Switch to Forum Live View Simply Beautiful....no matter what faith
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2011 - 8:36PM #1
Brooke
I received this as an email and found it so incredibly beautiful that I had to share. The words are thought provoking and inspirational. The music is calm and soothing. The photos made me cry at the beauty of the world in which we live. I hope you enjoy this.
Brooke

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEXlnAeu_fg
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 9:50PM #2
christine3

Hi, is there anybody here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 11:18PM #3
Ferretling

Mar 11, 2012 -- 9:50PM, christine3 wrote:

Yes?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 12:23AM #4
christine3

Mar 13, 2012 -- 11:18PM, Ferretling wrote:

Mar 11, 2012 -- 9:50PM, christine3 wrote:

Yes?

Hi, I am a refugee from the other Buddhist thread. I can't go there and talk about Buddhism. I was hoping to find somebody to ask a few questions. My problem right now is that I have trouble meditating.  Perhaps I'm not doing it right.  The Nam Myoho Renge Kyo (or however it is spelled) makes me tired.  Any suggestions?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 2:24AM #5
Ferretling

Well, first off, I will say that "doing it right" isn't exactly what you want to be focusing on. That said, if you find it tiring, perhaps a different meditation practice is in order.

Not all Buddhist meditation is the same. Some chant, some are silent, some sit one way, some another, some walk...

My temple is Soto Zen, and we do two types of meditation: zazen and kinhin. The first is silent sitting meditation, and the other is silent walking meditation. The seated is the one we devote more time to. We sit facing the wall on cushions (or in a chair for those of us with major knee issues) and we sit silently and alertly. That might work for you, and you can start off in short increments.

I would look into different types of meditation and see what works for you, to be honest. Some Buddhist temples offer meditation practice for beginners or have beginner classes. Some civic and cultural centers also sometimes offer meditation from various traditions (not all Buddhist). You could look into those. There are also books and CDs on meditation; I have found Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh's works to be helpful, for example. I have a copy of "The Blooming of a Lotus" by Thich Nhat Hanh that has some very useful yet simple meditation exercises that you might want to try.

In the end, my advice is this: find a type of meditation that works for you. Start out incrementally, at least at home. Meditate regularly. (It is a discipline of the mind, after all.) Find a group to meditate with on a reasonably regular basis. Meditation is easier if you have a community.

Above all, while you are disciplining the mind, remember to treat yourself with compassion. Meditation is not as easy as it seems it ought to be. Have patience with yourself, and with the meditation.

Good luck.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 8:17AM #6
christine3

Mar 14, 2012 -- 2:24AM, Ferretling wrote:

Well, first off, I will say that "doing it right" isn't exactly what you want to be focusing on. That said, if you find it tiring, perhaps a different meditation practice is in order.

Not all Buddhist meditation is the same. Some chant, some are silent, some sit one way, some another, some walk...

My temple is Soto Zen, and we do two types of meditation: zazen and kinhin. The first is silent sitting meditation, and the other is silent walking meditation. The seated is the one we devote more time to. We sit facing the wall on cushions (or in a chair for those of us with major knee issues) and we sit silently and alertly. That might work for you, and you can start off in short increments.

I would look into different types of meditation and see what works for you, to be honest. Some Buddhist temples offer meditation practice for beginners or have beginner classes. Some civic and cultural centers also sometimes offer meditation from various traditions (not all Buddhist). You could look into those. There are also books and CDs on meditation; I have found Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh's works to be helpful, for example. I have a copy of "The Blooming of a Lotus" by Thich Nhat Hanh that has some very useful yet simple meditation exercises that you might want to try.

In the end, my advice is this: find a type of meditation that works for you. Start out incrementally, at least at home. Meditate regularly. (It is a discipline of the mind, after all.) Find a group to meditate with on a reasonably regular basis. Meditation is easier if you have a community.

Above all, while you are disciplining the mind, remember to treat yourself with compassion. Meditation is not as easy as it seems it ought to be. Have patience with yourself, and with the meditation.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook