3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 4:10PM #1
Nerdygothchick
Hi, my name is Victoria.  I'm a former Roman Catholic.  Left the Church mainly due to its many public policies and political standings.   I'm currently taking a break from organized religion and just learning as much as I can about all faiths. 

I've always had a fascination with Wicca.  I think it often suffers a bad reputation that it does not deserve.  I've heard many people criticize it only find out they know nothing of what it is.  I don't see myself converting to it, but I do respect its emphasis on peace, tolerance, balance, and nature.

In short, I'm just here to learn and to make friends.  Feel free to educate me.  I promise to be respectful of your views even if I disagree with any.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 8:07PM #2
Zavist

Here are some book references I found helpful when I was new to the craft:

Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham*

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk*

The Wiccan Mysteries by Grimmasi

The Gothic Grimorie

The Inner Temple of Witchcraft by Christopher Penzack*

Practical Magic for Beginnners by Brandy Williams

*- highly suggested

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 8:23PM #3
Nerdygothchick

Thanks for your suggestions!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 1:43PM #4
Brownowl33

Mar 11, 2011 -- 4:10PM, Nerdygothchick wrote:

Hi, my name is Victoria.  I'm a former Roman Catholic.  Left the Church mainly due to its many public policies and political standings.   I'm currently taking a break from organized religion and just learning as much as I can about all faiths. 

I've always had a fascination with Wicca.  I think it often suffers a bad reputation that it does not deserve.  I've heard many people criticize it only find out they know nothing of what it is.  I don't see myself converting to it, but I do respect its emphasis on peace, tolerance, balance, and nature.

In short, I'm just here to learn and to make friends.  Feel free to educate me.  I promise to be respectful of your views even if I disagree with any.

Don't get carried away with the idea that Wicca isn't organized; it is.  It's not an "anything goes" system.  You're right, though, in that most who criticize is don't really know what it is.

Books I would recommend more than any other would be the following:

"The Rebirth of Witchcraft" by Doreen Valiente.  Actually, ALL of her's are good.  "Witchcraft For Tomorrow" is another good one of her's.  In these, you'll learn the history of Wicca and other Witchcraft traditions, as told by the woman who wrote much of the Wiccan liturgy.

"The Meaning of Witchcraft" and "Witchcraft Today" by Gerald Gardner, the father of modern Wicca.

"The Witches Bible" by Janet and Stewart Farrar.  While I don't agree with everything they say, and some is a little dated, they still give a very solid base and are among the most highly read and respected elders (though Stewart has since passed away) in the Craft.  Highly controversial when it came out, because they printed what were (by this time anyway) already open secrets.

Good luck!  And keep us posted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2011 - 2:10AM #5
Teania

I have a few friends that went from some form of Catholism to Wicca and I believe that if you were to become a Wiccan, if you wish of course, or if you just want to learn alittle mroe about it. I suggest this book because it's the first I read and I found alot of it was helpful. :)

"If You Want To Be A Witch" By Edain McCoy. She's a really sweet writer and helps layout some of the history.

Hope that helps!

T.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 10:10PM #6
Zavist

"Gerald Gardner, the father of modern Wicca."

I disagree, I believe Aliester Crowley had more influence on the systems of wicca than gardner did, Gardner certainly popularized "his" so called "tradition" but most of the ideas and practices were givin to him by Aliester Crowley. Also in todays Wicca, that is "our" ages Wicca not the 1950's Gardanian nudest fest, is as you make it. "As above, so below", though I agree that some foundation is needed I am more inclined to believe that you can build your own tradition from that foundation be it "traditional" or eclectic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2011 - 8:02PM #7
Brownowl33

Mar 23, 2011 -- 10:10PM, Zavist wrote:

"Gerald Gardner, the father of modern Wicca."

I disagree, I believe Aliester Crowley had more influence on the systems of wicca than gardner did, Gardner certainly popularized "his" so called "tradition" but most of the ideas and practices were givin to him by Aliester Crowley. Also in todays Wicca, that is "our" ages Wicca not the 1950's Gardanian nudest fest, is as you make it. "As above, so below", though I agree that some foundation is needed I am more inclined to believe that you can build your own tradition from that foundation be it "traditional" or eclectic.

Gardner drew on many sources.  Crowley was one,  but much of his influence was later removed by Doreen Valiente, who was aware of his bad reputation and who re-wrote, or wrote, much of the Wiccan liturgy. Other parts were borrowed for "Aradia" by Charles Leland, various Masonic rituals, and many believe the coven Gardner claimed to have encountered (once thought to be fictional, but which now has some evidence to back it up.) By the time Wicca was well established, Crowley was years dead.  There's a reason it's called "Gardnerian" though it owes at least as much to Doreen Valiente.  Despite claims to the contrary, Wicca does indeed have much in common with traditional Witchcraft practices.

If you build it yourself, it's not exactly a "tradition" nor would many consider it Wiccan.  It's not something you can just make up as you go along and then declare yourself a priest of.  While it's possible to practice Wiccan style Witchraft as a solitary, it's not the same as being properly initiated.  As to practicing in the nude, this DOES go on today in traditional groups.  Perhaps it's fallen out of favour amoung so-called eclectics, but that doesn't make it go away.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2011 - 8:28PM #8
Zavist
who initiated the first witch?  The witch initiated her/himself through seeking there own path in the occult. And to claim that your traditonal views on wicca is more "proper" is totally unethical and down right offensive. Though I know the history of doreen and I have much respect to her and her writings they are not the "only" way of practing wicca. Wicca has evolved and until that is understood we are just gonna keep fighting over who is right when in the eyes of the lord and lady we are all right when we walk the path with love and acceptance. Peace be to you and yours
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2011 - 11:08AM #9
Brownowl33

Mar 24, 2011 -- 8:28PM, Zavist wrote:

who initiated the first witch?  The witch initiated her/himself through seeking there own path in the occult. And to claim that your traditonal views on wicca is more "proper" is totally unethical and down right offensive. Though I know the history of doreen and I have much respect to her and her writings they are not the "only" way of practing wicca. Wicca has evolved and until that is understood we are just gonna keep fighting over who is right when in the eyes of the lord and lady we are all right when we walk the path with love and acceptance. Peace be to you and yours

I'm not sure you understand: one doesn't need initation to be a Witch.  To be a Witch isn't necessarily to be a Wiccan; indeed, there are many Witches who are not Wiccan and little resemble Wiccans in their practice. So, it doesn't matter who initiated the "first witch." You don't need initiation to honour the Gods, nor to practice magic.  However, you DO need initiation to be of the Wicca, or a Wiccan. It's rather a private club, and not an open forum, if you want to look at it that way.

Do you find it "offensive" that to be a Catholic priest, you must attend seminary and be ordained by a bishop?  Is it "unethical" that, to claim to belong to the Masons, you must swear secrecy and be admitted by somebody who already belongs to the group? Of course not.  Wicca is no different.  It's an orthopraxic, not orthodox, religion: that is, it's something you DO more than something you believe. It's a secret mytery tradition that, by very definition, involves coven training and involves becoming a member of the Priesthood.

If you ask me, what's offensive is people reading a couple of books, declaring themselves "high priestess whatever" and then pretending as though they had the same training and standing as, say, a woman who had spent 10 yeard working towards her 3rd degree and who'd actually EARNED the right to call herself a priestess.

Again, you don't need initiation to be a Witch or to honour the Gods.  Wiccans aren't "better" than those who belong to a different tradition.  However, it simply is not a free for all that one can claim membership to based on something a book says.  None of the serious magical traditions are, from Feri to Santeria.  For the record, at this time, I'm a Witch but not (yet) a Wiccan; I've not been initiated and don't have the right to the title.  I'm just tired of hearing it watered down and treated as a kind of New Age fad, instead ot the serious and demanding path it truly is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2011 - 4:27PM #10
Zavist

I too am going through my training to become initiated, but it is my understanding that being Wiccan isn't a "tittle", its a lifestyle. You dont have to be initiated to be a wiccan, you just have to honor the sabaths, give praise to the lord and lady and live your life in balance with nature. I'm not talking about claiming to be a "high priest", im talking about being a Wiccan. Some that follow this path simply want to pray and practice the path in their own terms. For one to say they can't because their "club" said so is just like a christian priest saying that you can't be a christian because your not ordained. I have been practicing for 6 years now, I do not claim priesthood, I am in an initiation training process but this does not define my path, my "own" commitment to my faith defines my path not the "tittle" that will be bestowed to me through my coven.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook