Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Religion and Child Abuse
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 12:39PM #1
BillThinks4Himself
I know a couple whose kids are grown, so they're trying to raise someone else's.  They recently set up a baptismal ceremony for an eight-year-old.  When the eight-year-old got cold feet, they cajoled until she got a tummy ache.  After an hour of this, the baptismal ceremony was canceled and the child was blamed for wasting everyeone's time.  Not willing to take "no" for an answer, these people simply reset the baptismal date, disinvited the mother (whom they considered a disruptive influence) and tried it again.  This time, they added in a signing bonus: If she took the plunge, they would take her to Steak and Shake.  The same thing happened.  The little girl got cold feet.  After another hour of being cajoled, the little girl got another tummy ache and the blessed event was again scrubbed.  The little girl was again blamed for wasting everyone's time.

Why do people behave like this?  Do they really think they're making points for God?  What kind of God would want a child to be treated like this?  It makes me sick.  I'm thinking of calling the abuse hotline. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2011 - 2:42AM #2
Annie_alive

This is so weird, and yes, I agree it is child abuse.

I do know of one religion that says that baptism should take place at 8 years of age, and it is by immersion.  That can be scary for a child.

N0-one should be forced to be baptised, at any time.  How could it even be considered valid if it is not voluntary and its purpose fully understood?

It is also not right that the mother is excluded, that doesn't make sense. 

Poor child, she really needs some positive support and her own decisions respected.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2011 - 7:33AM #3
Pretanama

It does sound like child abuse.    However even if you report it the authorities may take no action, particularly in some areas of the country.   The actions of the adults may be considered to be under the umbrella of "Religious Freedom" and the coercion they're using might be considered to be within their parental rights.    It's astonishing, though, that anybody thinks a child who must be bribed and forced into religion is going to fool "god" in any way.    Do these caregivers really think that little of their god and his powers of discernment?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2011 - 2:22PM #4
mountain_man

Sep 10, 2011 -- 12:39PM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Why do people behave like this?

They are definitely inflicting emotional abuse on this child.

Do they really think they're making points for God?

They care nothing about making "points" but in forcing this child into a religion she obviously does not want.

What kind of God would want a child to be treated like this?  It makes me sick.  I'm thinking of calling the abuse hotline. 

No god I could worship would want that done to a child, or adult. It wouldn't care for silly ceremonies. Call the hotline, maybe they won't see this event as abuse but it will start the process and they might find other abuses.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 12:30PM #5
Bairre

This is the ideological framework that imposes "spare the rod".  I was raised in this way, and I'm still recovering from this and other more severe situations I was forced to endure by my good Christian parents. 

My father is a minister in the United Methodist Church.  The church in general turns a blind eye towards child abuse.  Its not just Catholics.  I was hospitalized on more than one occasion from the abuse my parents gave through the "spare the rod" belief. 

As I grew older, I rebelled, and this intensified situations.  At one point my father essentially performed an exorcism on me, as he believed I was possessed for not wanting to follow his religious ideas.  I was hospitalized after that situation. 

It wasn't just the Church, it was the authorities as well.  They knew my father was a minister, and basically approved of his actions.  This is a disgusting way to treat children, and religions that do such things are destroying people's lives. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2011 - 7:29PM #6
mountain_man

They seem to prefer "spare the rod" over "Jesus loves the little children." I'll never understand how a religion that claims to be about love encourages, and at times requires, the beating of children.

My daughters are the most precious part of my life. They ARE my life. They're grown now, but I never did, and never could, hit them....

Let me correct that. I spanked the eldest once. I felt bad and apologized and then she got to punish me. I had to write 100 times "I will not hit" and take her out for pizza. She's a great kid and a great mother.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 10:33PM #7
DotNotInOz

Interestingly, I once learned in a religion seminar that "spare the rod" interpreted as advocating corporal punishment is a mistranslation. The instructor gave a detailed explanation of the confusion between a couple of Hebrew words that results in rod being thought to be a switch or stick used to smack a child when what the word actually refers to is a shepherd's staff, used to snatch sheep from harm and to direct them to safety.

So, how that phrase ought to be understood is more like, "Spare the careful guidance and spoil the child."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 1:36AM #8
Bairre

Sep 26, 2011 -- 10:33PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Interestingly, I once learned in a religion seminar that "spare the rod" interpreted as advocating corporal punishment is a mistranslation. The instructor gave a detailed explanation of the confusion between a couple of Hebrew words that results in rod being thought to be a switch or stick used to smack a child when what the word actually refers to is a shepherd's staff, used to snatch sheep from harm and to direct them to safety.

So, how that phrase ought to be understood is more like, "Spare the careful guidance and spoil the child."

Yeah, but try explaining that to people who think the KJV is the literal word of God, and don't realize Moses didn't speak English.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2011 - 1:18PM #9
DotNotInOz

Sep 29, 2011 -- 1:36AM, Bairre wrote:

Yeah, but try explaining that to people who think the KJV is the literal word of God, and don't realize Moses didn't speak English.

True. Like most rationality, it would go WHOOOSH! right past them.

I know precisely what you mean...I've met far too many of those who actually think that the English of King James's time is the original form of the Bible. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 12:30AM #10
mountain_man

...So, how that phrase ought to be understood is more like, "Spare the careful guidance and spoil the child."

The problem with that guys revisionism is that they used that shepherd crook to BEAT the child with. If that society thought it was OK to stone a child to death I sincerely doubt they had any problem beating a child with a large staff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook