Post Reply
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 1:59AM #21
Wiscidea
Posts: 2,319

Mar 29, 2011 -- 4:34PM, Nonchristianheaven wrote:


If G-d   is Love.


What is Love?


 





"Love is a battlefield."  -- Pat Benatar


Well ... it makes sense, since God appears to be a battlefield.


I actually don't think love is a battlefield, but I've apparently been more fortunate than others. Left and right, friends, colleagues, former colleagues ... divorced. But somehow I've walked through the valley of ... of ... whatever ... oblivious to the harsh "reality" of love. It is actually a rather pleasant stroll. Perhaps it depends on how one wants to view or experience it. Love, painful or pleasant, depends on what we want from life. And God? That's all it is.


Dear theists ... let go of the term "God" and focus on what it is you really want. The end result will at least be the similar, and likely be much better.


"All you need is love." -- John Lennon, one of my favorite atheists


 

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 11:47AM #22
Nonchristianheaven
Posts: 147

The word G-d is meaning less.


But I don't like to call G-d, by a human name like Jesus, George, or Mary Ann.


I prefer the word Creator...something that made all this something....that is not a something...not a creation...not a human, not a machine...not an element...not a power...not anything? It is complicated.


What is G-d?


My theory is G-d is called G-d because no one knows what a G-d is.


A G-d isn't...and is and that is why it is so confusing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 12:25AM #23
Silkandsteel
Posts: 6

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain," says John Lennon.


Says I, "God is a reflection of its creators: Us."


Excerpt from YahooAnswers below:


Q) Is there anything more audacious than an Atheist psychoanalyzing "God?"?


A) Yes: a religious individual believing he knows what God thinks and does.
If someone is provided with certain traits, these can be analyzed. The problem is the traits are given to God... and those are provided by the religious.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 11:03AM #24
mountain_man
Posts: 39,062

Mar 31, 2011 -- 11:47AM, Nonchristianheaven wrote:

The word G-d is meaning less....


Not only is the whole god idea meaningless, purposely misspelling the word with a '-' instead of an 'o' is even more meaningless. Gods are meaningless. They're nothing but myths.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 10:33AM #25
Wiscidea
Posts: 2,319

I still don't get the hyphen instead of the "o". The intent is obvious ... if someone is going to be offended, the hyphen certainly doesn't matter. And if there were I god, I'm confident it would see through the ruse.


Apr 1, 2011 -- 11:03AM, mountain_man wrote:


Mar 31, 2011 -- 11:47AM, Nonchristianheaven wrote:

The word G-d is meaning less....


Not only is the whole god idea meaningless, purposely misspelling the word with a '-' instead of an 'o' is even more meaningless. Gods are meaningless. They're nothing but myths.





"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 12:01PM #26
mountain_man
Posts: 39,062

Apr 2, 2011 -- 10:33AM, Wiscidea wrote:

I still don't get the hyphen instead of the "o". The intent is obvious ... if someone is going to be offended, the hyphen certainly doesn't matter. And if there were I god, I'm confident it would see through the ruse.


It strikes me as bizarre. Purposely misspelling a name is a sign of disrespect.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 6:55PM #27
Namchuck
Posts: 11,522

Mar 31, 2011 -- 11:47AM, Nonchristianheaven wrote:


The word G-d is meaning less.


But I don't like to call G-d, by a human name like Jesus, George, or Mary Ann.


I prefer the word Creator...something that made all this something....that is not a something...not a creation...not a human, not a machine...not an element...not a power...not anything? It is complicated.


What is G-d?


My theory is G-d is called G-d because no one knows what a G-d is.


A G-d isn't...and is and that is why it is so confusing.





While 'God' means a great deal to millions of people, that is no guarantee that the entity that the word represents actually exists. It might, but I see no compelling evidence for it, which is why I am an atheist.


Funny, I don't see the issue of God as very confusing at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 7:00PM #28
mountain_man
Posts: 39,062

Apr 3, 2011 -- 6:55PM, Namchuck wrote:

...I don't see the issue of God as very confusing at all.


What I find confusing is why people, in this modern society, still believe in gods. It makes no sense.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 7:21PM #29
Namchuck
Posts: 11,522

Apr 3, 2011 -- 7:00PM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 3, 2011 -- 6:55PM, Namchuck wrote:

...I don't see the issue of God as very confusing at all.


What I find confusing is why people, in this modern society, still believe in gods. It makes no sense.





While, probably like you, I have never felt superior to those who believe in gods, it seems to me that people do so only in order to avoid looking reality in the face, especially the reality of their own eventual extinction. It seems man's refusal to see the obvious, his longing for a better deal even if it is based on pure fiction has no limits.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 8:20PM #30
mountain_man
Posts: 39,062

Apr 3, 2011 -- 7:21PM, Namchuck wrote:

While, probably like you, I have never felt superior to those who believe in gods, it seems to me that people do so only in order to avoid looking reality in the face, especially the reality of their own eventual extinction.


I don't feel superior to Christians - at least the majority of them anyway.  I see the problem in two ways; one, they don't want to face their own mortality which is probably one of the main reasons god beliefs started. Two, they want to be part of the herd. Humans do have a very strong herd/pack instinct. That's probably what keeps religion going.


It seems man's refusal to see the obvious, his longing for a better deal even if it is based on pure fiction has no limits.


If they see the obvious, and admit it, then they can't be part of the herd anymore. Some are so brainwashed from childhood that it's not possible for them to conceive of a godless Universe.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook