3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 12:51AM #1
Ccamp89
Is there such a thing?  I love Pure Land Buddhism and I love Tibetan Buddhism and was wondering if there was such a thing as a Tibetan Pure Land tradition.  I've found some stuff, but not much.  Finding a teacher is going to be basically impossible as I live in a very tiny town in the middle of nowhere.  Also is the Amida/Amitabha mantra, Om ami dewa hri, equivalent to the nebutsu in Japanese Pure Land.  Any help is appreciated.  
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 6:16AM #2
Bhakta_glenn

The Kagyu Golden Rosary

leksheyling.net/pages/english/Lineages/K...

The Kagyu School of Tibetan Buddhism was founded by Marpa the Translator. Its Qualified Gurus [Enlightened Masters] form an unbroken chain of preceptors and students from Marpa to the present Karmapa. These are the lineage holders.

Their short biogrpahies are to be found on the webiste for the Kagyu Golden Rosary

www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Biography-Marpa...

A Spiritual Biography of Marpa the Translator [Paperback]

Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche

www.amazon.com/Tibets-Great-Yogi-Milarep...
Tibet's Great Yogi Milarepa by W.Y. Evans-Wentz

Tibet's Great Yogi Milarepa [Paperback]
W.Y. Evans-Wentz (Author)

With regard to finding a Teacher, the sacred tradition is for the student to leave the home life and go in search of the Dharma.

These two biographies of Marpa and Milarepa show how both men went in search of their Gurus.

When a person takes up the spiritual quest, it is difficult to imagine that Faith is not playing any part in such a venture.

The Kagyu Lineage is from the Primordial Buddha Vajradhara

leksheyling.net/pages/english/Lineages/K...

Vajradhara is the Sanskrit term for the Primordial Buddha, who is the quintessence of Buddhahood. His name was translated into Tibetan as Dorje Chang, “Vajra-holder” in English. Vajra means “indestructibility,” i.e., “skilful means or compassion,” rdo-rje in Tibetan. Dhara in Sanskrit means “to uphold,” ‘chang in the Tibetan language. Chen-po in his full name in Tibetan means “the great one.”

Please note that Skilful Means is the same as "Compassion". This "Compassion" is not the same as the compassion that an ordinary, worldly human being knows. One has to develop Trtanscendental Wisdom to realise it, negate the Ego.

This mental development is called Bodhicitta [ {Compassionate} Mind of Enlfightenment}

www.bodhicitta.net/

Vajradhara’s mantra

Om Ah Guru Vajradhara Hum (7x)

With regard to 'Pure Lands', it may be pertinent to silently redirect your question to Buddha Vajradhara. If your motivation is sincere, then He will arrange for you to be taught everything you need to know on your personal Path to Enlightenment.:

www.viewonbuddhism.org/spiritual_teacher...

WHERE AND WHEN TO FIND A GURU?

This is not easy to answer in general, as every individual is different. However, it is often said that when a disciple is ready, the teacher will appear. If you cannot find a teacher, see if you fulfil the above requirements for a proper disciple, and work to improve your own attitude rather then running around the world to find 'your' guru.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 3:22AM #3
Bhakta_glenn

kalachakranet.org/kalachakra_tantra_sham...

if one takes initiation into the Kalachakra tantra, then one may be reborn in the Pure Land of Shambhala. The Dalai Lama has undertaken several mass initiationsointo the Kalachakra Tantra in the West:

www.dalailama.com/teachings/kalachakra-i...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook