Switch to Forum Live View Vegetarianism and Islam
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 8:24PM #1
Morganusartus
Assalamu alaikum, brothers and sisters. Firstly, this is my very first post here and I apologise if I'm not posting in the correct place, but assuming it's okay, I'd like to pose my question to you all.

I am a recent revert, and lately I have been also considering adopting a vegetarian lifestyle, insha'Allah. I've been hunting for answers as to whether or not this is permissible, but admittedly the information I've found is unclear. What I would like to know is: is it explicitly considered haram to be a vegetarian and a Muslim, regardless of reason? I have heard that it is haram to be against the killing of animals, since Allah made it halal, but I'm not sure how true this is (I read it on the internet). My reasons for considering vegetarianism are chiefly for my own health. I am very overweight and I feel like I'm not eating as well as I ought to be. I must also confess that, since cutting pork from my diet following my conversion, it's caused me to look at all meat in a different light. I'm slowly finding dishes containing meat to be less desirable than similar vegetarian alternatives.

For example, my mother (who is not Muslim, but supports me) was going to make beef enchiladas for supper. Eventually, we decided against it because she wasn't in the mood to cook and I wasn't in the mood for enchiladas (or so I thought). As we were walking through the grocery store, I came across a single-serve vegetarian enchilada meal, and my interest was immediately piqued. I bought the meal and it was very satisfying, which is odd since I outright rejected the thought of the dish when my mother proposed it.

To clarify, it is not because I'm against the human consumption of meat that I'm considering vegetarianism. It is purely for my own lifestyle and (I believe) my own betterment and health. I am fully grateful to Allah for allowing us to eat animals, and meat has played a large part in my upbringing. Bearing these things in mind, would it still be considered haram for me to cut all meat from my diet?

Thank you in advance for your time and information. Assalamu alaikum.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2012 - 6:39PM #2
Ibn

Wa alaikum assalaam

My apology that no one replied for several days.

It is not forbidden to stop eating meat. It is halal to cut out any type of food that is not good for your health.

Please do not think that just because it is fine in Islam to eat (halal) meat, it is haram not to eat it. Health and life come first. Even in case of pork, which is forbidden in Islam, it is allowed to eat it if there is no other food and you are absolutely desperate for food. Saving life comes before sticking to laws about food. 

[2.173] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[5.3] Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, and the strangled (animal) and that beaten to death, and that killed by a fall and that killed by being smitten with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten, except what you slaughter, and what is sacrificed on stones set up (for idols) and that you divide by the arrows; that is a transgression. This day have those who disbelieve despaired of your religion, so fear them not, and fear Me. This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion; but whoever is compelled by hunger, not inclining willfully to sin, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

I hope it helps.

Salaam

Ibn

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2012 - 10:18PM #3
Morganusartus

Jan 13, 2012 -- 6:39PM, Ibn wrote:

Wa alaikum assalaam

My apology that no one replied for several days.

It is not forbidden to stop eating meat. It is halal to cut out any type of food that is not good for your health.

Please do not think that just because it is fine in Islam to eat (halal) meat, it is haram not to eat it. Health and life come first. Even in case of pork, which is forbidden in Islam, it is allowed to eat it if there is no other food and you are absolutely desperate for food. Saving life comes before sticking to laws about food. 

[2.173] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[5.3] Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, and the strangled (animal) and that beaten to death, and that killed by a fall and that killed by being smitten with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten, except what you slaughter, and what is sacrificed on stones set up (for idols) and that you divide by the arrows; that is a transgression. This day have those who disbelieve despaired of your religion, so fear them not, and fear Me. This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion; but whoever is compelled by hunger, not inclining willfully to sin, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

I hope it helps.

Salaam

Ibn

Jazakallah khayran, brother! I appreciate your clear, detailed answer.

Salaam,
Morgan. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 3:00PM #4
Abdullah.

Wa Alaikum as-Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh dear akhi and welcome to the forum

it will be ok for you to go 'veggie' for you are doing out of personal preference

tastes of food are indeed down to preference, for example allthough a certain type of lizard is halaal, yet the prophet [saw] disliked it and did not eat it

so it is perfectly ok for you to be a veggie since you dont consider the consumption of halaal meat to be innapropriate; one other thing i'd advice is that you dont think that it is better to be a veggie, for the Prophet [saw] himself ate meat

However Qurbani [sacrificing a sheep or cow] will be still an obligation on you on Ied al adha if you are elligible for giving zakaat

hope that helps

Salaam

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 8:35PM #5
Morganusartus

Jan 22, 2012 -- 3:00PM, Abdullah. wrote:

Wa Alaikum as-Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh dear akhi and welcome to the forum

it will be ok for you to go 'veggie' for you are doing out of personal preference

tastes of food are indeed down to preference, for example allthough a certain type of lizard is halaal, yet the prophet [saw] disliked it and did not eat it

so it is perfectly ok for you to be a veggie since you dont consider the consumption of halaal meat to be innapropriate; one other thing i'd advice is that you dont think that it is better to be a veggie, for the Prophet [saw] himself ate meat

However Qurbani [sacrificing a sheep or cow] will be still an obligation on you on Ied al adha if you are elligible for giving zakaat

hope that helps

Salaam

Jazakallah khayran; I'll most definitely take your advice to heart. I don't think it's better, per se, to be vegetarian. Only that it's better for my health to have a vegetarian diet. For the most part, I do still enjoy meat, but my preference for it has become markedly less as compared to my taste for it before I reverted. If given a choice, I would prefer not to eat it, but I don't disdain it by any means, nor do I think it unsuitable for consumption like some vegetarians and vegans do. Allah (swt) made it available to us, so of course it is good, but I simply feel like I ought to abstain from it at this point in my life for my own improvement.

Again, I thank you for your response and advice.

Salaam. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 9:45PM #6
visio

Just to add to what had been posted.

1.   It is already said in the Al-Quran of the following:

Al-Mulk   67 : 15   It is ALLAH Who has made the earth subservient to you;  so walk in the path thereof and it of ALLAH provision.   And to ALLAH will be the resurrection.

2.   And about meat eating there is an interesting note in the words of Prophet Muhammadsaw in the Hadith about the plight of Hajar & Ismael in desolated Makkah and the construction of the Ka'abah (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 4, #583).   I just requote the relevent para which i hope is self-explanatory.

............ So he (Ibrahim) came to Ishmael's wife and asked her about Ishmael. She (Ismael's second wife) said, 'He has gone in search of our livelihood.' Abraham asked her, 'How are you getting on?' asking her about their sustenance and living. She replied, 'We are prosperous and well-off (i.e. we have everything in abundance).' Then she thanked Allah' Abraham said, 'What kind of food do you eat?' She said. 'Meat.' He said, 'What do you drink?' She said, 'Water." He said, "O Allah! Bless their meat and water." The Prophet (Muhammadsaw) added, "At that time they did not have grain, and if they had grain, he would have also invoked Allah to bless it." The Prophet added, "If somebody has only these two things as his sustenance, his health and disposition will be badly affected, unless he lives in Mecca."

[Underlining is mine]

I'll keep wondering .....there must be some magics in the air of Mecca, till to-day.  It must be a unique interaction between the changing level variation of such factors of heat, dryness, coldness and wetness to protect and/or recuperate/heal all of ALLAHswt's Chosen Slaves who reside there or come to the place as visitors and pilgrims during the Hajj season.  And very well, ALLAH is All-Aware of what He does especially to those who follow His Commands, as outlined in the Al-Quran & Hadith/Sunna of the Prophet.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook