4 years ago  ::  May 18, 2011 - 10:00AM #1
Emersonbernard
Are they're any Devi worshippers out there? What form of the Divine Mother do you prefer? What kinds of sadhanas do you perform?

Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 19, 2011 - 7:20AM #2
Jm8

Gaudiya Vaisnavas worship Devi as Radha, Sita and Laksmi. These are non-material forms of Devi and Radha is considered the original Devi. The advanced Gaudiya worship actually focuses more on Radha than on Krsna. Therefore Gaudiya Vaisnavas can be called suddha (pure) saktas.

Vaisnavas sometimes worship material forms of Devi as a servant of the Lord. This is the conclusion of the Bhagavata Purana and other sastras (e.g. quote below). This type of worship can be seen e.g. in Jagannatha's temple in Puri. There're small temples of Devi in her forms as Lalita, Vimala, etc. around the main temple and they're offered Jagannatha's prasad.

"The Supreme Lord’s external potency, who is the shadow of His knowledge potency, is worshiped by all people as Durga, the creating, preserving, and destroying agent of this mundane world. I adore the primeval Lord Govinda, in accordance with whose will Durga conducts herself." (Brahma-samhita 5.44)

www.veda.harekrsna.cz
www.krishna.com

dvaitaM bandhAya mokSAt prAk prApte bodhe manISayA
bhaktyarthaM kalpitam dvaitaM advaitAd api sundaram

"Duality is bondage before moksa and wisdom after realization. The duality accepted for the purpose of bhakti is sweeter than even non-duality." (from mangalacarana to Advaitasiddhi sara sangraha by Madhusudana Sarasvati, former advaitin)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 19, 2011 - 12:15PM #3
gangajal

Yes, there are shakta devi worshippers who worship Kali. They usually meditate and do japa with Kali mantra. They may also attend Kali Puja.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 19, 2011 - 3:29PM #4
Emersonbernard

May 19, 2011 -- 12:15PM, gangajal wrote:

Yes, there are shakta devi worshippers who worship Kali. They usually meditate and do japa with Kali mantra. They may also attend Kali Puja.

That's primarily what I was referring to- Shaktism. I'm a devotee of Sri Ramakrishna, and through Him, I've developed an attraction to Mahadevi. I primarily pray to Her in the form of Lakshmi and as Devi Mata.

As you may be aware, though, Sri Ramakrishna was a devotee of Kali. I'd like to cultivate devotion to her within my own practice, but - to be honest - she kind of scares me. I've read she can be rather demanding on her devotees. I've also read that you shouldn't approach her with requests for material assistance - unlike Lakshmi. It seems that Kali deals strictly with the spiritual.

Don't get me wrong - the spiritual is my sole motivation. I seek a deep, abiding relationship with Devi and Self-Realization. Sometimes, though, you just need a hand on the material realm.

I don't know how clear this - essentially, I'm asking those familiar with Her to tell me about Kali Ma. Any personal experiences would be welcome, too.

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 1:19AM #5
gangajal

May 19, 2011 -- 3:29PM, Emersonbernard wrote:

That's primarily what I was referring to- Shaktism. I'm a devotee of Sri Ramakrishna, and through Him, I've developed an attraction to Mahadevi. I primarily pray to Her in the form of Lakshmi and as Devi Mata.

As you may be aware, though, Sri Ramakrishna was a devotee of Kali. I'd like to cultivate devotion to her within my own practice, but - to be honest - she kind of scares me. I've read she can be rather demanding on her devotees. I've also read that you shouldn't approach her with requests for material assistance - unlike Lakshmi. It seems that Kali deals strictly with the spiritual.

Don't get me wrong - the spiritual is my sole motivation. I seek a deep, abiding relationship with Devi and Self-Realization. Sometimes, though, you just need a hand on the material realm.

I don't know how clear this - essentially, I'm asking those familiar with Her to tell me about Kali Ma. Any personal experiences would be welcome, too.

Thanks.

It's all right. You can ask Ma kali for material help. Just don't ask Ma for unnecessary material help. If you are in trouble like you do not have a job or you are having money problem or someone is misbehaving with you then you can ask Ma to help you. She will understand your motivation. Just do not make it a habit -- keep it to a minimum. Only those who are monks can completely stop asking Ma for material help.

Don't be scared by the iconography of Ma. It is true that she does expect the best effort from Her devotee. So just do your best.

I do not know your geographical location. I assume that you have visited a Vedanta Center. If you are in Southern California, you could visit the Kali temple in Laguna Beach. You would get information about it at the following web site: www.kalimandir.org. You can also read through some materials on Ma in that web site.

Yes, I do know people with personal experiences. However, these experiences are private and no body would tell you about those experiences. Your best bet would be to read "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" and "The Gospel of the Holy Mother" . You could also contact some Swami or Pravrajika at one of the Vedanta Centers for help.

Regards

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 9:52AM #6
Emersonbernard

May 20, 2011 -- 1:19AM, gangajal wrote:

Thanks.

It's all right. You can ask Ma kali for material help. Just don't ask Ma for unnecessary material help. If you are in trouble like you do not have a job or you are having money problem or someone is misbehaving with you then you can ask Ma to help you. She will understand your motivation. Just do not make it a habit -- keep it to a minimum. Only those who are monks can completely stop asking Ma for material help.

Don't be scared by the iconography of Ma. It is true that she does expect the best effort from Her devotee. So just do your best.

I do not know your geographical location. I assume that you have visited a Vedanta Center. If you are in Southern California, you could visit the Kali temple in Laguna Beach. You would get information about it at the following web site: www.kalimandir.org. You can also read through some materials on Ma in that web site.

Yes, I do know people with personal experiences. However, these experiences are private and no body would tell you about those experiences. Your best bet would be to read "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" and "The Gospel of the Holy Mother" . You could also contact some Swami or Pravrajika at one of the Vedanta Centers for help.

Regards

Thank you, Gangagal. Your answers were just what I was looking for.

It is true that she does expect the best effort from Her devotee. So just do your best.

I assume Kali wants sincerity from her devotees. Can you tell me what else she expects? You said she wants our "best effort". Is that our best effort with sadhanas?

I do not know your geographical location.

Kansas, unfortunately. The nearest Vedanta Center is the Vedanta Society of Kansas City, affiliated with the St. Louis Vedanta Society. I have, however, been to the Vedanta Society of Southern California ... many years ago.

I am unfamiliar with the Kali Temple you mentioned. I'll check out the website; thanks for the link.

Yes, I do know people with personal experiences. However, these experiences are private and no body would tell you about those experiences.

Understood.

Your best bet would be to read "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" and "The Gospel of the Holy Mother".

I've read "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna", but haven't read "The Gospel of the Holy Mother" yet. I have, though, read many books about Vedanta and Sri Ramakrishna/Sri Sarada Devi/Vivekananda and the other disciples.

You could also contact some Swami or Pravrajika at one of the Vedanta Centers for help.

I recently started an email correspondence with a Swami of the Ramakrishna Order. I'll consult with him.

Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 11:18AM #7
Emersonbernard

May 20, 2011 -- 9:52AM, Emersonbernard wrote:

May 20, 2011 -- 1:19AM, gangajal wrote:

Thanks.

Regards

Thank you, Gangagal. Your answers were just what I was looking for.

It is true that she does expect the best effort from Her devotee. So just do your best.

I assume Kali wants sincerity from her devotees. Can you tell me what else she expects? You said she wants our "best effort". Is that our best effort with sadhanas?

I do not know your geographical location.

Kansas, unfortunately. The nearest Vedanta Center is the Vedanta Society of Kansas City, affiliated with the St. Louis Vedanta Society. I have, however, been to the Vedanta Society of Southern California ... many years ago.

I am unfamiliar with the Kali Temple you mentioned. I'll check out the website; thanks for the link.

Yes, I do know people with personal experiences. However, these experiences are private and no body would tell you about those experiences.

Understood.

Your best bet would be to read "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" and "The Gospel of the Holy Mother".

I've read "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna", but haven't read "The Gospel of the Holy Mother" yet. I have, though, read many books about Vedanta and Sri Ramakrishna/Sri Sarada Devi/Vivekananda and the other disciples.

You could also contact some Swami or Pravrajika at one of the Vedanta Centers for help.

I recently started an email correspondence with a Swami of the Ramakrishna Order. I'll consult with him.

Thanks again for your help.

Omigosh, Gangagal. I was just at the kalimandir.org website. It's perfect! I had no idea it existed. Thank you, thank you. I may need to make a pilgrimage to Laguna Beach.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 11:44AM #8
gangajal

Emersonbernard, You may have read patanjali's Yoga Sutra. Any sadhana requires one to practice yama and niyama. I would suspect that Ma would want to see you practice that to the best of your ability.

Yes, you would benefit if you visited Laguna Beach Kali Mandir.

Regards

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 12:33PM #9
Emersonbernard

May 20, 2011 -- 11:44AM, gangajal wrote:

Emersonbernard, You may have read patanjali's Yoga Sutra. Any sadhana requires one to practice yama and niyama. I would suspect that Ma would want to see you practice that to the best of your ability.

Yes, you would benefit if you visited Laguna Beach Kali Mandir.

Regards

Got it. I understand now. Thanks again for your guidance.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook