Switch to Forum Live View Book suggestion Thread
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 10:55PM #1
Zavist
I was hoiping to start a thread for other to post books related to Native American studies (inlcuding history, culture and spiritual practices). I myself am unfortunate in that I have no suggestions to give myself. But I created this thread to change that. Please post any books you feel well help not myself but others find great books and authors on the subject. All suggestions are welcome and appriciated.

Beatus Esse!
-Zavist-
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 9:21PM #2
wohali

The Earth Shall Weep by James Wilson

Good jumping off point.

Quick Reply
Cancel
13 months ago  ::  Aug 07, 2013 - 3:25AM #3
world citizen

Diné, A History of the Navajos by Peter Iverson

Beyond the Lodge of the Sun (Inner mysteries of the Native American way) by Chokecherry Gall Eagle

Wisdomkeepers (Meetings with Native American spiritual elders) by Steve Wall & Harvey Arden

"Wisdomkeepers" is my favorite among the many books I own about Native Americans.  The tribal elders interviewed for this book represent the Ute, Lakota, Onondaga, Seneca, Shinnecock, Ojibway, Lumbee, Hoh, Seminole, Mohawk, Hopi, Pawnee, and Six Nations Iroquois Confederacy.

A dvd I'd highly recommend to any serious student of Native Americans would be Our Spirits Don't Speak English: Indian Boarding School (NA-owned Rich-Heape Films).  It's a documentary that gives voice to the countless Indian children who government policy forced to attend these schools.  I have a Navajo friend who knows very little about "the People" (Diné) due to that system.  It's very sad ...

Kei Nahado La (Peace)

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook