Switch to Forum Live View Belief in Ellen White's status as prophetess necessary?
3 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2011 - 9:13PM #1
deep thinker
I am wondering if it is possible to be SDA and reject the status of Ellen White as a divinely inspired prophetess?  Also, if one chooses not to embrace vegetarianism, does the church rebuke them or sanction them?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2011 - 10:22PM #2
sincerly

Jul 30, 2011 -- 9:13PM, deep thinker wrote:

I am wondering if it is possible to be SDA and reject the status of Ellen White as a divinely inspired prophetess?  Also, if one chooses not to embrace vegetarianism, does the church rebuke them or sanction them?

Hi Deep Thinker, Welcome to the SDA Forums. I apologize for the lateness of answering your inquires.  Both questions are a part of the Fundamental beliefs of the SDA Church. 

Second Question first---  While the first diet given to man was Vegetarian, (Gen.1:29 "meat"= food.), certain "flesh foods" were added to the Diet after the Flood.(Gen.8:20-9:3) and this was further clarified/specified in Deut.14 and Lev.11.  A vegetarian diet is preferred, but is not a requirement for membership; and There is no sanctioning or rebuking of those who include the Deut.14: Lev.11 Animals in their diet.

First question:  EGW is regarded as a true prophet of the Church and meet all the Scriptural "earmarks" seen in the Prophets of the Scriptures. She didn't consider herself as a prophet, but more of a "messenger of the LORD". She said of her writings, that they were NOT to be taken as more Authoritative than the BIBLE. The BIBLE was to be what one was to guide their life by in all matters.

I believe that when one fully sees and understands the times and nature of her leadings by the Holy Spirit, one will accept her as truly used of GOD in HIS Leadings of these last days.

I, personally, use only the Holy Scriptures when answering peoples inquires or erroneous beliefs because they are Authoritative. When someone brings an erroneous claim concerning her writings, I will seek the source and post the in context correct statement exposing their false claim. Therefore, before "rejecting" her, make sure that the reason is fact. After 60 years, I haven't been able to find such a reason.

DT, I'll be happy to answer other Questions as well.  Any that you want to Debate, please place on the SDA Discuss forum.  Have a profitable Study of HIS Word.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 6:39PM #3
deep thinker

Thanks, Sincerely, for answering my questions.  As I read the Bible, I am confused by what appears to be the Adventist Old Testament-oriented approach to the question of diet.  I will attach here the responses I received from other sources about this question.  I'd love to get your feedback regarding these ideas.  Thank you.

In contrast to the "clean" and "unclean rules," Jesus said no food can defile a person. It is bad attitudes and actions that can make a person unholy (Matthew 15:1-20, Mark 7:1-23).

Conclusion
The teachings of Jesus, the Council of Jerusalem, and other New Testament teachings (John 1:16-17, Acts 13:39, Romans 2:25-29, 8:1-4, 1 Corinthians 9:19-21, Galatians 2:15-16, Ephesians 2:15) make it clear that Christians are not required to follow the Old Testament rules about crimes and punishments, warfare, slavery, diet, circumcision, sacrifice, feast days, Sabbath observance, ritual cleanness, etc.

Christians still look to the Old Testament scripture for moral and spiritual guidance (2 Timothy 3:16-17). But when there seems to be a conflict between Old Testament laws and New Testament principles, we must follow the New Testament because it represents the most recent and most perfect revelation from God (Hebrews 8:13, 2 Corinthians 3:1-18, Galatians 2:15-20).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2011 - 9:31PM #4
Dconklin

>Jesus said no food can defile a person.

Nope.  That was added by someone else.  They were talking about:

Mark 7:5  Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands

Jesus works off that to point out the more important cleanliness of the heart: (Mark 7:6) "...  but their heart is far from me."

The unclean foods aren't ceremonilally unclean--they are physically unclean. They are usually fiulthy animals in their usual domain and clean up the dead and ecaying fleshy matter that they find around.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2011 - 9:09AM #5
Jmdepeta

Where does it say that we are not required to keep laws of the Old Testament? The Sabbath was never changed to Sunday in the Bible, and it is a commandment to keep the Sabbath.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2012 - 8:06AM #6
nashingerzi

Christ was speaking on washing hands before eating.

the pharisees believe it is unholy to eat without cleaning of hands, Christ disputed their claim and said no food can defile mens spirituality which is true and correct. yet His teachings of clean and unclean meat still is unchanged nor disregarded as Jesus and His disciples kept the commandments and teachings of the OT all their lives. changes only came at the translations of the Bible add portions for traditional beliefs that was not part of the original manuscripts.

modern science discovered meat that has this certain worm called Trichinosis from pork, horse, bear and all other unclean animals the Bible categorized unclean and is not found in beef, deer, sheeps and all other considered clean animals. this proves the Bible is sure and true up to this day is but applicable. yet no food can defile men of his spirituality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2012 - 1:03AM #7
Estacia

Sincerly,

Although this is an old post, you awnsered a question I had personally about the veg. diet.

As for the the poster below me.

I agree with the cleaniness of our hands before touching food.

God Bless

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook