Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The New Age Religion
3 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2011 - 6:15AM #11
Dostojevsky

Jun 1, 2011 -- 4:28AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

May 31, 2011 -- 7:52PM, Mewxacata wrote:

The central beliefs are as follows: (1)The reason for suffering is because we are hellbound, (2)The reason we are hellbound is because of past lives, (3)The reason for past lives is because of karmic debt and (4)The reason for karmic debt is because of our foolishness.

(3) and (4) have some basis, but that's not the entire reason for rebirth.

Sounds to me like this garbage came from some Christian site. 

Unlikely it came from a Christian site as Christians do not believe in karma or karmic debt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2011 - 6:17AM #12
Yavanna

Jun 1, 2011 -- 12:05AM, solfeggio wrote:

It doesn't qualify as a 'hot' topic, but, nevertheless, I Googled it:

www.sullivan-county.com/nf0/nov_2000/new...

www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/eckan...

Looks like a lot of nonsense and gobbledygook.

But, then, isn't that the definition of all religions?

It's the definition of a lot of beliefs and a number of them have nothing to do with religion.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2011 - 6:57AM #13
Dostojevsky

Having read quite a few so-called new age books, i think the bellow definition sums it nicely. To many people spirituality is religion - religion is spirituality, without the confines of dogma and strict teachings hanging on to tradition. Many Christian Churches today have meditation or yoga of which we never heard of years ago and most have read some new age writers.

New Age Movement is a Western spiritual movement that developed in the latter half of the 20th century. Its  central precepts have been described as "drawing on both Eastern and  Western spiritual and metaphysical traditions and then infusing them with influences from self-help and motivational psychology, holistic health, parapsychology, consciousness research and quantum physics".[2] It aims to create "a spirituality without borders or confining dogmas" that is inclusive and pluralistic.[3] Another of its primary traits is holding to "a holistic worldview,"[4] thereby emphasising that the Mind, Body and Spirit are interrelated[1] and that there is a form of Monism and unity throughout the universe.[5] It further attempts to create "a worldview that includes both science and spirituality"[6] and thereby embraces a number of forms of science and pseudoscience

According to author Nevill Drury, the origins of the movement can be found in the 18th and 19th centuries, particularly through the works of the esotericists Emanuel Swedenborg, Franz Mesmer, Helena Blavatsky and George Gurdjieff,  who laid some of the basic philosophical principles that would later  influence the movement. It would gain further momentum in the 1960s,  taking influence from metaphysics, self-help psychology, and the various Indian gurus who visited the West during that decade.[7]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Age_Movement

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2011 - 8:51AM #14
IreneAdler

May 31, 2011 -- 10:49PM, MMarcoe wrote:

The New Age is said to be a religion founded by Lady Serena of Glastonbury, practiced by conversion of the barbarian Germanic tribes, into whom left for Asia in the 12th century to avoide the witch hunts.  During their stay in Asia, they picked up on beliefs from Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism.  When they returned, they were asked to participate in the Crusades.  Those who stayed behind were called the Teuton New Agers while those who fought were called the Breton New Agers.

The central beliefs are as follows: (1)The reason for suffering is because we are hellbound, (2)The reason we are hellbound is because of past lives, (3)The reason for past lives is because of karmic debt and (4)The reason for karmic debt is because of our foolishness.

How is this a hot topic?

Those who are "hellbound" per the beliefs of this religion might view this as a "hot topic".

Just saying.

Kinda sad if someone believes the reason behind one's suffering is the actions performed in a past life. One has very little way of controlling acts performed in a prior life. Therefore there's  nothing one can do to change one's present situation as the suffering is to pay off karmic debt.

Might as well go back to bed if that's indeed the situation.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2011 - 11:15AM #15
costrel

Jun 1, 2011 -- 6:15AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Jun 1, 2011 -- 4:28AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

(3) and (4) have some basis, but that's not the entire reason for rebirth.

Sounds to me like this garbage came from some Christian site. 

Unlikely it came from a Christian site as Christians do not believe in karma or karmic debt.

What Dot probably meant was that the inaccurate material more than likely originated on some Christian website that attempts to teach a predominately Christian audience about non-Christian religions. For instance, when I was in college, the Evangelical Christians liked to assert that all forms of "paganism," as well as New Age religions -- that is, every religion besides Judaism, Christianity, and Islam (though sometimes they even classified Catholicism as a form of paganism) -- either originated in Babylon during the time of Nimrod, son of Cush, son of Ham, son of Noah, or is a product of the Babylonian perversion of Judaism. This is obviously not historical, though perhaps is based on some passage somewhere in Genesis, but that doesn't stop Christians from spreading this unfactual information around, particularly when they are proselytizing (or, as they like to call it, witnessing).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2011 - 12:17PM #16
IDBC

Howdy

The New Age is said to be a religion founded by Lady Serena of Glastonbury, practiced by conversion of the barbarian Germanic tribes, into whom left for Asia in the 12th century to avoide the witch hunts.  During their stay in Asia, they picked up on beliefs from Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism.  When they returned, they were asked to participate in the Crusades.  Those who stayed behind were called the Teuton New Agers while those who fought were called the Breton New Agers.

Who is that says that "The New Age is said to be a religion founded by Lady Serena of Glastonbury, practiced by conversion of the barbarian Germanic tribes, into whom left for Asia in the 12th century to avoide the witch hunts.

I don't think that there is "A" single New Age religion.  New Age is more of a "movement" than "A" religion. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Age_religion

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2011 - 1:19PM #17
Stardove

Moderator note:  This thread was moved from the Hot Topic Zone, so if some posts do not follow the guidelines of this forum that is the reason. 

From this point forward guidelines of this forum are to be used.  Respectful guesta only and New Age believers' comments allowed.

Stardove ~ Beliefnet Community Moderator

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 2:59AM #18
Dostojevsky

Our Moderator said:  From this point forward guidelines of this forum are to be used.  Respectful guesta only and New Age believers' comments allowed.

Hope I am not crossing the line but can I be new age as in new way of thinking, new way of understanding the Bible, Christian? I go to a Christian Church, I am Christian. Jesus embraced everybody it is the teachers of the past that made divisions. There have always been teachers like this but it takes time for the Churches to change. Many will not, preffering fundamentalism.

Reading Deepak Chopra, Robert Monroe, Millman, Steiner, Gary Zukav, Stuart Wilde,  Tolle, Kubler Ross, Paul Davis etc. has made me to appreciate and understand even better the words of Jesus. God is One, called by many names.

Stuart Wilde for instance is one of the leaders in new age movement. He speaks of the appearance of Solar Logos and the Restoration. This is more in line with Swedenborg (1688) whom I mentioned in that link who is as Christian as can be. He gave a new interpretation of the Bible, and he is not speaking of physical manifestation of Christ. So these ideas are not new, they have always been around but today we have means of being aware of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 10:56AM #19
Stardove

Dostojevsky, your post is fine!   I believe Jesus who became the Christ ushered in a New Age and another new age is upon us. 

In late 2012 the Age of Aquarius begins as the stars have moved totally out of Pisces into Aquarius. Beginning in 1987 for the last 25 years the Age has been shifting out of Pisces into Aquarius.  Every couple of thousand years + the Age changes. At least this is what I have been taught and took as a belief.

New Age can have many different meanings to different people.  The moderation note means no bashing of those who believe in New Age "thinking".

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 8:39AM #20
Dostojevsky

Quote Stardove:

"  I believe Jesus who became the Christ ushered in a New Age and another new age is upon us.

In  late 2012 the Age of Aquarius begins as the stars have moved totally  out of Pisces into Aquarius. Beginning in 1987 for the last 25 years the  Age has been shifting out of Pisces into Aquarius.  Every couple of  thousand years + the Age changes. At least this is what I have been  taught and took as a belief."

Yes there are many views and I find it all rather exciting. There is so much 'good' going on in the world, people care about refugees while overcoming their color and religion etc and then on the opposite side so much evil as well. Too much killing and destruction, the human race can not survive on this path.

The powers controlling the universe will not allow the destruction of God's creation - the earth and man on it. New Age teachers speak of purifying ourselves with kindness and forgiveness and loving the neighbour and in this way contribute to this change for good.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook