3 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2011 - 11:05AM #1
Fading_Ghost
If I would like to convert (just as an example), where can I do that?
If I dont live in India and have a temple nearby, what can I do to convert?

And I have also read that you get Singh (if youre a male) and another last name if you are a female, if you are a sikh. Is it an official name or just symbolic?
As if I convert, do I add the sikh last name to the name I have now? And does it have to be given by a sikh priest? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 9:05AM #2
Ishna_Rae

Hi Fading_Ghost,  Sat Sri Akal.

"Convert" isn't really the right word with regard to Sikhism. Rather than convert you simply start reading the scripture and applying Sikh principles to your life, like trying to see the One Universal Creative Force in everything, living honestly and making an honest living, and sharing with others.

The Sikh Rehat Maryada (the code of conduct) defines a Sikh as:

Any human being who faithfully believes in:

- One Immortal Being
- Ten Gurus from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh
- The Guru Granth Sahib (scripture)
- The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus
- The baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh.

You can be a Sikh and not visit a Sikh temple (Gurdwara), but it is a nice thing to do and Sikhism does place great importance on fellowship with other Sikhs. Some Sikhs rely on Cyber Sangat (congregation) if they don't have access to real life sangat.

When a Sikh has grown in spirituality to the point when he or she feels ready for baptism, they can ask to be baptized. This is a ceremony performed by five baptized Sikhs for the new initiate(s), during which the initiate sheds their formal bonds of caste or heritage, becomes a child of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Mata Sahib Kaur and devotes his or her life to God (formally). To show this shedding of previous caste or heritage the new initiate takes a new surname either Singh (Lion) for males and Kaur (Princess) for women. This would usually be a legal name change. Sometimes people who have not been given their first name per Sikh ceremony will change their first name too.

You don't need to change your surname before you are baptised.

I hope this information is helpful.  I apologise for the late reply.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Ishna

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 8:47AM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I was referred here by Belief-O-Matic.

Please would you advise me:
* the nearest Sikh temple to Canberra, Australia;
* some URL of guidance on personal conduct;
* some easy to read URL on models of good behaviour.

I am particularly interested in reasoned or anecdotal explanation on the rationale for Sikhism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 08, 2013 - 8:12AM #4
Ishna_Rae

Mar 13, 2013 -- 8:47AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

I am particularly interested in reasoned or anecdotal explanation on the rationale for Sikhism.

Hello

Sorry for the late reply.  You may have already found the information requested.  If you haven't, here's some leads:

A Sikh temple is called a Gurdwara.  It looks like there's only one in Canberra belonging to the Canberra Sikh Association:  canberrasikhassociation.com/ 

A good source of conduct is the Sikh Rehat Maryada (means Code of Conduct).  You can read the English translation of it at the SGPC official website here:  sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp

Sikhi isn't complicated.  The best place to start is by being a good person - being honest, fair, hard working, sharing, caring, considerate, strong, upright citizen. :)   You'll get that impression from reading the English translation of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Sikh scripture and our only Guru).  You can read it online here:  www.srigranth.org  The first 12 pages form the absolute minimum daily prayers (although there are other daily prayers, these are the absolute minimum and a good place for beginner to start).

Let me know if you have any more questions or need some more information.  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 08, 2013 - 8:30AM #5
Lilwabbit

May 8, 2013 -- 8:12AM, Ishna_Rae wrote:

Mar 13, 2013 -- 8:47AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

Hello

Sorry for the late reply.  You may have already found the information requested.  If you haven't, here's some leads:

A Sikh temple is called a Gurdwara.  It looks like there's only one in Canberra belonging to the Canberra Sikh Association:  canberrasikhassociation.com/ 

A good source of conduct is the Sikh Rehat Maryada (means Code of Conduct).  You can read the English translation of it at the SGPC official website here:  sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp

Sikhi isn't complicated.  The best place to start is by being a good person - being honest, fair, hard working, sharing, caring, considerate, strong, upright citizen. :)   You'll get that impression from reading the English translation of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Sikh scripture and our only Guru).  You can read it online here:  www.srigranth.org  The first 12 pages form the absolute minimum daily prayers (although there are other daily prayers, these are the absolute minimum and a good place for beginner to start).

Let me know if you have any more questions or need some more information.  :)

Guru Granth Sahib is profound and beautiful.

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 08, 2013 - 8:54AM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Thank you Ishna_Rae:

I e-mailed the local association.

I'm curious about the symbol of Sikhism. Can you explain its meaning?

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 09, 2013 - 5:50AM #7
Ishna_Rae

Oh I do hope they get back to you, Karma Yeshe Dorje.  Gurdwaras are great places to visit :)

There are two main symbols in Sikhi.

One is the Ik Onkar symbol.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ik_Onkar It's the first word in the Guru Granth Sahib.  It is the numberal Ik followed by a letter representing the word Onkar.  It means something like One (Ik) Universal Creative Principle.  I saw an awesome writeup on it recently but I can't remember where I saw it.  If I find it I'll link here.

The other is the khanda.  This is a circle with two swords on their side and a double-edged one in the middle.  This symbol can represent Sikhi or it can represent Punjabi culture or usually both.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanda_(Sikh_symbol).

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 09, 2013 - 8:13AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Dear Ishna_Rae:

The other is the khanda.  This is a circle with two swords on their side and a double-edged one in the middle.

That's the one I meant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 04, 2013 - 8:02AM #9
Ishna_Rae

Dear Karma Yeshe Dorje

Did you manage to go to the Gurdwara?  Have you remained interested in Sikhi or perhaps not?

Hope you are well.

Ishna

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook