Switch to Forum Live View Can I ask a couple questions about Unity?
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2011 - 5:24PM #1
wabisabi

I am agnostic, but want to believe in God.  And I seems like I believe in just about everything Unity teaches except when it comes to God. Unity's beliefs about/approach to God confuses me. I know that Unity believes all paths are valid, and they talk about God  being all good, being love, etc. So, what I can't wrap my mind around  is...why do they revere Jesus if they don't believe he was God  incarnate? Why do they teach from the Bible if they believe it's just  allegory? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2011 - 6:25PM #2
Myownpath

Hi Wabisabi, Love you're name and it's meaning.

I guess I would also define myself as an agnostic and attended Unity for about 13 years. I left a year ago when I finally realized that my true beliefs were contrary to Unity and I felt inauthentic.

First don't force yourself into believing in God. Listen to that still small voice that is saying BS  or saying "but if this is true then why is this so...." Unity believes that all paths lead to God, but the church is actually for believers. I know what you mean about agreeing with everything but the God part; the church is psychologically sound and gives great advice for living your life. You will need to personally decide if continuing with Unity is best for you or not. My guess is that Unity is filled with a few agnostics, deists, liberal Christians, panentheists, and a few pantheists. Some believe in the goodness of the "Universe" and not God. You may want to check out liberal Quakers or Unitarians as well. If you live a life of gratitude, skilled behavior dealing with people, responding and taking action, you may find that you may not need a belief in God at all.

Actually the Unitys I attended were not very Bible based and infrequently referred to the Bible. Some may not even consider themselves to be Christian, but New Thought. In Unity, Jesus is a brother or way shower and not God. He is a representative of what you can achieve. He is considered to be in some way a superior teacher to other teachers like Buddah, Krishna, etc. The bible is read metaphysically/symbolically. I have known individuals who did not hold Jesus in the highest regard and preferrred Buddah (or some cult leader!)The church has Christian roots and you will find individual churches that vary in their Christian practices and beliefs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 2:50PM #3
Vardu

Jan 11, 2011 -- 5:24PM, wabisabi wrote:

I am agnostic, but want to believe in God.  And I seems like I believe in just about everything Unity teaches except when it comes to God. Unity's beliefs about/approach to God confuses me. I know that Unity believes all paths are valid, and they talk about God  being all good, being love, etc. So, what I can't wrap my mind around  is...why do they revere Jesus if they don't believe he was God  incarnate? Why do they teach from the Bible if they believe it's just  allegory? 

Try to understand from just where that 'wanting' arises. Once that is understood, the want will simply evaporate.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook