Switch to Forum Live View Trying to find my spot ...
3 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2011 - 12:37AM #1
RavenTESL

Hi everyone,

After a lot of time reflecting, writing, meditation, researching, etc, I have found myself under the neo-Pagan umbrella. This is interesting and exciting, but of course confusing. More information leads to more questions, which leads to answers and more questions ... round and round it goes.

I'm trying to narrow down a focal point, a starting point. No, I'm not closing my mind to anything right now, but I feel like I'm drowning in ideas and theories and points of view, and am confused.

Here is what I 100% believe in:

- I believe in the spirituality of our natural world
- I believe in the balance of male and female higher powers/energies (dualities?)
- I believe people should do what they want to do, as long as they aren't hurting other people
- I believe the good/bad actions we create will come back on us

I want to google some more information, (and of course connect with other people here!) but I'm not even sure what the search words would be.

Any words of wisdom would be beneficial and greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2011 - 11:08PM #2
Sacrificialgoddess

Aug 15, 2011 -- 12:37AM, RavenTESL wrote:

Hi everyone,

After a lot of time reflecting, writing, meditation, researching, etc, I have found myself under the neo-Pagan umbrella. This is interesting and exciting, but of course confusing. More information leads to more questions, which leads to answers and more questions ... round and round it goes.

I'm trying to narrow down a focal point, a starting point. No, I'm not closing my mind to anything right now, but I feel like I'm drowning in ideas and theories and points of view, and am confused.

- I believe in the spirituality of our natural world
- I believe in the balance of male and female higher powers/energies (dualities?)
- I believe people should do what they want to do, as long as they aren't hurting other people
- I believe the good/bad actions we create will come back on us

I want to google some more information, (and of course connect with other people here!) but I'm not even sure what the search words would be.

Any words of wisdom would be beneficial and greatly appreciated.

You are RavenTESL.  Everything else is up for you to discover and decide.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2011 - 12:33AM #3
gorm-sionnach

I can not guarantee wisdom, just some thoughts to ponder/ aid you in clarification:

I believe in the spirituality of our natural world

What do you mean by "spirituality of our natural world"? Do you mean that you believe along the lines of Gaia theory, that the world itself is a living entity? Do you mean that you believe in an inherent sacredness present within nature? Do you mean you believe that all things have spirits, and are an animist?

I believe in the balance of male and female higher powers/energies (dualities?)

The concept sounds like the neo-Wiccan duotheism position when it comes to perspective on deity. Of course it is a broader concept, reflected in gender polarity.

I believe people should do what they want to do, as long as they aren't hurting other people

What entails "hurting other people"? Does self harm come into this conception of ethics?

I believe the good/bad actions we create will come back on us

This sounds like a western understanding of karma, and seems to be reflective of the so called "three-fold law" or "law of return". Do you think this is universal? If so why do bad things hapen to good people? How can the just suffer but the unjust not? What entails a "bad action"? A "good action"?

SG is on to something though, work out your own beliefs then find yourself a label. Though, at the same time an exploration of existing philosophies/ traditions/pespectives may help you find focus and provide a framework to adopt or build from.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 10:16AM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

Oh, I admit I probably could have been clearer.  But, as you said, gorm, each statement brings with it a thousand questions.

I do have a way that RavenTESL can decide who she is — at least for the moment, since we are all constantly changing — but it is a bit of a pain in the rear.

Get a notebook.  It probably will need to be big.  Write down everything you believe.  And I do mean everything.  You believe that asparagus is the most disgusting thing ever, and should be banned from market shelves, then write it down. Carry the notebook around with you everywhere you go.  At least three months, but probably longer. After three months, it will probably feel weird not to have it. Read everything.  You disagree with the author?  Write it down.  Write down why. A book is too bad for you to finish?  I have been there.  Write it down.  Write down what the author could have done to make their book readible.

The point is, you have to become incredibly narcissistic, at least where your notebook is concerned.  You have to write down everything that you need to, to understand you.

If you need help getting started with this notebook, I would recommend listening to the Scrying Bowl, scryingbowl.libsyn.com/

5 minute podcasts where Oraia Sphinx gives a topic and lets you figure out what you think about said topic.  Very valuable, to me, anyway, when it comes to topics I wouldn't have thought of.

Anyway, this is a good way to figure out who you are.  It won't give you a label, but it wil give you an idea of who is lurking in your brain.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook