3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 1:32AM #1
Yavanna
I'm not sure if anyone has any interest or knowledge on the matter, but my curiosity was piqued when watching an anti-religion documentary. Primarily it was attacking Christianity and making all the comparisons to paganism that are obvious. However, it made a few comments about the Torah and got me studying.

Apparently, (forgive me if you were already aware) there is a belief that the story of Moses is nothing more than a rip-off of the tale of Sargon, who was placed in a basket and set into a river (although the reasons for Sargon being placed in a basket are unclear as far as my current research has gone).

Sargon would have lived before 2,000 BCE and Moses of course around 1,300 BCE. However, there is no contemporary record of Sargon in his time. I see a lot of "may represent" and "might suggest" when it comes to the issue of his existence.

I'm not really seeing any basis for calling the story of Moses a blatant rip-off. As far as my research suggests (which is mostly Enc. Britannica and some very biased people on other sites), there's nothing to indicate that it isn't any more than Sargon could have been a rip-off of Moses. Mostly, due to the anti-religious tone I see in writing, it seems to be an attempt to discredit Judaism as a pagan knock-off the same way Christianity has parallels.

It's not a hugely important issue to me, but I find this all very interesting and wanted to see if anyone had anything to add.
The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 1:26AM #2
Pam34

Maybe putting babies in baskets in rivers was a usual pastime? I have heard of the Sargon story - as far as I know, it's one of those stories of 'unusual birth/childhood' which are pretty common around a lot of major leaders/figures. Not just Sargon and Moses. Remus and Romulus were suckled by a she-wolf. Theseus, I think, was abandoned as an infant, wasn't he? Hercules strangled serpents in his crib. King Arthur's birth was pretty fraught with mysterious happenings and secret meetings.

You know, if you are some peasant ambitious person and you manage to make it to the throne, it would be darned convenient to have an origin tale floating around about how that peasant just happens to REALLY be an actual blue blood prince and everything.

As for similarities - take a closer look:

Sargon: prince put in basket, raised by peasants

Moses: peasant put in basket, raised by princess

Sargon: rose to secular kingdom/rule

Moses: rejected rule in kingdom in favor or service to God in the desert

In a way, the similarities in the stories serve to point up the DIFFERENCES.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 4:44PM #3
Yavanna

Oh I agree very much. The differences are noteworthy in many ways. Thank you for your insights, Pam. =)

One thing that has always puzzled me, is that Judaism still exists. In some ways, we haven't changed very much in the last few thousand years. It's one thing to offer conjecture about dead nations and beliefs, but when one is still living, to ignore what it says seems rather silly. Imagine if the Mayans still lived and told every scholar they were wrong, yet the scholars persisted with their theories. That seems to be the case when it comes to theories about Judaism.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 10:24PM #4
Pam34

If I had a nickel for every time a Christian told ME what JUDAISM teaches, because that Christian knows 'better' than I do....!

I'd be out of debt, at least.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook