Switch to Forum Live View Looking for info on Lithuanian bee Goddess
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 11:10AM #1
Sophia_b
Her name is Austeja or Austheia, and she is a bee/domestic goddess in Lithuanian paganism. I read about her in The Living Goddesses by Marija Gimbutas. I was able to find a little about her on the web, including that she has a feast day in August. I haven't been able to find much about her feast day or how she is honored, and I'd love to know more about the actual celebration. If anyone here knows anything, please let me know when you can - and list sources if possible!

Here's what I've found on the web so far:
www.thebeegoddess.com/id17.html 

Thanks! 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 1:01PM #2
Sophia_b

Really? I mean, I know this is a bit obscure, but nothing?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 7:17PM #3
Sacrificialgoddess

Sorry, I'm not Lithuanian. Not my area.  Have you checked at your local university?  Some of the teachers there might have a clue.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2011 - 6:49PM #4
gillyflower

Bubilas is a Lithuanian bee god but he is male

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 12:50PM #5
Sophia_b

Oh well, Thanks guys. Off to the library with me!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook