3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2012 - 3:05PM #1
Jupiter6208
Hello everyone,

What is the Bahai Faiths stance of voting again?  is it that you can vote for a canidate but not belong to a Political party  please clarify.

Thanks. 
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 11:10AM #2
world citizen

Hi Jupiter ~

The guiding principle of this Faith, and the primary message of Baha'u'llah, is that of Unity.  Baha'u'llah's mission (as promised to mankind) was to bring the flocks into one fold under one Shepherd.  Those things that divide people are to be avoided.  The mischief of party politics is certainly one of them.  Voting is done for an individual who, to our personal knowledge, best exhibits unifying qualities.  Who I vote for might not be the same person another Baha'i votes for.  It is a matter of personal conscience and choice after investigation of facts available to us.

As to the political prejudice, the policy of God must be followed and it is indisputable that the policy of God is greater than human policy.  WE must follow the Divine policy that applies alike to all individuals.  He treats all individuals alike: no distinction is made, and that is the foundation of the Divine Religions.  (~Abdu'l-Baha, "Tablet to the Hague," p. 6)

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 11:28AM #3
Jupiter6208

Thank you World.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2012 - 10:14PM #4
Kalzera

The general principle is to vote your conscience and participate in elections:

"O thou servant of Baha'! Thou hast asked regarding the political affairs. In the United States it is necessary that the citizens shall take part in elections. This is a necessary matter and no excuse from it is possible. My object in telling the believers that they should not  343  interfere in the affairs of government is this: That they should not make any trouble and that they should not move against the opinion of the government, but obedience to the laws and the administration of the commonwealth is necessary. Now, as the government of America is a republican form of government, it is necessary that all the citizens shall take part in the elections of officers and take part in the affairs of the republic." -- Abdu'l-Bahá, Tablets of Abdu'l-Bahá v2, p. 342

However, those aspects of the political system beyond voting are left to individual decision, except outright campaigning. We aren't allowed to publicly campaign for or endorse candidates or political parties, because that's partisan. Individually, however, we can favor one above another, talk** (as opposed to argue) about it amongst friends, etc. I personally wouldn't send money to a campaign, but that's a decision an individual would have to make for themselves. That also holds true for candidate merchandise, such as hoodies, clothes, bags, buttons, etc. I know quite a few Bahá'ís that support Barack Obama and his re-election, and regurlarly post about it on Facebook. However, I doubt they have yard-signs, campaign merchandise, or that they've donated to campaigns. 

However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2012 - 12:13PM #5
Jupiter6208

Feb 5, 2012 -- 10:14PM, Kalzera wrote:

The general principle is to vote your conscience and participate in elections:

"O thou servant of Baha'! Thou hast asked regarding the political affairs. In the United States it is necessary that the citizens shall take part in elections. This is a necessary matter and no excuse from it is possible. My object in telling the believers that they should not  343  interfere in the affairs of government is this: That they should not make any trouble and that they should not move against the opinion of the government, but obedience to the laws and the administration of the commonwealth is necessary. Now, as the government of America is a republican form of government, it is necessary that all the citizens shall take part in the elections of officers and take part in the affairs of the republic." -- Abdu'l-Bahá, Tablets of Abdu'l-Bahá v2, p. 342

However, those aspects of the political system beyond voting are left to individual decision, except outright campaigning. We aren't allowed to publicly campaign for or endorse candidates or political parties, because that's partisan. Individually, however, we can favor one above another, talk** (as opposed to argue) about it amongst friends, etc. I personally wouldn't send money to a campaign, but that's a decision an individual would have to make for themselves. That also holds true for candidate merchandise, such as hoodies, clothes, bags, buttons, etc. I know quite a few Bahá'ís that support Barack Obama and his re-election, and regurlarly post about it on Facebook. However, I doubt they have yard-signs, campaign merchandise, or that they've donated to campaigns. 

Hello Kalzera,

Thank you for your explanation, Just Curious if you are a Bahá'í why do you call yourself a Progressive Christian? i found that interesting.

Peace.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 2:53PM #6
Kalzera

I define myself as a Bahá'í, and I am a declared Bahá'í.

I put "Progressive Christian, Sufi," and perhaps a few other things under "faith description" because it's a simpler way to describe my basic beliefs to those familiar with Christianity and not the intriciate Shaykhi Shi'ite-Orthodox Christian-Sunni/Sufi theological matrix that Bahá'u'lláh drew from in choosing the words that present His theology. 

In other words, I'm a religion major at a university and express my Faith with more technicallity than other Bahá'ís, so asking me what I "believe" is a bit more difficult to answer as opposed to asking any other Bahá'í, because I focus on completely different aspects of the Faith. 

-- Kal

However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook