Switch to Forum Live View NT or OT - that is the question
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 5:01PM #1
janelle alberts

NT or OT – that is the question

I was at a dinner party not long ago when the host began comparing Jesus to other historical icons who had rallied people around the idea of peace.  A guest mentioned Jesus’ calm, His kindness.

I sat wondering – who are they talking about?

My friend and I are reading through the Gospels.  That Jesus character likes to stir the pot.

But!  His storyline landed in the New Testament.  And that is the penthouse to Moses’ doghouse – otherwise known as the Old Testament. 

The dark, dreary Old Testament.  Children’s bibles depict pictures of windy, rainy backdrops with furrowed-brow characters, and sad costume choices.

Not like the New Testament.  Ah, the New Testament.  Pictures are more colorful, and feature people’s long, wavy locks and blue eyes on calm, tranquil faces.

A woman once summed it up by saying, “The New Testament is about mercy and the Old Testament – judgment.”

Except. 

The God who delivered David from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear was most decidedly Old Testament.  And the Jesus who told a man that simply looking back to say goodbye to his family made him unfit for the service of God was most decidedly New Testament.

To be clear, the big message of the New Testament is not lost on me.  The messiah.  The savior.  The New Testament is unimaginably filled with good news. 

But who started the rumor that it’s tied up in an attractive bow?

For some, those chapters are easier to swallow when simply … muted.  Stick with the pretty New Testament pictures because what those characters had to say about a brood of vipers and Satan and I’m-not-telling-‘cause-I-don’t-wanna seem a little harsh.  And this in the land of let there be peace.

I understand that temptation – muting something so its real words don’t muddle my perception of it.

Like cooking shows.

They’re beautiful.  Shiny stainless steel, subway tile backsplash.  Enticing colors.  Relaxing.  Wonderful. 

Until I turn on the sound.

Press, fold, stir, don’t overbeat!  Wipe the mushrooms but wash the kale but soak the other greens that carry sand.  Sand!  The glaze, the marinade, the canapés. 

Wha?

I do not understand what they’re saying.

My family is very hungry.

Taking the shine off the New Testament isn’t life-altering in the way discovering a go-to weekly recipe might be.  And anyway, I dig the whole thing, so I’m not looking to de-shine God’s Son’s debut pages.

But if it’s possible that the Old Testament God is not so altogether different from the New Testament God, then it’s possible that the God of the Bible is not so altogether different from the God of today.

Which then makes the information more usable?  Perhaps makes the God more … real?

Greater mysteries abound.  I only just now discovered that a Dutch oven is actually just a really big (get this) pan!  All that from simply turning up the sound.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 11:57PM #2
Roodog

"But Noah found grace in the sight of the LORD" Genesis 6:8

God has always saved people by Grace, even the election of Israel and the giving of the the Law were manifestations of Divine favor.

Get a good concordance and look up how many times "grace" is mentioned in the Old Testament.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2011 - 10:27AM #3
Rgurley4

NT or OT - that is the question

...ANSWER: Both!

...the God of the Bible is not so altogether different from the God of today.

ANSWER: The character of the TRI-UNE God of the Bible is UNCHANGEABLE + UNCHANGING.
God never breaks promises, BUT some promises / Covenants may be CONDITIONAL.
AND God's METHODS of dealing with Man do change according to His ALL Knowing / ALL Powerful WILL.

Which then makes the information more usable?  Perhaps makes the God more … real?

ANSWER: ALL Words of the Bible must be "SPIRITUALLY DISCERNED". The AUTHOR, the superintending God the Holy Spirit ...influencing the earthbound Man authors, their scribes, their preservers of text...wants you to APPLY the words to your life...and follow the WILL of the TRI-UNE God.

God the Son, Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah, the predicted God-Man of the OT, offers the "grace through faith" salvation and historical precepts of the NT.

A few supporting extracts from Scripture:

MY GOD IS :

1. Existent
2. Unified
3. Simple
4. Infinite
5. Eternal
6. Unchanging and unchangeable CHARACTER
7. All Present
8. All Sovreign
9. All Knowing
10. All powerful
11. Perfectly JUST
12. Perfectly LOVING / merciful
13. Perfectly TRUE / Truthful
14. Perfectly FREE
15. Perfectly separate and pure

Ref: Ryrie Study Bible, NASB, p. 2057

"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God,
for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them,
because they are spiritually discerned." SEE: 1 Corinthians 2:13-15

2 Timothy 3: 14-16...
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of,
because you know those from whom you learned it,
and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures,
which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for
teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Romans 15
4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us,
so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures
we might have HOPE.

John 1 (NIV)....The Word (LOGOS) Became Flesh

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,(Jesus)
who came from the Father, full of grace and truth....
From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.
For the law was given through Moses;
grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2011 - 4:29PM #4
MessianicBibleBeliever

I agree that God does not break His covenants. He made the covenant with the Israelites and said He would uphold His end as long as they keep His commandments and worshipped no other gods (elohim).  He also told Moses that the Israelites would break their end of the covenant.

In old testament times, if someone broke a covenant agreement, that person would be expected to lose their live (have their blood shed). A covenant agreement was very serious. God did not require the Israelites to be completely killed but He loved us so much that He even fulfilled  the blood shed requirement with His only begotten Son.

Now the interesting question is even though their was a new covenant made, did it invalidate all of the things that God said in the Old Testament (with the exception of the 10 Commandments).

One example in Deuteronomy chapter 12 verse  31Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.

So should we incorporate pagan celebrations into the worship of God if He considered it an abomination in the Old Testament? Are they no longer considered abominations?

There are other examples in the Old Testament. I think both Testament are important.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook