Switch to Forum Live View Looking for a Progressive Christian group/church in Northern VA (northwestern suburbs of DC)
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 1:07PM #1
WhansaMi
Hi!  I'm new to the forum; I hope I'm following proper protocol.

I am looking for recommendations for a progressive Christan church or group in the northern Virginia area -- specifically in the western suburbs.  I live in Sterling, and while it is feasible to attend Sunday services in churches an hour away, I would really like to make the church a more integral part of my life, so I would like it to be in the immediate area, such as Herndon, Reston, Leesburg, etc. 

I was touched by Bishop Spong's writings years ago, but have failed to find a place where his vision is parallelled.  I searched outside of Christianity -- Buddhism, Judaism -- but whether it is because I was raise as a Christian, and therefore consider myself a cultural christian, or because it is simply not meant to be, I have not found a place where I feel entirely comfortable.

If anyone has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 11:19PM #2
Stardove

Apr 24, 2011 -- 1:07PM, WhansaMi wrote:

Hi!  I'm new to the forum; I hope I'm following proper protocol.

I am looking for recommendations for a progressive Christan church or group in the northern Virginia area -- specifically in the western suburbs.  I live in Sterling, and while it is feasible to attend Sunday services in churches an hour away, I would really like to make the church a more integral part of my life, so I would like it to be in the immediate area, such as Herndon, Reston, Leesburg, etc. 

I was touched by Bishop Spong's writings years ago, but have failed to find a place where his vision is parallelled.  I searched outside of Christianity -- Buddhism, Judaism -- but whether it is because I was raise as a Christian, and therefore consider myself a cultural christian, or because it is simply not meant to be, I have not found a place where I feel entirely comfortable.

If anyone has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to to forum.  I like Unity Churches although there are other progressive churches out there.  You might do a search to see if there is a Unity Church in your area.  Maybe some other members will also help with your quest to find a progressive church.

Keep checking this thread.  We tend to be a little slow here. 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook