Switch to Forum Live View Is Mormonism just another branch of Christianity?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2012 - 7:04PM #1
Acts 28:22

Is Mormonism just another branch of Christianity?

I marvel at this guy's ignorance

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 8:22PM #2
Acts 28:22

Feb 8, 2012 -- 5:14AM, CometintheSky wrote:

Regarding Internet research, Mormonism is a cult organization, therefore it is not Christian.

Well thank you very much for dropping in to inform us Comet.  Not being a Catholic sect or a product of the Reformation, we expect, as a byproduct of being Christ's true Church restored, to get smeared by some in the "orthadox" denominations. (see Acts 28:22)  Some things never change. 

Oh by the way, this Forum is a place for LDS folks to discuss and share information, ideas and opinions.  You might feel more at home at the DISCUSS smear MORMONISM FORUM, you'll find like minded folks there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 10:32PM #3
withwonderingawe

I was about to say the same thing so; Amen

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 9:38PM #4
BillThinks4Himself

I like the reference to "discuss/smear Mormonism board."  That's an apt description.  I hate that board.  Kudos.

I was going to add my own strange twist to this.  

People who smear Mormonism as a "cult" are reacting, as they do, because Mormonism is not "just another branch of Christianity."  In fact, their major fit really comes down to the fact that Mormonism offers a version of Christianity different from their own.  You'd think they'd have a similar fit hundreds, if not thousands, of times when encountering all of the splinters of Christianity created by Protestantism's failed experiment at finding New Testament Christianity by handing out Bibles and hoping for the best.

They don't because, for all of their differences, most Protestant churches are singing the same tune.  They're like a line of frat houses on the edge of campus, each one sporting a different sign but all of them engaged in the same game.  All of them are little twists on the same theme, one of happily playing church, without the authority of the Catholic priesthood.

As LeGrand Richards argued, you can't get living branches off a dead tree.  If Catholicism is wrong, how can Protestantism be right - particularly when the Reformed, Anglican and Presbyterian churches are just imitations?  Talk about piracy?  Catholicism provides a structure, under the authority of the Pope, that these other churches imitate, on their own, with a few twists.  The Quakers and the Baptists just whittle it down a little further.  America has created its own little twists - like Seventh-day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses and Evangelicals.  Only Mormonism provides a completely novel system of belief.

But that's consistent with the message of the Restoration.  The modern desire to be accepted as a Protestant peer is really un-Mormon.  From the very beginning, Mormons found the faith in their journey away from Protestantism, which they saw as so lacking as to point toward one of two things: the end of faith or the need for a nrew beginning.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2012 - 1:13AM #5
moksha8088

I doubt any cults have business plans, hefty Wall Street portfolios, big games ranches or a luxury mall. Let them be envious, since we are as Christian as mom and apple pie.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2012 - 2:38PM #6
brent7

The church is either the only true Christian church, or is a great fraud. We cannot hover on the fence like the great majority of the protestant churches - many of whom now say they are all christian even though they disagree on even the mode of becoming a christian. I respectfully submit that to become a christian we must follow his law - repenting, getting baptized, and following his commandments. These are His own words. We cannot become christian following the altered paths now accepted by many churches - for example - becoming a christian as a baby who cannot repent or accept him. Or being baptized by sprinkling when it is apparent that Christ was baptized by immersion, and the early christians were as well. That sprinkling with "holy water [salted]" was instituted by an apostate church centuries after Christ.

Anyway, I invite all those who wish to examine the truths of the Bible to post their questions here. We have many converts who have been through the same questions, and know much about the gospel.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2012 - 2:52PM #7
BillThinks4Himself

Feb 12, 2012 -- 2:38PM, brent7 wrote:

The church is either the only true Christian church, or is a great fraud.

What if it's a fraud, but a great one?  Can Christmas still be magical, even if Santa is your mom?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2012 - 6:30PM #8
brent7

Bill - kind of a strange post. It is not a fraud. That doesn't mean that the church does not have faults or at least the people in it, but that the Lord is working through His one true Church - of this I bear record - that the spirit has spoken to me, and does through other members of this church, and that it is His true church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2012 - 9:31PM #9
BillThinks4Himself

Feb 12, 2012 -- 6:30PM, brent7 wrote:

Bill - kind of a strange post. It is not a fraud. That doesn't mean that the church does not have faults or at least the people in it, but that the Lord is working through His one true Church - of this I bear record - that the spirit has spoken to me, and does through other members of this church, and that it is His true church.

My point is that the LDS Church would be great - regardless. Good people of all faiths would agree.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 6:13PM #10
Lookbeyond

If "Mormonism" is just a "branch" of Christianity, as questioned, then we would be no different than any other of the many "Protestant" branches that broke from Catholicism which claims to be the "original Church".......

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a protestant movement or an offshoot of any other religion. It is our claim that God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in answer to his prayer of which of all the churches he should join. Joseph was instructed to join none of the churches!

It is understandable that honest, believing people may take offense at this, but if God did not acknowledge any of the then presently organized churches, the question should then be asked why? We can go to the scriptures for our answers! Isaiah 29:13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: 14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.....18. And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

When there is an environment in which the teachings are strictly from the Bible and the private interpretation by the preachers of the day; when it is taught that the heavens are sealed and there can be no more revelation from God to man on the earth, then the question must be asked: WHY? Do we not need guidance today with all the confusion about religion that exists? Again we can go to the scriptures and find our answer......it was the Lord's intention that His church that He established should remain until we all come in the unity of the faith. His was a Church established upon the foundation of Apostles and Prophets to whom He gave power and authority to administer the ordinances of the Church to the people. Ephesians 4:11-14 is clear on the purpose of said organization and for how long it was intended to remain!

Acts 8:14-21 tells us of one Simon who thought the power of the Holy Priesthood which the Apostles had been given by the Savior could be purchased!  Today, there are many who so believe they must receive "degrees of Divinity" in order to establish or minister in a church! That is true for any church other than The Church of Jesus Christ!

The ordinance of baptism had been changed by some to be by sprinkling, losing the symbolism of the death and burial and resurrection of the Savior! Not any wonder the Lord told Joseph the other churches were an "abomination" to Him! The apostate churches had built up churches to themselves for gain and profit! Knowing the salvation of mankind was at stake, His anger was indeed kindled against those who had taken it upon themselves, without the benefit of revelation from God, to change what God had decreed!

It was obvious a restoration of all things was necessary in the latter-days, in preparation for the Second Coming of the Savior! The gospel was to be preached to all the world, and how could that happen if it was not upon the earth in its fulness? The restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth today, with apostles and prophets to lead and guide us through all of the confusing doctrines found in the world today. James 1:5-7 inspired young Joseph to ask God, the Eternal Father, which of all the churches he should join...and we too must ask God, with real intent, which of all the Churches is accepted and acknowledge by Him. Who has that same priesthood power that was given anciently to John the Baptist; Peter, James and John for the work of the ministry, to seal upon earth that which will be sealed in heaven and acknowledge by God?

No, Mormonism in not just another branch of Christianity.....it is true Christianity restored by Heavenly Father to the earth, having the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, with all power and authority as existed in the Early Church as spoken of in Ephesians.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook