Switch to Forum Live View Marrying a muslim man
3 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2011 - 10:05AM #1
ellenor
Hello, I am new on this forum.
So anyway.. I am going to marry a muslim man. Myself I am a Christian woman.
We decided to get married in a mosque so I was wondering.
Since I am not myself a muslim I wonder is it okay for me to wear a traditional western wedding dress? Or would that be consider rude?

Also, so far I have no intentions of convent to islam. My future husband don't force me to either.
But since we are also planning children I would want to know if anyone here has experience with being married to a muslim while being christian.
Do you your husband teach them the islamic faith and you the christian?
Or you both teach them the islamic only?

Thank you kindly for answers ^^
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2011 - 8:52AM #2
Abdullah.

Salaam Sister ellenor and welcome!

you will be allowed to wear your wedding dress to the mosque sister, but I think you may have to wear something more moderate over that as it will be in a mosque, so you could put a large shawl or even a hijab on you or something

regarding bringing up children, i've not had any experience of interfaith marriages myself, but i think usually the children are brought up as Muslims, for muslims are usually far more serious about religion and on the husbands insistence or reccomendation, the wife usually agrees to bring them up as Muslims, and as i myself being convinced of the absolute truth of islam, i hope that your children will be raised as muslims too

ofcourse it will only be too right to teach them about their mothers religion, christianity too, but in terms of mixing up the practices of both religions, i think that will be confusing to the children, and also it will not be allowed from an Islamic point of view, for Islam, allthough it considers christianity to be originally revealed by God, but is of the view now that, 1, it is distorted [hence no longer representing the original chrisianity] and 2, that it is now invalidated too with the new revealed religion; Islam, that has been sent to all men

there is another thread about this issue sister; here is a link to it:

community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/5...(MuslimChristian)

I hope you will look indepth into Islam too sister, it is the natural continuation of the original christiantiy and judaism and having both parents of the same religion makes things so much easier for the children too

hope this helps

Salaam!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2011 - 6:02AM #3
river8101

If you have to bring up your children in his religion, it won't be long before he'll insist that you convert too.  And why do you have to be married in a mosque.  What's wrong with a church?

Starting off on the wrong foot, sister.   Muslim men expect to be the boss.  Is that what you really want?  

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook