Switch to Forum Live View "No good thing does the Lord withhold from him who walks uprightly"
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 8:39PM #1
Dong
What does this verse mean?

If I am upright and I want straight A's in school will I get it?

If I am upright and I want to have a phd will I get it?

If I am upright and I want to make lots of money will I get it? How much will I get?

If I am upright and I want to marry a doctor will I get that?

What is considered a good thing? 

Why doesn't it say "no good thing does He withthold from him who is hard working?" It says upright. 

Thanks 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 11:39PM #2
ffb

there are 2 aspects to consider here -- the first is based on the words:

the text of tehillim 84:12 states that if a person walks "tamim" in perfection or wholesomeness, he will not have the "tov" withheld. Tov often refers to the torah itself -- a man whose path is righteous will not have any understanding withheld.

the other comes from an intersting website:

"   An important note must be made here: In order for the God-fearing man to properly fulfill his life's missions and walk in the ways of God, he needs heavenly help. In order to eat from the labor of his hands, God must give him the strength to succeed in his labor; in order to establish a family together with a good God-fearing woman, he needs the grace of God to bring them together; and certainly the birth of many healthy children and their successful upbringing requires a great deal of Divine help. The basis for receiving such help, however, lies in the person's efforts to properly fulfill these human responsibilities – to walk in the paths of God. The perspective of the first half of our psalm relates to the ways of the man who walks in the paths of God, but it is understood by implication that a God-fearing man who chooses such a life will merit Divine assistance, for "He does not withhold good from those who walk uprightly" (Tehilim84:12)."

vbm-torah.org/archive/tehillim69/18tehil...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 3:01PM #3
Bunsinspace

Jan 11, 2012 -- 8:39PM, Dong wrote:

What does this verse mean?

BS"D

It means Hashem is not an evil force and that evil things do not happen because of an evil intent by the Creator.  It means that there is no such thing in reality as a good deed that has no effect or no value.  It means that any mitzvo you do will have real effects on the world for good.  It means there is no cause and effect between any good you do and any evil that befalls you. 

But above all it means that when you act with character and integrity everything that happens to you will be to improve that character and integrity - so that when you set out to do good you should never be discouraged because you perceive you are not getting anywhere or are not making a difference.

If I am upright and I want straight A's in school will I get it?

No, you have to work for it and overcome all the obstacles that might appear in your way.

If I am upright and I want to have a phd will I get it?

No, same as above.

If I am upright and I want to make lots of money will I get it? How much will I get?

No, same as above.  You will get whatever you work for and whatever you overcome obstacles to achieve.  It is NOT a zero-sum game.   You may leave this world without ever seeing the fruits of your labor but you can rest assured that the labor will bear fruit in this world.

If I am upright and I want to marry a doctor will I get that?

If you want to marry a doctor then find a doctor, work to make that one your friend, learn how you complement each other and work on both of your behaviors so as to live together as a team.

What is considered a good thing?

Whatever you do not consider as "evil." 

Why doesn't it say "no good thing does He withthold from him who is hard working?" It says upright.

Because in order to perceive all things you receive as good (and this is a hard skill to learn) you must condition your thoughts and actions to be actively participating in the redemption of the world that is one's legacy as a Jew.  This is called "righteous" behavior.  It is neither false piety nor heartless superiority.  It is doing mitzvos as a lifestyle.  This text encourages one to live a life of doing mitzvos.  It is encouragement to live as a Jew.   

An analogy would be mastering a trade.  If one wants to be successful in the trade and be promoted one must condition one's thoughts and actions along those lines.  Likewise if one wants to personally experience Creation as good then one must condition one's thoughts and actions to be continually aware of that fact.  Of course that leaves little room for the ego.  But what one loses in personal pride one gains in observing the beauty of Creation.  The more one works on oneself in this regard the more one perceives the presence of the Divine in all things.

Thanks 

You are welcome.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook