Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What exactly is relgious science?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2011 - 9:52PM #1
Godgirl
What exaclty is religious science? So far i understand this much....ALL paths in RS lead to God, we are all divine, it is linked with new thought.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 12:58AM #2
Namchuck

Mar 2, 2011 -- 9:52PM, Godgirl wrote:

What exaclty is religious science? So far i understand this much....ALL paths in RS lead to God, we are all divine, it is linked with new thought.

Perhaps 'religious science' only means someone who practices the scientific method, uh, religiously?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 6:40PM #3
Myownpath

Namchuck, You old devil back with your old name and same old tricks. Saying Religious Science is someone who practices the scientific method is like saying an "atheist" is "a-theist." Maybe New Earth Creationists actually study the creation of earth too.

Anyway, to answer the original question. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Science

Religious Science (since renamed - probably because of comments like Namchuck's) is a New Thought religion. It is complex to explain, maybe you can clarify your interests. Are you seeking basic knowledge or deciding if it is a good fit for you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 2:07AM #4
Namchuck

Mar 8, 2011 -- 6:40PM, Myownpath wrote:

Namchuck, You old devil back with your old name and same old tricks. Saying Religious Science is someone who practices the scientific method is like saying an "atheist" is "a-theist." Maybe New Earth Creationists actually study the creation of earth too.

Anyway, to answer the original question. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Science

Religious Science (since renamed - probably because of comments like Namchuck's) is a New Thought religion. It is complex to explain, maybe you can clarify your interests. Are you seeking basic knowledge or deciding if it is a good fit for you?

Hi Myownpath! 

I was finally able to resurrect my old account, which I am quite pleased about.

Also, I am genuinely interested in "New Thought". I'm pretty much in the camp of J. Krishnamurti who suggested that there can't be any such thing as 'new thought' without a thorough purging in the individual of all the traces of 'old thought'. Without this sort of inner revolution occurring within one, any form of 'new thought' would just as likely be the movement of the old in a new guise. This latter seems to me to be largely what 'New Thought' really is.

What do you think?

'Truth is a pathless land' - J. Krisnamurti

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 6:32PM #5
Myownpath

Where is Namchuck and what have you done with him?

I guess it depends on what you feel is truth and what the New Thought shuld be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 7:02PM #6
Myownpath

At one time I wondered what would happen in someone from New Thought/Unity dropped into the atheist board. This would be highly unusual since New Thought philosophy teaches to not prostlytize. Eventually someone showed up all happy with tail wagging like a typical New Thought student. The usual anti-christian guns came out which were totally irrelevant to this conversation and started to sound a bit ignorant.  I asked the "visitor" how long he had been attending Unity and I was surprised to learn that had been involved for over two decades if I remember correctly. I asked him his previous religion and he mentioned that he did some evangelizing - passing out literature etc. After decades of belonging to a different religion he still held onto old habits and clearly old beliefs. Old beliefs that caused chaos and anger to others with dissimilar beliefs. I mentioned to him that he was not viewing the individuals from the board as brothers and sister as equals and was seeing them as flawed. He was not coming from a place of love. He quickly saw the error of his ways, analyzed himself a bit and eventually moved on. (to make a long story short.) Wouldn't it be nice if all religions could understand and "get" this simple teaching? (and maybe a few atheists too.)

I only wish New Thought was free of woo.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 1:00AM #7
Namchuck

Mar 10, 2011 -- 6:32PM, Myownpath wrote:

Where is Namchuck and what have you done with him?

I guess it depends on what you feel is truth and what the New Thought shuld be.

As to what New Thought should be doesn't seem to me to be very relevant.

I'm asking its advocates to tell me what is there that is 'new' about it?

The old Namchuck?

Haven't you noticed, I've gone from being a lamb to a wolf! :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 8:06PM #8
Myownpath

Mar 11, 2011 -- 1:00AM, Namchuck wrote:

OK it should be "Change Thought" and not "New" however if the person does change their thoughts it probably would be "new" to him or her. As in change your thought, change your attitude, change that horrendous shirt, rather throw it away, and put on a new one. Yes there is nothing new about shirts, they've been around for a long long time, but a new shirt would be new for you.

I thought your old picture was of a bichon frise. You were not a very nice lamb does that mean you will be a nice wolf?

To the writer of this post - sorry if we have hijacked your post. If you read what is written you will strangely see some New thought mixed in. I hope you will continue to post when your return.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 10:43PM #9
Namchuck

Mar 11, 2011 -- 8:06PM, Myownpath wrote:

Mar 11, 2011 -- 1:00AM, Namchuck wrote:

OK it should be "Change Thought" and not "New" however if the person does change their thoughts it probably would be "new" to him or her. As in change your thought, change your attitude, change that horrendous shirt, rather throw it away, and put on a new one. Yes there is nothing new about shirts, they've been around for a long long time, but a new shirt would be new for you.

I thought your old picture was of a bichon frise. You were not a very nice lamb does that mean you will be a nice wolf?

To the writer of this post - sorry if we have hijacked your post. If you read what is written you will strangely see some New thought mixed in. I hope you will continue to post when your return.

No big bad wolf here, Myownpath!

Yes, but it is just who or what "changes thought" that interests me, considering that the 'self' is essentially the sum of one's thoughts.

And I don't know that the metaphor of the shirt actually holds true, especially if the wearer of the shirt is still the same old self simply clad in a superficially new guise. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 10:52AM #10
Myownpath

You change your thought. (In New Thought, a God is not big daddy up in the sky. God does not bless or curse you. God did not die to save you from your "sins". You were not born in original sin you are not flawed. So you save yourself because you messed it up. ) It would be the same as someone being in an abused relationship for years finally realizing that they are a worthy of love and a better life. The see themselves as whole and connected to God (you can guess that I dropped this part.) and shift their thinking away from lack, distress, turmoil to new possibilities. If they hold onto this new truth, old ways will begin to collapse and their life (through commitment it) will shift to a better one not only mentally, spiritually, but physically. With a new attitude and thoughts new better, more loving possibilities will come their way. "Thoughts in mind produce like in kind." "What goes into a mind comes out in a life." "All that we are is the results of our thoughts; it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world. If a man speaks or acts with a harmful thought, trouble follows him as the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart."  "all that we are is the result of our thoughts; it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world. IF a man speaks or acts with a harmonious thought happiness follows him as his own shadow, never leaving him." v1 & v2 of the Dhammapada. What we sow we shall reap. Cause and effect.

Actually, the shirt metaphor ... the shirt was never a part of them. They put it on and can choose to take it off. Keep in mind you were not born thinking thoughts like, I'm a dummy, I'm  not worthy, I'm a victim, I'm not lovable, I have bad luck, this will never  happen... somewhere down the line you put that shirt on. Someone may have kicked to you to cause you to put the shirt on, but now your wearing it.

Namchuck stated "Yes, but it is just who or what "changes thought" (YOU DO)that interests me,  considering that the 'self' is essentially the sum of one's thoughts.

You life is essentially the sum of your thoughts. Your "self" is your perception of who you are which can also be flawed. (I have more to say on this at a later time, but let's get the basics down first. There is a definition of your ultimate sense which will just confuse the heck out of you.)

And  I don't know that the metaphor of the shirt actually holds true,  especially if the wearer of the shirt is still the same old self simply  clad in a superficially new guise."

Yes this happens. Someone thinks that they are a new different person, but has not gotten to the core of the thought. It happens all the time. Then when hardships or a challenge arises, they revert and were only fooling themselves. This is not easy stuff we are talking about. People have left the church because they claimed it was too hard, so they went back to a traditional church where "God" would do the saving for them. It's like losing weight or brushing your teeth overcoming alcholism. You need to be consistent and keep at it. There are some lucky few that get to the core of their mispercetion and deal with it and never fall off the band wagon. Most people do not want to change so and keep the shirt in the closet rather than throwing it away. It requires complete transformation and not simply I'll do better.

Shifts can be huge or very small. It can be done and I've seen it. Broken relationship healed, mousy shyness transformed into bold actions, people who think that their medical situation is hopeless and finally think, hey maybe there is someone out there who can help. I know that I personally see the world totally different from being involved in New Thought and areas of my life reflect this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook