Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Assumptions of atheism
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 9:10PM #1
Sacrificialgoddess
I am fairly public about being a nonchristian. I kind of feel I have to be, what with living in the Bible belt and all. But a funny thing has happened. All the people I meet who are loudly, vocally atheist assume I am one of them. I don't like to make fun of other people's religion, as I am okay with their UPG being different than mine. But they will mock others and then be surprised when I don't like it.
So here is the question: Does anyone here have the problem that people assume since you aren't Christian, you must be Atheist, and what do you do about it?
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 10:13PM #2
David

I think it's a major misconception. They're not using their brain properly and thinking about the many other religions out there beside just being an atheist. Not saying atheism is a religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 25, 2011 - 8:53PM #3
Echo_of_me
I've run into the same thing. While I experience the entire cosmos as divine, I don't believe in diety. This point of view seems to mean to many people that I am atheist. When the question is brought, I explain I indeed share a great deal of atheist philosophies, (ie. personal responsibility, the validity of science etc.), however I am not. I believe everything is divine, atheists do not believe anything is divine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2011 - 8:50PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

May 25, 2011 -- 8:53PM, Echo_of_me wrote:

I believe everything is divine, atheists do not believe anything is divine.

I am not 100% sure that is true.  I think it would largely depend on how you define "divinity." 

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2011 - 9:21PM #5
Echo_of_me
Of course it does; that's the point.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2011 - 9:42AM #6
Brownowl33

To the Christians, there is only one god, and it's theirs (especially, whatever their particular denomination sells.)  That's why I'm always so annoyed when people ask, "Do you believe in "God?" to which I reply, "Which one?  There are thousands of them."  Even in editorials and commentaries, there's always the assumption that there is either a "god" or there is not, but it's always presented in a Judeo-Christian context (ie, if there IS, it's a single, male god.)

Most Christians I've met are so ignorant of world religion, and of the history of their own religion, that they don't understand that they have but one of thousands of gods alleged to exist.  In their narrow minds, they cannot comprehend that other cultures or faith traditions might have god/s that they believe in as fervently as they themselves profess to believe in Jesus.  So, in their imaginations, there is only the either/or situation: you either believe in "god" (by which they mean Jehovah) or you believe in nothing.  Of course, if you attempt to explain the facts to them, they always counter with "Well, MY god is real and YOURS is fake/evil/the Devil" which is why I don't bother anymore.  It's like talking to a brick wall, and it's time that could better be spent on other pursuits.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 9:09PM #7
David

Jun 19, 2011 -- 9:42AM, Brownowl33 wrote:

To the Christians, there is only one god, and it's theirs (especially, whatever their particular denomination sells.)  That's why I'm always so annoyed when people ask, "Do you believe in "God?" to which I reply, "Which one?  There are thousands of them."  Even in editorials and commentaries, there's always the assumption that there is either a "god" or there is not, but it's always presented in a Judeo-Christian context (ie, if there IS, it's a single, male god.)

Most Christians I've met are so ignorant of world religion, and of the history of their own religion, that they don't understand that they have but one of thousands of gods alleged to exist.  In their narrow minds, they cannot comprehend that other cultures or faith traditions might have god/s that they believe in as fervently as they themselves profess to believe in Jesus.  So, in their imaginations, there is only the either/or situation: you either believe in "god" (by which they mean Jehovah) or you believe in nothing.  Of course, if you attempt to explain the facts to them, they always counter with "Well, MY god is real and YOURS is fake/evil/the Devil" which is why I don't bother anymore.  It's like talking to a brick wall, and it's time that could better be spent on other pursuits.

Yes, I agree with you, Brown.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 10:17AM #8
Cabshear

I agree as well, I think that we have to really look at the extreme limitation of the Christian theological system as well their worldview. Simply put, Black and White. To me it is a waste of time fighting against this limitaion since most adult Christians have had this stuff pumped into his/her minds since their were a small child. 

They ask if I believe in God and I tell them that I have my religion and I am a proud Wiccan and if they assume that I am an atheist or some crazed Devil Worship that's up to them. They ultimately suffer from the limitations their religions put on them, and that they put on themselves. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 6:15PM #9
Sacrificialgoddess

The atheists are as bad as the Christians about assuming I am an atheist.  More, even on occasion.

When I am wearing my pent, the Christians assume I'm Jewish.  Lol!

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2011 - 9:42AM #10
CKM1980

May 25, 2011 -- 8:53PM, Echo_of_me wrote:

I've run into the same thing. While I experience the entire cosmos as divine, I don't believe in diety. This point of view seems to mean to many people that I am atheist. When the question is brought, I explain I indeed share a great deal of atheist philosophies, (ie. personal responsibility, the validity of science etc.), however I am not. I believe everything is divine, atheists do not believe anything is divine.

Echo, I agree with what you're saying, although I think my idea of Atheism might be a little bit different.  I've always been of the impression that it simply means a lack of belief in god, not so much the idea of the "divine".

I consider myself an Atheist, and somewhat of a Naturalistic/Scientific Pantheist, because, like you said, I see nature and the universe/cosmos as being "divine", though I don't normally use that word, but the idea is the same.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook