Post Reply
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 3:54PM #1
shirleyj227
Posts: 10,983

All my life I have been positive but lately I have been thinking why? I do not see the reason to live. I mean it all ends in death anyway.


Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 3:58PM #2
wohali
Posts: 10,227

Isn't that a bit like saying; what's the use in baking a cake because it just gets eaten?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:14PM #3
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Oct 6, 2011 -- 3:54PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


All my life I have been positive but lately I have been thinking why? I do not see the reason to live. I mean it all ends in death anyway.


Shirley



There's no particular reason to live, but most of us have got into the habit of it. As long as we're doing it, we might as well make the best of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:24PM #4
Aka_me
Posts: 12,059

there are many reasons to enjoy life to the fullest:


passion for a hobby, mine is flying.


passion for those we love, mine is my wife and son.


pleasure of experiencing new things, like getting a pilot's license, or flying an ultalight at 5300 feet to discover a commercial airplane coming straight at you wondering if you have enough metal to show up on their radar.


satisfaction of making the world a better place.


enjoyment of helping someone in need.


even simple things like an excellent dinner with someone special.


 


for many theists... believing we carry these memories with us beyond physical death is highly meaningful.


I've long felt like life is passing me by, without having done anything extraordinary. since Steve Jobs passed away I've been asking myself "why does that does it bother me so much?".

there can be no meaning or value to life, in a universe devoid of meaning and value... because the moment those who knew you are gone, you will never have existed at all.

if you see anyone not screaming at the top of their lungs THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING! then for prophet Gore's sake help them see the light that doing so is the only means we have of getting off fossil fuel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:27PM #5
teilhard
Posts: 50,693

"Life" does seem to be Its own Raison d'etre ....


Oct 6, 2011 -- 3:54PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


All my life I have been positive but lately I have been thinking why? I do not see the reason to live. I mean it all ends in death anyway.


Shirley





Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:29PM #6
wohali
Posts: 10,227

Don't know if anyone remembers a movie with Robert Duval and James Earl Jones, "A Family Thing".


My favorite scene is Duval explaining to his newly met nephew that happiness is as simple as having something to look forward to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:34PM #7
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Oct 6, 2011 -- 4:24PM, Aka_me wrote:

I've long felt like life is passing me by, without having done anything extraordinary.


Where would we be if it weren't for the billions of people who never do anything extraordinary? They keep things going.


since Steve Jobs passed away I've been asking myself "why does that does it bother me so much?".



I suppose Steve Jobs did some extraordinary things, but he's past caring about them now. I've always been a PC user, so I didn't care about most of them when he was alive.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:45PM #8
shirleyj227
Posts: 10,983

Oct 6, 2011 -- 3:58PM, wohali wrote:

Isn't that a bit like saying; what's the use in baking a cake because it just gets eaten?


When it is gone it is gone.


Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:46PM #9
shirleyj227
Posts: 10,983

Oct 6, 2011 -- 4:14PM, Ken wrote:

Oct 6, 2011 -- 3:54PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


All my life I have been positive but lately I have been thinking why? I do not see the reason to live. I mean it all ends in death anyway.


Shirley



There's no particular reason to live, but most of us have got into the habit of it. As long as we're doing it, we might as well make the best of it.


What is the best of it?


Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:50PM #10
shirleyj227
Posts: 10,983

Oct 6, 2011 -- 4:24PM, Aka_me wrote:


there are many reasons to enjoy life to the fullest:


passion for a hobby, mine is flying.


passion for those we love, mine is my wife and son.


pleasure of experiencing new things, like getting a pilot's license, or flying an ultalight at 5300 feet to discover a commercial airplane coming straight at you wondering if you have enough metal to show up on their radar.


satisfaction of making the world a better place.


enjoyment of helping someone in need.


even simple things like an excellent dinner with someone special.


 


for many theists... believing we carry these memories with us beyond physical death is highly meaningful.


I've long felt like life is passing me by, without having done anything extraordinary. since Steve Jobs passed away I've been asking myself "why does that does it bother me so much?".




I know AKA I have been asking myself  .because of Jobs, the same thing.


Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook