2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2011 - 8:13PM #1
Eveningstar69
Merry Meet everyone and happy new years!

Now, I understand that not everyone can afford to go out in the chilly weather and celebrate the new year traditionally, so my question boils down to this: What subtle ways do you celebrate Samhain?

-Star

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2011 - 9:50PM #2
Sacrificialgoddess

Oct 31, 2011 -- 8:13PM, Eveningstar69 wrote:

Now, I understand that not everyone can afford to go out in the chilly weather and celebrate the new year traditionally, so my question boils down to this: What subtle ways do you celebrate Samhain?

-Star

You go out?  Traditionally, I stay in for Samhain. 

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2011 - 10:10PM #3
Eveningstar69

Yeah I don't mind celebrating outside: rain or shine, cold or hot. It just takes a few minutes to get aclamated to the temperature and then after that you don't really notice it, then again I have the attention span of a magpie.

At the moment my living conditions cosist of close quarters apartment complex two blocks down from the university. So it's best to just keep low. I cooked a feast yesterday (everyone had work today), lighting a candle today since I can't have a bonfire, and maybe I will go for a stroll through the local graveyard later this evening. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2011 - 11:42PM #4
Ravenwood

I am fortunate enough that I have a room dedicated to ritual in my home.  After spending some time in there I went outside and walked in the woods behind my home.  There was a slight drizzle and a chill in the air.  Of course after ritual I am dancing on the wispy air so it bothered me none.  It was dark and wonderful.  I sometimes wish  I could feel always as I do this night.

Of course for me it was a solitary experience as my wife slept (fallen Catholic she...).

Another beautiful year begins.  Joyous Samhain All!

RW

In spring time,
the pretty little ring time,
birds sing, hey! ding!
sweet lovers love,
the spring!

Willy Wonka
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 1:26PM #5
KeaErisdottir

-Star

This question presumes a lot about Samhain and what is apropriate for its celebration.

Wicca typcally reserves Samhain for doing work for The Dead.  This work can begin anywhere from sundown on the 30th and end at sundown on All Souls Day.  Much of this depends on how you view the work, what tradition teaches, and what the needs are.

Samhain is also the beginning of The Dark of the Year, which runs to either Yule or Imbolc, depending on the teachings you work from.  It is not THE New Year, but rather one of three (Samhain, Yule, Imbolc).

It is not a question of subtle, but more a question of what one ought to be doing for The Dead.  I've not celebrated a secular Halloween in 12 or 13 years. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 2:10PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 3, 2011 -- 1:26PM, KeaErisdottir wrote:

-Star

This question presumes a lot about Samhain and what is apropriate for its celebration.

Wicca typcally reserves Samhain for doing work for The Dead.  This work can begin anywhere from sundown on the 30th and end at sundown on All Souls Day.  Much of this depends on how you view the work, what tradition teaches, and what the needs are.

Samhain is also the beginning of The Dark of the Year, which runs to either Yule or Imbolc, depending on the teachings you work from.  It is not THE New Year, but rather one of three (Samhain, Yule, Imbolc).

It is not a question of subtle, but more a question of what one ought to be doing for The Dead.  I've not celebrated a secular Halloween in 12 or 13 years. 

You don't even hand out candy to the little rugrats who come running to your door?  I think you may have missed out on some cute costumes!  :)

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook