Switch to Forum Live View I'm trying to find out where I can go to learn about Theravada Buddhism from a person.
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 9:27AM #1
chris
I'm not one to learn very different things from books (I have to build on similar things to learn anything from books, plus I can't ask questions of a book and get a spoken answer).  I've tried going to the local buddhist temple (179 oak street, Biloxi, MS 39530), but no one there knows enough English to help.  I used to know 4 languages at one time (but Latin, Spanish and German classes were too long ago, plus that won't help with vietnamese).

I don't mind driving to learn, I just don't know where to begin (I don't even know when is a good time to call the temples in New Orleans), at least Sun Herrald had an article on the Biloxi temple and mentioned the service times in it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 10:05AM #2
vacchagotta
One thing you might try is Buddhanet's World Buddhist Directory here:

www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?count...

I zoomed in as far as the US, you can click on the states you are willing to drive to.  Not much for Theravada listed in MS, 1 or maybe 2 in LA...

I too have found that sometimes the Theravada temples are not necessarily used to catering to English speakers.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook