Switch to Forum Live View Free Speech or Indoctrination?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2012 - 1:10AM #1
BillThinks4Himself
Schools around the country commonly have a club called The Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), which is supposed to be a support group for Christians - a Christian club - allowing Christian students the same freedom of association as others.  But there are sometimes concerns that the FCA can be turned into a base of operations for on-campus proselytizing.

In Missouri, the ACLU has squared off against St. Joseph School District over the district's practice of inviting guest speakers onto campus, by way of the FCA, in order to promote religion and involvement in off-campus religious activities.

To what extent is this a national issue?  Should the FCA be able to invite religious speakers onto campus in order to promote religious beliefs and/or practices?  Where is the line between protecting students and protecting students' rights to participate in FCA?  Is this the new battle line in the so-called "culture wars?" 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2012 - 10:05PM #2
farragut

A few "friends" of mine are quite involved in the FCA. They are as certain as they can be that they are doing GOD's work. And, no, they have no business infecting the campus of a public school. Let them use their churches.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2012 - 11:44PM #3
BillThinks4Himself

I agree.

I don't have a problem with letting any group bring in its own speakers, to rally the troops and help one another to give each other solidarity.

But when you have attempts to bring in others, by using such rallies as propaganda, the risk of mischief is unreasonable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2012 - 12:40AM #4
BillThinks4Himself

The gauntlet is thrown down, by David Silverman, president of American Atheists.  He's challenging Cee Lo Green to sing "Imagine," with its original lyrics, at the Reason Rally in Washington.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook