Switch to Forum Live View Proposed alternative word for gods: "onses"
4 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2011 - 5:02PM #1
343perceiver7

For the monist, monotheist, pantheist, and panentheist perspectives, I seek to propose a word that can describe celestial beings (in any religion or culture) whose roles and status are very much like the devas in Hinduism and archangels. This is also intended to distinguish such celestials from the formless Ultimate Reality/Absolute/GOD and primary forms like the Saguna Brahman in Hinduism. This is not about replacing the use of "God/Goddess" for the formless Godhead or primary form(s) like the Saguna Brahman.

Specifically, I am proposing an alternative to the use of "god(s)" "goddess(es)" for celestials like the devas in Hinduism, the aeons in Gnosticism, and the celestials in Neoplatonism, Hermeticism, etc.

Old English "os" originally referred to the Anglo-Saxon celestials. It fell out of use during Christianization and only survives as a prefix for names today (e.g. Oscar, Oswin, Osborne) and its old plural form ─ôse” is just not appealing. Nor is making "os" plural as "osses." "Aesir" only refers to the Nordic celestials. Also, “aesir" is the plural form. Singular form is "áss."

Then I looked at the Old High German & Gothic cognate, "ans" (Gothic plural form is “anses” while the Old Higher German plural form is “anseis”). They derive from Proto-Germanic "ansuz" (plural form "ansiwiz"). Ans, aesir, and Old English os also share the same root with “asura” and “ahura.” Proto-Indo-European "ansu" has also been defined as meaning either "god","life", "air" or "breath."

Moreover, Gothic "ans" and “anses” sounds good. So my proposed word is “ons.” I go with this spelling due so it fits in more within Modern English spelling and pronunciation. Also, the plural form of the “an” article is ans.

Ons (one syllable) is pronounced as ONS, like "on" with the addition of an "s" ("ons" is said in just one syllable). The plural form “onses” is pronounced as ON-siz. The feminine singular form “onsess” shall be pronounced as ON-sess (plural form “onsesses” pronounced as On-ses-siz).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 12:22PM #2
JCarlin

I like your idea, and think Ons would be a useful addition to the language.  However in this day and age assuming masculinity for a god ain't gonna fly.  I would suggest that Ons be gender inclusive referring to gods, goddesses, and everything in between. 

Apr 25, 2011 -- 5:02PM, 343perceiver7 wrote:

Ons (one syllable) is pronounced as ONS, like "on" with the addition of an "s" ("ons" is said in just one syllable). The plural form “onses” is pronounced as ON-siz. The feminine singular form “onsess” shall be pronounced as ON-sess (plural form “onsesses” pronounced as On-ses-siz).

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 1:24PM #3
343perceiver7

Apr 26, 2011 -- 12:22PM, JCarlin wrote:

I like your idea, and think Ons would be a useful addition to the language.  However in this day and age assuming masculinity for a god ain't gonna fly.  I would suggest that Ons be gender inclusive referring to gods, goddesses, and everything in between. 

Actually, I would prefer that. Yet from what I have seen, "goddess" singular, if not the plural form, is still regularily used. I could just drop the proposed plural form "onsesses."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 1:51PM #4
JCarlin

Apr 26, 2011 -- 1:24PM, 343perceiver7 wrote:

Apr 26, 2011 -- 12:22PM, JCarlin wrote:

Actually, I would prefer that. Yet from what I have seen, "goddess" singular, if not the plural form, is still regularily used. I could just drop the proposed plural form "onsesses."

I suspect goddess is a reaction to the overwhelming assumption of God (male).  People will still use god and goddess but might appreciate the gender inclusive form.  My coinage of hesh and herm, capitalized with reference to Ons is finding its way into the language as a gender inclusive singular pronoun. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 6:37PM #5
343perceiver7

Apr 26, 2011 -- 1:51PM, JCarlin wrote:

I suspect goddess is a reaction to the overwhelming assumption of God (male).  People will still use god and goddess but might appreciate the gender inclusive form.  My coinage of hesh and herm, capitalized with reference to Ons is finding its way into the language as a gender inclusive singular pronoun. 

Thank you. Also, a reminder, "ons" (plural form "onses") is a common noun. I would say make "ons" and its plural form gender neutral yet keep the feminine singular "onsess." An onsess can still be referred to as an ons. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_o...(capital_letters)#Religions.2C_deities.2C_philosophies.2C_doctrines_and_their_adherents

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook