Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Now on facebook too.
3 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 6:39PM #1
RevDorris
Unitarian Community is now on facebook too.l  You are invited to come and check us out.

www.facebook.com/pages/Unitarian-Communi...
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 2:58PM #2
JCarlin

Best wishes on your venture.  I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by lumping atheists with Fundamentalist Christians.  Not all atheists are anti-theists.  There is a large group of atheist UUs that might fit in well.  But, your group, your choice. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 6:17PM #3
RevDorris

J Carlin

Thank you for your best wishes.

I think you misread the post and the reference to atheists.

"The only folks who have felt uncomfortable or objected have been Atheists who object to God Talk or Spirituality and fundamentalist Christians who declare that Jesus is God."

These are the very people who have attacked my views on beliefnet.  If you will recall several self declared atheists tried to prevent me from posting as a Unitarian.  Fundamentalist Christians here were declaring I was a dangerous man.

"I count as friends Christians, Sufi, Muslims, Buddhist, Hindu, Gnostic, Jews, and all the Metaphyscians who seek for Truth and knowledge, just to name a few. We even have atheist/agnostic friends who think Spirituality is important and necessary."

Please notice that atheist and agnostics who think Spirituality is important and necessary are welcome.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 9:59PM #4
JCarlin

Oct 28, 2011 -- 6:17PM, RevDorris wrote:

"The only folks who have felt uncomfortable or objected have been Atheists who object to God Talk or Spirituality...

I suspect that there are few atheists that object to God talk (although they are quite vocal in many UU churches.  But those are not your market in any case.)  But if God belief is a prerequisite, again you lose the atheist.  

If spirituality is defined as a God given attribute, then perhaps you will lose most of the atheists.  If you are willing to accept spirituality as a natural reward mechanism in humans and don't insist on a connection to God you may broaden you appeal to atheists.

Again, I wish you well in either case.

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 11:47PM #5
Jupiter6208

Everything has a connection to God. IMO no offence..

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2011 - 2:56AM #6
DotNotInOz

All humans feel awe and wonder resulting from certain things--a beautiful sunrise or sunset, rainbow after a bad thunderstorm, the first day of chilly weather portending the coming of winter, an unexpected act of kindness, a child's delight in simple things.

That we do is simply human, no gods involved, IMO. Current research has identified areas of the brain which react in this way. We're all wired to marvel at things. Call that god/dess-given or brain chemistry, whichever suits you better.

I think that labeling it god/dess-given doesn't serve any very useful purpose but to perpetuate the belief that such abilities can't be explained by anything but a supernatural cause. That's simply how I see such.

"All kinds make the world more interesting," sez me (except when the other kinds insist I must believe as they do.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2011 - 5:14AM #7
JCarlin

Oct 28, 2011 -- 11:47PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Everything has a connection to God. IMO no offence..

No offense taken.  I don't. 

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2011 - 5:22AM #8
JCarlin

Oct 29, 2011 -- 2:56AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

All humans feel awe and wonder resulting from certain things--a beautiful sunrise or sunset, rainbow after a bad thunderstorm, the first day of chilly weather portending the coming of winter, an unexpected act of kindness, a child's delight in simple things.

That we do is simply human, no gods involved, IMO. Current research has identified areas of the brain which react in this way. We're all wired to marvel at things.

Thanks, Dot, for a clear, beautiful and succinct discription of human spirituality. 

Theists may try to hijack it, but they inevitably debase it in the service of God/dess.  As you note they are welcome to do so, and I take no offense, but I do take my spirituality straight.

It will be interesting to see how Rev. Dorris treats it.  

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2011 - 8:36AM #9
RevDorris

Spirit is the active force or energy that is within and around all things.  Spirituality is an individuals search and/or desire to understand how the spirit works and to be able to relate to it.  There are spiritual laws just as there are physical laws.  When we see the spiritual and the physical as One then we begin to understand the connection and unity of all things.

Yes, there is the One in whom we live and have our being.  I refer to this One as God.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2011 - 11:55AM #10
DotNotInOz

And having discussed my interpretation vs. his with RevD previously, I know him to be a reasonable man who supports my perception that whatever it is that animates our physical bodies is simply energy which may or may not have a supernatural origin (but likely does not, IMO). He calls that force spirit, a manifestation of The One as he perceives it.

Poe-TAY-toe/poe-TAH-toe...that's all.

Confirmation of the above may be found in RevD's having said the following: Spirit is the active force or energy that is within and around all things.  Spirituality is an individuals search and/or desire to understand how the spirit works and to be able to relate to it.

Beyond that point, he and I part semantic ways somewhat. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook