3 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2011 - 2:53AM #1
Louis77
Regarding Sin

I read a lot of people posting on the internet about how they don't like the ACIM book because they say the the book expounds that sin doesn't exist and that contradicts everything in the Bible.  When I try to read the book I think they might be misunderstanding what the text was actually saying.  I have been  studying the course for awhile, although I haven't completed it and while I won't claim to be an expert,  I have a different explanation to what I think was being stated in the  text.

When the text speaks of Sin- It defines sin as "a lack of  love."  When it is talking about the ego it is talking of a state of the mind.   If we look at ourselves as capable of changing our minds, then we are  also able to understand that sin exist as a state of being in which we  fail to love each other as ourselves.  If Jesus is talking about a state  in which "sin doesn't really exist"  I think what he means is that God  loves us always, and it is our choices to not fully love each other as  God loves us, or even as we love ourselves, in which the state of "Sin"  exists.  I don't think it denies we believe we are in a state in which  we do lack love for one another.  I think this statement is very much  true, and in this state sin very much exists.  I think the state that  ACIM describes, is one that relates to the spirit within us all (which we can expand to the other aspects of our reality: the mind and body).  If we  believe in the mind, body and spirit, (in a similar matter that we  believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost) than, we also understand that  they are different in their own realities, but they work together as  one unit to create a sinless or perfect existence.  Isn't it our goal to  create and become a perfect entity when we enter into oneness with the  Kingdom of Heaven.  If you are a Christian don't you also believe that  it is the purpose to live a sinless life? 

I think our Ego is in  fact rooted in fear just as Adam and Eve were afraid when they  understood they were naked in the Garden.  Before this they were  perfect.  By choosing to disobey God they inherited fear.  In psychology  we can draw a direct line from almost any suffering we experience to  fear.  Anxiety, pain, suffering, depression, difficulty concentrating,  and even most if not all physical illness have some if not all their  roots in fear.  If you really break it down does it not in some way seem  to make since that Sin is also derived from fear.  For is it not fear,  that causes war, is it not fear that causes us to attack first and ask  questions later.  And what is the reaction to those actions, guilt.   What does guilt cause, a need for repentence.  And where does guilt come  from, fear of punishment.  This is an endless cycle that never ends in  perfection.  Only continuous fear -> sin -> fear of punishment  -> guilt -> repentance for sin -> until you fear again and act  stupid again... in which the cycle repeats.  It never ends. 

My  point is that if we do as Jesus says and #1 "Love the Lord your God with  all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.... and  #2 Love your neighbor as yourself." Then ACIM does not contradict the  Gospel at all, for in this state, it is impossible to sin, and therefore  in this state neither sin nor guilt can exist.

Why are so many  people ignoring the two laws that are the most prominent in the Bible  when they make their arguments? This seems to be the only contradiction  apparent to me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2011 - 7:13PM #2
Bob_Bennett

Hi,

There is no sin in ACIM because we are asleep and dreaming of an unreality in which our supposed actions also have no reality.  i.e. It is not possible within the dream for anything real to be happening.

Bob

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 9:50PM #3
FOURFOXES44

The way it works in my experience is as stated in the bible. The holy spirit convinces me of sin. Its a process of spirituality that happens and the day comes when you are convinced by the holy spirit of sin. In my experience I have God sorta tells me and makes me feel inside of my deepest fears and feelings about these things. It takes a spriitual process from start to finish to come to repentance and start recognizing these spritual check points as in a course race for cars. Revelations come throughtout the advancement of the spiritual processs of repentance. Its something we will all come to acknoledge becasue sin and the devil and demons are real. It takes fear of death (and im talking about a final death not just the earhtly death) to start to persevere in the faith of God. After you get a taste of some of Gods biblical delights such as victories over past incompetences that will keep you yourning for more of Gods life as intended by God.

Additionally, I wil ltell you about my process. At first I rejected God because I wanted to do drugs and have all the disorderly conduct. But when I got sick I seeked a miracle. ANd then I disliked the faithful life God had to offer. But God acted and took me on a journey. On this journey we acted on love and passion and conquered some areas of my life that I once wanted otherwise than gods plan. I used to think i wanted sex, bars and disorderly conduct to be happy but then God acted and now after the journey I am sex free and discotec free and feel no need for that and it makes me feel like God can help me conquer all aspects of life and especially get the detergents that keep me away from Gods intention broken down. He takes care of the detergents for us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 10:14AM #4
Myownpath

Hi, Some people are convinced that we are sleeping and nothing is taking place. I don't buy it and I have met several ACIM students who do not take responsibility for their unskilled actions. To me sin does not exist because there really isn't anyone judging us, it's just bad human behavior. We suffer the consequences or reap the rewards from coming from a loving stance or using skilled behavior. If we lash out in anger to someone, cause and effect takes action, violence begets violence and you can pretty much count on getting a violent response. If we can recognize that these words of anger originally came from a hurt place in this person, we do not take it ownership of it. We recognize that we have a choice, by acting from a more skilled and loving position, we cut off the cycle of violence (separation) stopping it in its tracks. We extend love and that heals the separation of us with each other.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 5:25PM #5
Bob_Bennett

Another way of looking at why there is no sin as taught by ACIM is that we are merely watching a movie of "our" lives.  ie. we are sitting in the audience rather than acting out the prescribed script.

There is no free will in the Course, except to intervene in the pre scripted activity and ask the Holy Spirit to intervene, to guide us, to reinterpret what's happenining to us, etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook