Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Is UUism beyond rescue?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2014 - 9:14PM #51
DotNotInOz

That is a pretty weird experience, Jupiter. I'm just perverse enough I'd likely have followed the "good people" remark with something like, "Well, actually, I'm working undercover for The 700 Club to help Robertson ferret out evildoing fake faiths. Excuse me now. I need go send my coded report on you UU's."

But, yeah, after a strange episode like that, I doubt I'd ever go back there! Sure would make me wonder what THAT had been about. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 4:00PM #52
rideronthastorm

I see UU in Dallas Tx as growing but our specific church has had some growth in the past couple of years I know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2014 - 8:16AM #53
Jupiter6208

Giving UU another go  one incident shouldn't be a determining factor. Plus the people there are just so darn nice and welcoming. 

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2014 - 7:59AM #54
Angela_B

Aug 20, 2011 -- 9:04AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Even though I've now been an un-churched UU for almost half a decade, I still find myself speaking about "us" and "our" where UUism is concerned.  However, for a number of reasons, the UUA's brand of UUism is displeasing and seems to me to be bringing the faith ever closer to extinction.  A few UU churches with particularly dynamic ministers are increasing their membership notably, but they're nowhere near reflective of UUism as a whole.  And why there's a continuing decline has puzzled me for a number of years as openminded and freethinking as people have become. Logically, UUism would seem to be more appealing than ever.  So, I've waffled on the issues of sticking with UUism and trying to do what I can toward reform, or simply chucking it all and finding another faith group altogether.  Except that despite some pretty thorough searching, I can't find one that reflects my basic spiritual bent as does UUism.   I think it's probably too late to salvage the denomination, since so many young adults are leaving and not enough are joining to offset the exodus. The bulk of UU members are middle-aged or elderly anymore, and that is not a demographic that bodes well for UUism's survival.  Is there any hope to speak of, do you think? Or is UUism already too far gone to be revived?

DotNotInOz,

Your words have reached me in a way that makes me feel for your situation.  It seems to me that you are extrapolating your own feelings onto the movement as a whole, and condemning UU to the dustheap of history, but I see a different picture.

Religions, as a whole, in this country, are in a state of decline.  It isn't just UU.  The largest-growing group of religious affiliations these days are the "Nones"  Religion has a real "broccoli problem" as one speaker at this year's GA put it.  But he did not offer much in the way of how we might address this "broccoli problem" outside of marketing ourselves better.

But I say that if we market ourselves better...and keep doing the same things we are, we will lose those we would seek to attract.  What I'd like to know, Dot, is what YOU are seeking.  What changes are YOU seeking?  And then, I'm going to hand you some advice you have probably seen before (Gandhi said it first) - Be the change you want to create!

Come back to a UU church, and start BEING that change you want to see.  And perhaps the change will start.

I, personally, have as of late become very inspired by the secular teachings and life example of Jesus.  Jesus as he REALLY WAS...not Jesus as the fundamentalists WISH he was!  And I am beginning the process of starting something of a renaissance within UU whereby we can reclaim Jesus.  Jesus as he really was!  Who could not possibly be attracted by that kind of radical love?

But that kind of radical love is VERY DIFFICULT.  This is why I believe Christian churches have utterly failed, and now they appeal to the lowest common denominator, and have gottten so far away from what Jesus actually was, and what his message really was...that Jesus himself wouldn't be welcome in most modern-day Christian churches!

I think our seven principles give us a good place to start, because I believe I can show that Jesus taught, lived and embodied every one of these principles.  And as was pointed out in this lastest issue of UU World...we have to move beyond believing in the Seven Principles...to EMBODYING them...to envision them into actual reality!  To that end, I believe reclaiming Jesus as a valid source of inspiration can accomplish this.

This is not to say I believe in God, because I don't.  I'm a transgender, Agnostic follower of Jesus who practices in a UU church.  I do not believe in the miracles, nor in the Divinity of Jesus.  How could I believe Jesus was the Son of God....if I don't believe in God?  But I do believe that the teachings and life example of Jesus can serve to inform our lives and our behavior.

I want us as the UU - to love the world the way Jesus loved the world.  I think the growth problem will take care of itself.  We have to give people something worth coming for.  But I do not believe the negative growth issue is at all unique to UU.  All religions in America are likewise affected.

I see this as a real opportunity for UU - because, as I see it, everyone ought to be a UU...who could possibly look at our Seven Principles and actually be against any of them?  But if we are going to take the next step, we at UU have to move past belief in the Seven Principles to EMBODYING them, and envisioning them into reality!  If we can do that, the masses will be beating down our doors!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2015 - 9:34AM #55
findingmyselfgod

I wonder how "the denomination" is doing now. Have things gotten better? 

I panicked a little when I read this thread just now, with its prophecies of extinction for UU, and I looked it up, and it looks like UU grew just a little bit between 2001 and 2011: www.uuworld.org/ideas/articles/183484.sh...

I am a lot more optimistic about UU than this thread has been. It's probably just because I had different experiences, and maybe a little bit because some things that bothered people who posted here don't bother me as much. But I also don't have a great deal of attachment to UU: I appreciate it, but if it dissolves I'll move on without too much grief. 

UU is a revolutionary thing in human religious history, IMO, and it's messy because what we're doing hasn't been done before. 

The things I think we need to work on are having better poetry in our liturgy - some of our stuff is rather trite and sentimental, IMO - and more of something we might call repentance: more discussion of the possibility that maybe, at least sometimes, we don't need to search for answers or figure out what we belieave as much as simply to try to be better people, to treat each other better. 

But that might be a lot less significant than the things other people mentioned here, so I only mean to give my own perspective, definitely not to question or undermine what has been said here before. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2015 - 7:37PM #56
rideronthastorm

Well I believe my church has gotten bigger but Ive only visited twice this year but Im coming back fulltime.

We now have a youth group that does service on Sunday nights which is awesome. So its a youth service and actually ive seen several youths come into our church including Thursday night we had 2 youths come in. It was exhillarating awesome.Its become more active and more busy.

But my church is Pagan. So I dont know weather the UU churches that belong to a particular religion are more popular then regular UUs or not. But it seems that Paganism has become abit more popular i Dallas TX which is jsut so awesome.I wonder if there are statistics for the difference between UUs that have a predominant religion and those that dont.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2015 - 9:41PM #57
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I keep scoring UU on Belief-O-Matic.

But here (locally) the UU group disbanded! As key members were moving away.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2015 - 5:50PM #58
rideronthastorm

I think it depends on where you live. In many states it maybe falling apart, but in Tx its not.

Not in Dallas anyways, it seems like to me here in Dallas, and I maybe wrong;

But it seems like some Christians are moving away from Christianity and trying on new forms of spirituality UU being one. Its still predominantly conservative Christian here, but some are moving away from Christianity.

One reason I say this is that I check meetup.com on the net regular, the place on the net where you can meet people face to face at groups for all kinds of groups and activities incuding hobbies and singles groups, ty have alot of religious meetups.

I check those quite often and it seems like theres alot of different religion groups from universal types of groups coming up more and more all the time.

But techinically over the past 8 years according to the Texas almanac websight its got statistics for Christianity the past few years,Its still very strong, but has gone down. Considering that fact I imagine a few of them became UUs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2015 - 10:35AM #59
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Here in Oz, UU is basically unknown!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook