4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 7:17PM #1
Sacrificialgoddess
culture.pagannewswirecollective.com/2011...

Agree, disagree?   Anyone here seen the movie yet?  How do the folks around here feel about Marvel, or anyone really, taking the Norse gods and telling their own stories about them?
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 11:34PM #2
John_T_Mainer

And the names and deeds of our gods ring out in the hall, where the young of our folk gather to be inspired by the courage and sacrifice of our gods.  I am to be upset with this?  The difference between history and myth is that history is a collection of facts, which is often deliberately shaped to conceal truth.  Myth is a story that makes no claim to be factually true that contains within it a true teaching.

This movie was not history,  but we do not claim the Edda and mythology to be history.  This was not a retelling of our ancient myths, but a new myth.  Rooted not in the understanding of a muscle powered age of semi-literate farmers and herdmen hardened to the realities of war and hard death, but in the understanding of a computer wielding information age intellectuals with a far greater understanding of the universe, but no acquaintance with the brutal realities of war.

The lessons of the movie are the lessons of the Edda.  The nature of the gods was shown so well.  Odin the Allfather, whose doom it is to carry the responsibility of holding off Ragnarok down the long ages of mans rule, and fall before he knows if his long watch will bring victory.  Heimdall, the watcher of Bifrost, the stalwart guardian, true seeer, the great foe of the liar Loki.  Loki whose jottun/god lineage makes him as much friend as foe is the bringer of chaos, sometimes for good, sometimes for ill.  Thor; strongest of the gods, defender of mankind, slayer of giants.  Often outwitted, often bested, Thor is the common man's god who picks himself up from defeat and fights on to victory not because he is clever, but because he does not know how to give up.  Thor is the laughter of the storm, the joy in the moment, the one you turn to for inspiration when the world is getting you down.  The movie did a thundering good job.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 29, 2011 - 12:02AM #3
rangerken

Very interesting stuff. I'll try to see the movie and if and when I do I'll comment on it here.

your friendly, visiting host,

Rangerken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 3:00PM #4
Longbow29

Well, there is a great scene in the follow up- "The Avengers" where Thor himself tells one of the other characters, "I am the Defender of the Earth". Even though the movies are based on the Marvel comics version of Thor and not Thor from Mythology, they got that much about both versions right!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook