Switch to Forum Live View Wanting to learn more.
3 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2011 - 2:36PM #1
Glynlaura
I am a former Christian who no longer embraces Christ as a god'like person but rather a good man. I currently attend a UU church. When I retook the belietnet quiz I came up wit reformed Judiasm. I read through beiefnet's overview of the religion and don't see much I can't agree with. I would love it if anyoen would be willing to teach me about their/this faith as I am still trying to find the place to best worship G-d as I understand G-d.
Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2011 - 4:10PM #2
ffb

Judaism may or may not be for you -- a quiz shouldn't dictate your beliefs, your heart should. If you go and investigate Judaism by reading extensively and studying sincerely, you will begin to know if it is for you. try a site like www.jewfaq.org and read everything. See if that helps -- it is easier to know what you don't know and start asking questions then ask for open ended instruction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2011 - 9:20PM #3
Glynlaura

I did not let the quiz "dictate my beliefs' . oI am very clear about my beliefs adn used that belief to answer the quiz questions. Usually UU comes up and some buddhism but today Judaism came up.  To me this is sying here , he's what you,believe and its sounds lke Reformed Judaism, maybe your should check it out. I did read the faq's but I will do so again and try to come back with more questions.

My first is simple. Who is G-d in Reformed J.  Or is G-d, as I am getting from what I read, viewed differntly , at least in some ways, by different people who claim this same religion.  My G-d, as I undersand in my limited human thinking is a greater being that we can understand. He is creator of the Universe but not in a literal seven days.

Any commetns or questons are welcome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 1:11AM #4
Pam34

The first thing to understand about Judaism - all the movements of Judaism - is that Judaism is not, strictly speaking, a 'religion' in the same sense as Christianity or Islam.

Christianity and Islam are belief-centered faiths: if one assents to the belief-pattern, one becomes a member through conversion (change).

Judaism is the faith tradition of the Jews. You can agree with the beliefs of Judaism all you like, but conversion to Judaism is becoming a Jew and a member of the Jewish people. It is much more like adoption, or like immigration to a foreign country and becoming a citizen of that country, than it is anything like 'religious conversion'.

The next thing to learn is that Jews don't believe that non-Jews have any particular reason or necessity to become Jews/convert to Judaism. The God of the Jews is the same God of everybody else, and the only 'perk' you get as a Jew is the opportunity to have a whole lot more (and more stringent) requirements to meet.

So unless being Jewish is a major compulsion and something that is strongly desired deeply within your very soul, there is no particular reason to pursue conversion.

Plus it takes about a year.

that said -

Go ahead and learn more about it. Ask anything you like. While we don't troll the streets for converts, the sincere convert-candidate is certainly welcome. No pressure.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 1:14AM #5
Pam34

Oh - on your question about God.

Yes, God is viewed differently by different people throughout all the movements of Judaism.

However, we are united in that we all believe that there is and can be only one, unique deity.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 2:05AM #6
Glynlaura

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Of course, I am not ready for something as serious as conversion, however, I am in deep need of a faith communty. It was a sad time for me when I made the decision to leave the CHristian faith community, however, I could no longer prescribe to the dogma which made communication very difficult even with people I loved within that community.  I apprecaite your openess to me and will think about what you have already said as well as do some more study.

Thank you again.

Respetfully,

Glyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2011 - 3:14PM #7
spiritwriter

Hello. I would like to encourage you to study books, and all the many, many resources available online. And also encourage you to seek out some real, live Jews with whom to interact. Being Jewish is about community, and that is what you are desperately seeking, at least that's how it sounds. Your experience is not unfamiliar to me. Just know that you can reach out online and also to people who are Jewish in your local area and ask them questions. You have to be very peristant and Jews do not attempt to be missionaries as do so many Christians. That is not an obligation to a Jew. Just don't give up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2012 - 1:44PM #8
Caretta-caretta

Do you have a Jewish friend who could accompany you to a Synagogue?  You will find it a very different experience from a visit to a Christian church, but I think that this would be a good experience for you.  Also if you could chat with some other Jews and just get a "feel" for things straight from the horse's mouth.  Then just take it from there.  

It is possible to convert to Judaism if you weren't born Jewish, but it can take many years and it is not an easy process, so you have to be very committed.  However we have several Christian friends who come quite regularly to our Synagogue and they are made very welcome.  You just have to find what is right for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2012 - 9:19PM #9
Bunsinspace

BS"D

Welcome new members to the Judaism board!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook