Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View confusion as to what i am
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 11:09PM #1
Tigress42

So, I've been reading on the forum and i feel just as confused as ever. Last week I thought i had my path figured out - what/how i would start to practice but now - i'm not really sure.

I know what i'm intrested in, what i want to practice, learn, but i dont know what to call it. There is huge debates between what wicca is - religion vs spirituality. What makes a pratice specifically wiccan? Specially when there are several types of wicca.
I agree with "an it harm none, do what thou will" and i love nature and animals and feel that the divine is in all of nature. But i dont really see myself to lots of rituals to honor to goddess, maybe except to observe the sabbats. Can this alone make me a wiccan? or is its something else all together - do i have to join a coven and study for years under a high priest/ess... can i call myself wiccan at the start of my solitary study/practice or do i have to earn that title?

Or should i just - continue with my own thinng, mix of severeal intrests, and say i'm a pagan and end it there...

any comments, help would be awesome.

blessed be.

edit: and i also believe in reincarnation, though whether or not there is an otherworld or summerland beforehand, i'm not sure  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 12:59PM #2
Sophia_b

I could be mistaken, so feel free to correct, but its my understanding that Wicca is a specific religion, within which are several denominations. Even then, there are a lot of very different theologies. Usually ritual is heavily emphasized, Aidan Kelly even said, "it's a religion of ritual rather than theology".  Duotheism is often but not always practiced. The Wheel of the Year is usually practiced, but some individuals who do not self-identify as Wiccan also celebrate something similar. It does get confusing.

I've seen some debate about the difference between Paganism in general and Wicca specifically. Try skimming through some articles on witchvox, maybe you'll find something that clears things up for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 1:04PM #3
Tigress42

thanks...

i probably more or less self identify as an ecclectic sort of pagan/wiccan and i know there is a difference. i'm just - not sure where the line is... like - if i start practicing herbology and divination and do a little something on the sabbats and spend alot of time with nature, is that wicca or just - pagan?

:P

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 2:02PM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Tigress42:

Why bother calling what you do, something-or-other?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 3:26PM #5
Tigress42

for discussion? when talking to someone about - beliefs and stuff its easier to say "pagan" or "christian" and explain things a little further instead of going into a long winded explanation from the begining...

sure in the end the label doesnt quite matter, its how you interpret things or what you do... was just kind of looking for people opinions on what i might be

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 5:45PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess

Jul 11, 2011 -- 3:26PM, Tigress42 wrote:

for discussion? when talking to someone about - beliefs and stuff its easier to say "pagan" or "christian" and explain things a little further instead of going into a long winded explanation from the begining...

sure in the end the label doesnt quite matter, its how you interpret things or what you do... was just kind of looking for people opinions on what i might be

The only opinion that matters here is yours. :)

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 6:16PM #7
Tigress42

true enough...i just get a little lost i guess, trying to figure it out, having the freedom to since i wasnt raised with a religion at all, i dare say my dad is boredline athiest...

its fascinating really how people can differ so much even with something like wicca - on person will say its all about tradition and if you arent part of a coven/initiated by a high priestess, you arent really wiccan. while another says that if you have certain principles and do certain things you are...

i think maybe that - since i dont really want to focus much on esbats and moon rituals and more on the herbology/healing divination/palmestry incense/oils ... that i'm more of a witch, not wiccan.

uggh! :P

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2011 - 12:13AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I concur with Sacrificialgoddess.

Tigress42:

i'm more of a witch
This may help you find similar others locally.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 7:31PM #9
pagan_princess

Jul 11, 2011 -- 1:04PM, Tigress42 wrote:

thanks...

i probably more or less self identify as an ecclectic sort of pagan/wiccan and i know there is a difference. i'm just - not sure where the line is... like - if i start practicing herbology and divination and do a little something on the sabbats and spend alot of time with nature, is that wicca or just - pagan?

:P

An ecclectic pagan.  I really like that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 3:41PM #10
Sacrificialgoddess

Jul 11, 2011 -- 6:16PM, Tigress42 wrote:

true enough...i just get a little lost i guess, trying to figure it out, having the freedom to since i wasnt raised with a religion at all, i dare say my dad is boredline athiest...

its fascinating really how people can differ so much even with something like wicca - on person will say its all about tradition and if you arent part of a coven/initiated by a high priestess, you arent really wiccan. while another says that if you have certain principles and do certain things you are...

i think maybe that - since i dont really want to focus much on esbats and moon rituals and more on the herbology/healing divination/palmestry incense/oils ... that i'm more of a witch, not wiccan.

uggh! :P

Sounds like a lot of your background is close to Mainecaptain's.  Give her a holler.  She's a great listener and really, really, nonjudgemental.  Makes me feel like a real bitch on a number of occasions, when I fly off the handle and she brings me back to my sense.  :) 

Anyway, she may be able to help you sort stuff out. 

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook