3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 8:02PM #1
Tigress42
Heya...

so - i'm kind of new, both to the site and to paganism...and in general i'm drawns towards wicca - i think :P

in my research and talking with friends, i find that there is often a difference between wicca and witch. one is religious, the other a way of life - however, which is which seems to depend on who i talk to...

i was just wonder what all of your opnions are. what makes someone one or the other?
i sort of think the term in interchangable in a way - if youre wiccan you can call yourself a witch... but -then again, maybe not...

and please- limit the arguing, just answer the question if you will :)
thanks          
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2011 - 4:21PM #2
Catfairy

I am new to the Wiccan faith.  I have read books by Sybil Leek back in the 1970's.  She was so wise and wonderfu.

I feel a the word witch denotes a pracitioner of the magical arts in general.  Wicca has many paths and tranditions and their leaders are called High Priest or High Priestesses.

Ms. Leek spoke aobu the origins of the witch word being wise.  I am seeking positive people who which to glorify the ancient ways and share in a world needing a touch of feminine spiritual love.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 11:46AM #3
KeaErisdottir

Wicca is a set of religious practices which are a subset of Witchcraft.  There ar many witchcraft traditions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 5:22PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

Oct 6, 2011 -- 11:46AM, KeaErisdottir wrote:

Wicca is a set of religious practices which are a subset of Witchcraft.  There ar many witchcraft traditions.

Is Sybil Leek actually Wiccan, Kea?  I see nothing that indicates she is, but I might be looking in the wrong places.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 10:49PM #5
KeaErisdottir

Sybil Leek was not Wiccan, but she was one awesome witch.  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2011 - 7:15PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess

Oct 6, 2011 -- 10:49PM, KeaErisdottir wrote:

Sybil Leek was not Wiccan, but she was one awesome witch.  :)

Yes she was!  :)  I was just trying to figure out where she stood in the Wiccan scheme of things.  :)

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 8:47PM #7
Urukai

Witchcraft is a practice, a living discipline. Wicca is a religion where its practitioners sometimes include the practice of witchcraft, sometimes not but usually always include ritual or rites of reverence to their gods/goddesses.

Not all people who practice witchcraft are Wiccan.  They can be of other traditions but that use witchcraft to accomplish various purposes and goals.  

Some Wiccans do call themselves witches. Some do not for whatever reason.

There are Witches who do not identify as Wiccan because they see their particular practices as part of another faith or if they are pagan they view their practices as stemming from a time before Wicca was brought to light in the 1950s and so self identify with that or because they do not practice Witchcraft in the particular religious context that Wicca gives to its practices.

Myself for example: Broad category: --Pagan sort of an umbrella term for someone of an earth based spirituality-   Narrow it down: --Witch-- sort of like the old style village witch inclined to celebrate seasonal changes and look after the Earth. I do not identify as Wiccan. I relate to a time before Gerald Gardner brought Wiccan practices to light in the 1950s. I further identify as an atheist. I practice the craft without a religious context....

Peace

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook