men in that he has resurrected him from the dead."

Besides studying Paul's speech, we also studied about the two groups of philosophers referred to in verse 18 - the Stoics and the Epicureans - and we considered how we might witness to people like that today.

I commented on witnessing to people like the stoics who appreciate Nature as created by God - I mentioned using reasoning like Paul did in Acts 17:24-26 about God creating the universe, earth and man and also Romans 1:20 since nature involves the "things made."

We also studied in depth about Athens, including Solon in the 6th century BCE.

I will let others post more detail - but note nothing in this 25 minute meeting involved 1914 or the slave.

Our next meeting was our Ministry School - we first considered Jeremiah chapters 5 - 7 - and many in this 10 minute part gave <30 second comments on whatever they found in that reading they wished to comment on.   I commented on Jeremiah 7:11

(Jeremiah

7:11) Has this house upon which my name has been called become a mere cave of robbers in YOUR eyes? Here I myself also have seen [it]," is the utterance of Jehovah.

And paraphrased Jesus quote of this verse at Matthew 21:13 when Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple and noted that Christendom today similar has money-making clergy and also do other things condemned in the account in Jeremiah.

What would you all choose to comment on in these chapters in Jeremiah?

The we read together Jeremiah 5:15-25 (c. 4 minutes) - thats Ministry School student talk #1.

Talk #2 considered why God allowed brother and sister to marry in the past - from our Reasoning book, pp. 252-253, to wit:

"In

the past why did God allow marriage between brother and sister?

The Bible record does indicate that Cain married one of his sisters (Gen. 4:17; 5:4) and that Abram married his half sister. (Gen. 20:12) But later, in the Law given through Moses, such marriage unions were specifically forbidden. (Lev. 18:9, 11) They are not permitted among Christians today. Marriage to a close relative results in a more-than-average probability that damaging hereditary factors will be passed on to their offspring.

Why was brother-and-sister marriage not inappropriate at the beginning of mankind’s history? God created Adam and Eve perfect and purposed that all humankind descend from them. (Gen. 1:28; 3:20) Obviously some marrying of close relatives, especially within the first few generations, would occur. Even after sin made its appearance, there was relatively little danger of marked deformities in the children during early generations, because the human race was much closer to the perfection that had been enjoyed by Adam and Eve. This is attested to by the longevity of people then. (See Genesis 5:3-8; 25:7.) But about 2,500 years after Adam became a sinner, God prohibited incestuous marriage. This served to safeguard the offspring and it elevated the sexual morality of Jehovah’s servants above that of people around them who were then engaging in all manner of depraved practices.—See Leviticus 18:2-18."

The sisters highlighted Genesis 1:28 (among other verses) - that Adam's sons married Adam's daughters - e.g. Cain and his wife.   What would you all have highlighted?

I would have highlighted the narrowing of the gene pool at the flood, and the further narrowing post-flood - and also the lowering the life spans during this period as a result - and then the fact that by Moses' time too many harmful mutational recessive traits had accumulated in the human genome so that close relative marriage was then forbidden - and that the human life span had also lowered by Moses' time to the current 70 or 80 years (Psalms 90:10)

No.

3: How Does Jehovah Protect His People From Spiritual Dangers? - 5 minutes.

No assigned material - the students have to do their own personal research and then answer the question Scripturally.   How would you have answered this question?

We also had our Service Meeting last night - but this post is getting too long - suffice it to say we did not mention 1914 or the slave, but we did refer to John 3:16 and the Memorial of Jesus death on the anniversary of Nisan 14, 33 CE which falls on 4/5/12 after sundown - we are meeting 8:30 PM, btw.

All are invited to attend.

The service meeting is 35 minutes, including 3 10 minute parts, the first a talk on developing ability as a teacher, the next two involving questions and answers.

The second  - "Always Offer to God a Sacrifice of Praise" (including experiences from our 2011 Yearbook, pp. 59 & 70.

The third (last) on "Keep doing this" - i.e. Jesus direction to observe the memorial/last supper,

to be continued

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 2:02PM #2
cherubino

Mar 14, 2012 -- 1:14PM, Newtonian wrote:

1.  We sang 3 songs - #'s 40, 63 and 109 in our songbook -

To someone who grew up on this, that would have been the end of it. (Part two)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 2:41PM #3
rangerken

This thread was moved from discuss Jehovah's Witnesses

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 2:58PM #4
Oeste

This thread was moved while I was responding to it.

I deleted my post since this is no longer part of the "Discuss Jehovah Witnesses" forum.

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag
you down to their level and then beat you with
experience ~ Mark Twain

If you are neutral on situations of injustice
you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~
Desmond Tutu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2012 - 2:42PM #5
marken

The only  reason  I  might  be  sad  that  this  post  was  moved  to  this  forum, is  because  so  few  check  it  out.   I  realize  that  the  reason  it  was  posted  in  the  discussion forum is  because  this  brother  wanted  others  to  see  that  our  meetings  are  so  upbuilding  spiritually.  Just  as  is  pointed  out  in  Heb  10:24,25. Any of  us  that  already  attend  the meetings know  this  fact  for  ourselves. 

with  affection  from  Marken

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook