Switch to Forum Live View Looking for a Progressive Christian group/church in Northern VA (northwestern suburbs of DC)
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 1:07PM #1
WhansaMi
Hi!  I'm new to the forum; I hope I'm following proper protocol.

I am looking for recommendations for a progressive Christan church or group in the northern Virginia area -- specifically in the western suburbs.  I live in Sterling, and while it is feasible to attend Sunday services in churches an hour away, I would really like to make the church a more integral part of my life, so I would like it to be in the immediate area, such as Herndon, Reston, Leesburg, etc. 

I was touched by Bishop Spong's writings years ago, but have failed to find a place where his vision is parallelled.  I searched outside of Christianity -- Buddhism, Judaism -- but whether it is because I was raise as a Christian, and therefore consider myself a cultural christian, or because it is simply not meant to be, I have not found a place where I feel entirely comfortable.

If anyone has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 11:19PM #2
Stardove

Apr 24, 2011 -- 1:07PM, WhansaMi wrote:

Hi!  I'm new to the forum; I hope I'm following proper protocol.

I am looking for recommendations for a progressive Christan church or group in the northern Virginia area -- specifically in the western suburbs.  I live in Sterling, and while it is feasible to attend Sunday services in churches an hour away, I would really like to make the church a more integral part of my life, so I would like it to be in the immediate area, such as Herndon, Reston, Leesburg, etc. 

I was touched by Bishop Spong's writings years ago, but have failed to find a place where his vision is parallelled.  I searched outside of Christianity -- Buddhism, Judaism -- but whether it is because I was raise as a Christian, and therefore consider myself a cultural christian, or because it is simply not meant to be, I have not found a place where I feel entirely comfortable.

If anyone has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to to forum.  I like Unity Churches although there are other progressive churches out there.  You might do a search to see if there is a Unity Church in your area.  Maybe some other members will also help with your quest to find a progressive church.

Keep checking this thread.  We tend to be a little slow here. 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook