Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 7:10PM #11
Forest Child

Nope, I haven't had NDEs.  Shamanic practice though altered states of awareness allows practitioners to visit many places, we all know this.  If NDE is your thing, that's fine but it is only a fraction of the whole shamanic/spiritual spectrum and comparing notes seems strange since many of us experience similar but remarkably different things. 

For example the Tibetan concept of the other world is of a shining city in the high mountains, yet the Komi travel far north and the entrance to the other world changes depending on the 'sins' of the person, there is another tribe who's name I forget right now who return under the sea after death. 

Whist working with people from different cultural backgrounds, it has become clear that it is their concept of the otherworld which forms the basis for the experience.  There are some commonalities like the travel across water, a bridge, a boat or some other means of travel and the healing places, learning places and 'secure' places over there but the literal visuals vary considerably.

The 'grey place' however, seems common to almost all cultures and usually I see this as a misty forest, grey and still where lost and confused souls are often found.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 8:11PM #12
writingal1

Apr 30, 2011 -- 7:10PM, Forest Child wrote:

Nope, I haven't had NDEs.  Shamanic practice though altered states of awareness allows practitioners to visit many places, we all know this.  If NDE is your thing, that's fine but it is only a fraction of the whole shamanic/spiritual spectrum and comparing notes seems strange since many of us experience similar but remarkably different things. 

For example the Tibetan concept of the other world is of a shining city in the high mountains, yet the Komi travel far north and the entrance to the other world changes depending on the 'sins' of the person, there is another tribe who's name I forget right now who return under the sea after death. 

Whist working with people from different cultural backgrounds, it has become clear that it is their concept of the otherworld which forms the basis for the experience.  There are some commonalities like the travel across water, a bridge, a boat or some other means of travel and the healing places, learning places and 'secure' places over there but the literal visuals vary considerably.

The 'grey place' however, seems common to almost all cultures and usually I see this as a misty forest, grey and still where lost and confused souls are often found.  

Forest Child--hi.

Yep--you know and I know that these kinds of experiences are not the exclusive property of "a few."

And that not everyone feels the need to brag and/or to think that they and they alone have experienced such things.....

It is a common error to mistake slience for lack of knowledge.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 4:24PM #13
Tenlionz

Yupper, and many times its simply Internet Horse Shit, lies and manipulation cast at folks that don't know you and cant really verify anything you say, so why not lie my ass off? What the thrill is for this type I'm not sure, but there are Tons of them on the Net.

Ten lionz
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 5:45PM #14
Forest Child

Often over the Internet it is difficult to trust others also.  Someone claims they can do this or that which is generally unprovable like psychic stuff or remote viewing and when they throw the gauntlet down, nobody can trust that they will tell the truth when said information is offered .

There is nothing in this type of thing for the Spirits who help us and work through us so it is rarely supported.  At the end of the day Shamanism is about being that 'hollow bone' for the benefit of all beings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 6:22PM #15
Tenlionz

'hollow bone' hehe, Ok now you made me laugh really hard. Not sure what that is or if I even want to know hehe. Thanks FC I needed that,

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 6:32PM #16
Forest Child

Ok, if you don't want to know . . . look away now!  ;)

I don't know who coined it but the term 'Hollow bone' is a reference in Shamanic circles to both the hollow bone spirit catcher made from a short length of hollowed out bone which some shamans use to catch the soul part in, they then blow it back into the patient when s/he returns with it.  It is therefore, also, a nice metaphor for the shaman him or herself who needs to be clear of all their own sh*t and get out of their own way to become a conduit for spirit to work effectively through.  That can't happen when we are full of ourselves and our own worries, concerns, importance or ego.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 7:12PM #17
writingal1

Forest Child--Hi.

Some Peoples also call that a "Soul Catcher."

There sare some beutiful examples form some Northwest Coast Peoples...

BTW--but not apropos of your post--it seems the concept of prudent silence is not universally known.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 7:47PM #18
Tenlionz

Thats perdy kool FC, in NDN Circles there are those known as Horn Doctors. They use a horn instead of bone,  and instead of blowing it back at the patient, they draw things from the body and spirit and blow it away as smoke.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook