Switch to Forum Live View Progressive Christians and Unitarian Univesalist
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 9:25AM #1
Jupiter6208

Just a question would that be a good mix? if not what would be concidered a Progressive Church/ Denomination?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 1:36PM #2
Stardove

Although UU honors all spiritual paths it is not exclusive Christian. 

One Progressive Christian Church is Unity Church.  Other Progressive Christians at the forum go to other church denominations.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 6:44PM #3
Jupiter6208

Unity i know of what would the others be?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 9:16PM #4
Nino0814

Apr 30, 2011 -- 6:44PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Hi Jupiter,

Many Mainline Churches have some very progressive congregations.  The key is finding them.  The Unitarian Universalists are a constant progressive Church, but not always Christian.  The same is true for the Quakers (aks "The Society of Friends).

The United Church of Christ and the Episcopal Church are typically progressive, but not all.  I read a lot of Church websites, and then visted some that looked open.  What are you looking for in a progressive Church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 8:22AM #5
Jupiter6208

Apr 30, 2011 -- 9:16PM, Nino0814 wrote:

Apr 30, 2011 -- 6:44PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Hi Jupiter,

Many Mainline Churches have some very progressive congregations.  The key is finding them.  The Unitarian Universalists are a constant progressive Church, but not always Christian.  The same is true for the Quakers (aks "The Society of Friends).

The United Church of Christ and the Episcopal Church are typically progressive, but not all.  I read a lot of Church websites, and then visted some that looked open.  What are you looking for in a progressive Church?

A Spiritiual vitality and expressiveness, including participatory, arts-infused, and lively worship as well as a variety of spiritual rituals and practices, 

Intellectual integrity including a willingness to question

A affrimation of human diversity, An Affrimation of the Christian faith with a sincere respect for other faiths.

Strong ecological concerns and commitments.

Social justice commitments through collective salvation.

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 2:23PM #6
Nino0814

May 1, 2011 -- 8:22AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Apr 30, 2011 -- 9:16PM, Nino0814 wrote:

A Spiritiual vitality and expressiveness, including participatory, arts-infused, and lively worship as well as a variety of spiritual rituals and practices, 

Intellectual integrity including a willingness to question

A affrimation of human diversity, An Affrimation of the Christian faith with a sincere respect for other faiths.

Strong ecological concerns and commitments.

Social justice commitments through collective salvation.

That's a great list!  Sign me up too!

I think you could find a congregation like this within many denominations, but you will need to visit a lot of churches.  I do recommend the Episcopal Church.  They are definitely a questioning denomination, affirm the Christian Faith while being very respectful to other Faith traditions.  I am reading the Presiding Bishop's (Katherine Jeffort Schori) new book, "The Heartbeat of God, Finding the Sacred in the Middle of Everything".  She specifically address it to all Faith communities, but with special emphasis on our own.  She also addresses ecological issues from a spiritual perspective (our connectedness to all things). 

You will not find all ECUSA congregations embracing her point of view, but the majority elected her as Presiding bishop.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 2:45PM #7
Jupiter6208

Yes i like the Episcopal Church alot i been a couple of times i also been to a Elca Lutheran Church and recently the UU'S  and i have done alot of reading about Unity, Are you currently attending a Episcopal Church?

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 3:27PM #8
Nino0814

May 1, 2011 -- 2:45PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Yes i like the Episcopal Church alot i been a couple of times i also been to a Elca Lutheran Church and recently the UU'S  and i have done alot of reading about Unity, Are you currently attending a Episcopal Church?

I am a member of an Episcopal Church congregation.  I visited a few before joining.  Congregational life varies from parish to parish.  I found that the congregations with young families tend to be very active, however, the seniors also are very active in social mission in those parishes.  I think a healthy congregation has a variety of people (age, ethnicity, sexual orientation) and it is seen as a positive aspect of the congregation's life together.

Godspeed on your search for the ideal spiritual community for you and your family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 3:48PM #9
Jupiter6208

May 1, 2011 -- 3:27PM, Nino0814 wrote:

May 1, 2011 -- 2:45PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I am a member of an Episcopal Church congregation.  I visited a few before joining.  Congregational life varies from parish to parish.  I found that the congregations with young families tend to be very active, however, the seniors also are very active in social mission in those parishes.  I think a healthy congregation has a variety of people (age, ethnicity, sexual orientation) and it is seen as a positive aspect of the congregation's life together.

Godspeed on your search for the ideal spiritual community for you and your family.

I think a healthy congregation has a variety of people (age, ethnicity, sexual orientation) and it is seen as a positive aspect of the congregation's life together.

That is exactly what I'm searching for it's hard going by websites  Thanks.

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook