4 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2011 - 5:54PM #1
xnake
Lately, I've been amusing myself with Google Earth and similar programs.  One of the things I've espcially enjoyed is "visiting" pilgrimage sites.  While I was looking at Mecca, Jerusalem, Haifa, and Rome, it occured to me that (being pagan) I should look at some pagan pilgrimate sites.  Naturally, I looked up Glastonbury, Ise, Tara, and Stonehenge, but then I was sort of at a loss. 

I'd like to ask other pagans:  What's your favorite pilgrimage site, and why?  It can be a place you've been (local, in the US, would be wonderful to know about) or it can be a place you'd love to go if only you had the time and the money.  Thanks for your input.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 14, 2011 - 7:06AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje

xnake:

Stonehenge
I have seen in the Summer Solstice there.

favorite pilgrimage site
The one closest to the door. Today I hiked in a nature reserve.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 2:38PM #3
Paizlea

There's an eternal flame in my area, which I've hiked to a few times. I'm hoping to make a it a real pilgrimmage (with ritual) sometime this summer.

Eternal Flame

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2011 - 3:59PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

Pretty!  Where is it?

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2011 - 10:35PM #5
Paizlea

Jul 18, 2011 -- 3:59PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Pretty!  Where is it?

Ridge Chestnut Park in Orchard Park, NY.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 3:00AM #6
Maidencreatrix

You've probably already found this one, but since writing a presentation on Irish spirituality last year I've been itching to check out Newgrange:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newgrange

P.S. The Eternal Flame looks amazing! Now I want to go there too!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 3:27PM #7
xnake

The eternal flame under the waterfall is stunning.  If I'm ever in that part of NY, I'd love to go.  Yes, I know about Newgrange, academically, but I've never been.  Well, my favorite local pilgrimage site is Pilot Mountain, here in NC near the VA border.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_Mountain_(North_Carolina)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook