Switch to Forum Live View Strict or average church?
4 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2011 - 7:22PM #1
sbkr5

I have always more or less believed in god, though I haven't read the entire bible or really been to church, and I guess what I saw and was told by my more christian friend I more or less took as love god, a very easy thing to do.  Then my mom decided to go to church again since moving and I agreed to go, but while I enjoyed the bible reading in the beginning then it all seemed to turn human, the preacher talked about all the things you had to do to worship, and started talking about sacrifice which of course was giving money he said as much, I am a bit cynical so I saw his mention of great sacrifice as not just give money but give a lot.  But most of all I kept seeing "worship worship worship worship" in the songs and preaching an overwhelming message not of love but of servitude and debt owed and I guess I was struck with thoughts of every other religion demanding the same thing out of its followers.

I kept thinking of the question, why does a omnipotent creator of all and presumably so without flaw compared to us have such a human emotion as demanding worship?  After that I went home and I was depressed and having doubts, I told my mom as such and she just twisted it around so she could answer something different from what I asked. My grandma did the same thing adding in a little gods wrath threatening when I mentioned doubts, totally fed up I went to my room I asked some friends and they just all said blind faith when posed with my question.  So my questions are this, 1. Did I just have a bad experience today with church and the people I asked? and 2. Can any Christian explain the worship thing a little better so it does not sound like something insisted by a human king for example which was the message I got there.

Also, Is there an clear cut thing in the bible that would prevent me from reading the bible and instead of going to church discuss it with friends?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2011 - 6:39PM #2
Iwantamotto

1. Did I just have a bad experience today with church and the people I asked?

Yeah.  Join the club.  :P

2. Can any Christian explain the worship thing a little better so it does not sound like something insisted by a human king for example which was the message I got there.

Well, I don't go to church anymore, but here's my take:  There are two different kinds of worship ... the kind based on separation and the kind based on togetherness.  Worship based on separation stokes the human ego by insisting God play by the human's rules.  It encourages a self-serving hierarchy by self-made "right hands" of God.  It is the type exemplified by some of Jesus' apostles and Paul, who demanded people listen to only them, shunning others who may not have been in the group but were really on the same side, arguing amongst themselves who best deserves the little gold star they hypocritically say they don't deserve in a false piety.  Worship based on togetherness, however, seeks to improve our sense of the bond between ourselves and our reality and all those in it, including God or the laws of physics or whatever higher sense you name.  It encourages a reduction of self-importance for the greater good.  If one took Christ's sacrifice as real rather than made up by depressed surviving followers, then this is exemplified by Jesus' sacrifice.  If that doesn't really float your boat, though, there is the constant encouragement of Jesus to "be like God", which technically is impossible, but in a certain sense implies seeing worth in everything, that everything is bonded to everything else.  When Jesus spoke of the dead evil rich guy, the story notes a gulf between the damned and the saved, but if you really, REALLY think about what is going on ... you begin to realize that both are still bonded together well enough to talk to each other.  How else can Abraham and evil rich guy talk to each other?  The gulf is just in their minds.  Just as Adam and Eve, furthermore, sought to hide from God due to their shame over a made-up sin, they could not hide from God because they were connected.  God's breath animated Adam, and God's hand formed Eve.  They are, in a sense, a part of Him just as He is a part of us.  This kind of worship promotes a sense of bonding, even if there is disagreement among equals or biologically necessary things, like eating.  It seems destructive only to those who prefer separating themselves from reality.  It is, in fact, creative.  Our species survived due to cooperation.  We evolved with social guidelines instead of risking everything by having the biggest horns (must ... avoid ... dirty ... mind ... LOL), the biggest wings, the most colorful skin, etc.  We depend not on ourselves but on all in existence.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2011 - 9:02AM #3
Aussiesoul

I see  from your post you have had little experience of going to church. You certainly have had a bad experience at your mother's church. For the record not all churches are like this and I would avoid any who like to tell you how much money you need to give it. God does not demand our worship. That belief is the creation of those who place human needs and emotions onto God. God's love for us is UNCONDITIONAL. We can express our love for God in many ways and going to church is only one of them. By all means  read the bible and discuss it with your friends or be a part of the beliefnet community which is a different form of church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2011 - 3:54PM #4
grampawombat

I go to church because doing so satisfies some personal needs--for instance being with people with whom I share common values, feeling connected to those whose way of life I admire and respect, and engaging in an experience that I find emotionally satisfying. I've been doing this for most ofthe last 50 years or so and it works for me. What are you looking for?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2011 - 4:26PM #5
Bob_Bennett
I can think of no reason why God needs or demands worship.  This sounds like a human idea.

The effect of prayer is magnified when people gather together in church ( or anywhere else) to pray together.  There is also the instruction benefit that comes from attending a good church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2011 - 11:06AM #6
Ifnotforgrace

There's an old adage that says: "Going to church won't make you a Christian anymore than sitting ina garage will make you a car"

Another one says: "The Devil is in church every time the doors are open-He even preaches sometimes."

Some people use God as a Magic Genie (granting requests, healings & prayers)

Most believe there is a "creator" or intelligent design behind our/other universe(s).

Reading the Bible won't do harm to anyone & I highly recommend it-For beginners the amphlified version (that way you don't have to get all up in the Greek/Middle Voice/Hebrew/Aramaic techno stuff) would be a good one.

God is not afraid of your ?'s-do ask

Love,

Grace

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook