Switch to Forum Live View "Coming out of the Broom Closet", then realizing you were the only one in it
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 5:19AM #1
Zavist

This is a thread I thought would be interesting to create about how you came out as a Wicca, witch, pagan, asatru...etc, and your quest to find others of a like minded caste. I began practicing as a Wiccan/ witch for 5 years now....and still I'm the only Wiccan I know. I mean I've met other "wiccans" but they were usually too young and obviously fluffy, or they were too far out there for me to even reach them (mentally speaking). I was just wondering if all those that follow the craft have had their (forgive the pun) spells of loneliness? Or is it just because I live in Yorba Linda and the closest metaphysical store is a psycic with over priced tarot readings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 11:24PM #2
gorm-sionnach

Jan 6, 2011 -- 5:19AM, Zavist wrote:

This is a thread I thought would be interesting to create about how you came out as a Wicca, witch, pagan, asatru...etc, and your quest to find others of a like minded caste. I began practicing as a Wiccan/ witch for 5 years now....and still I'm the only Wiccan I know. I mean I've met other "wiccans" but they were usually too young and obviously fluffy, or they were too far out there for me to even reach them (mentally speaking). I was just wondering if all those that follow the craft have had their (forgive the pun) spells of loneliness? Or is it just because I live in Yorba Linda and the closest metaphysical store is a psycic with over priced tarot readings.

Just a suggestion, but it may be more fruitful to have this thread moved to the Paganism community board, as this is the Wicca community board and so is for topics pertaining to Wicca...

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 3:23PM #3
Zavist

did i not say that I'm a wiccan looking for other wiccans? or was that not clear....in any case this board stinks, the only person with some clarity in the subject of wicca has an unfortunate case of "holyier than thou" and that is just hard to handle. I have much more fun discussions in the Satanism forums than I do in this Wicca forum....at least the Satanists respond with an air of respect (for those that deserve it anyways). All i can find on this forum is frumby traditionalists and noobies asking questions that google can surely tell them if they took the time to have a cognitive thought for once instead of just wanting someone else to do it for them; or worse of all "Dabblers" that claim to have speacial abilities but cant tell a besome from an athame. Really this forum is quite disappointing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 10:43AM #4
KeaErisdottir

did i not say that I'm a wiccan looking for other wiccans? or was that not clear....

The problem being that none of the wiccans actually know if you're a wiccan or not.  You've never made it clear where you stand, and that is not a basis upon which a discussion of Wicca can be based.

Sorry, but you have to carry your part of it, too.

in any case this board stinks, the only person with some clarity in the subject of wicca has an unfortunate case of "holyier than thou" and that is just hard to handle.

It is unfortunate that so many people who self-identify as wiccan default to accusations of 'holieir than thou'.  It closes doors rapidly, because going from "I'm here to learn." to "You suck." in two or three posts really just says that the original missive was insincere.  No one with any knowledge or accomplishment within this faith got there in a week, or a day, or even a year.  Most of the people who actually know something about Wicca have been doing it in excess of a decade, and more often 2.

No one here owes anybody anything, save maybe some basic tolerance.

I have much more fun discussions in the Satanism forums than I do in this Wicca forum....at least the Satanists respond with an air of respect (for those that deserve it anyways). All i can find on this forum is frumby traditionalists and noobies asking questions that google can surely tell them if they took the time to have a cognitive thought for once instead of just wanting someone else to do it for them; or worse of all "Dabblers" that claim to have speacial abilities but cant tell a besome from an athame. Really this forum is quite disappointing.

The perjoratives say everything that needs to be said.  Perhaps Satanism is a better fit for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 4:47PM #5
Zavist

Mar 30, 2011 -- 10:43AM, KeaErisdottir wrote:

did i not say that I'm a wiccan looking for other wiccans? or was that not clear....

The problem being that none of the wiccans actually know if you're a wiccan or not.  You've never made it clear where you stand, and that is not a basis upon which a discussion of Wicca can be based.

Sorry, but you have to carry your part of it, too.

in any case this board stinks, the only person with some clarity in the subject of wicca has an unfortunate case of "holyier than thou" and that is just hard to handle.

It is unfortunate that so many people who self-identify as wiccan default to accusations of 'holieir than thou'.  It closes doors rapidly, because going from "I'm here to learn." to "You suck." in two or three posts really just says that the original missive was insincere.  No one with any knowledge or accomplishment within this faith got there in a week, or a day, or even a year.  Most of the people who actually know something about Wicca have been doing it in excess of a decade, and more often 2.

No one here owes anybody anything, save maybe some basic tolerance.

I have much more fun discussions in the Satanism forums than I do in this Wicca forum....at least the Satanists respond with an air of respect (for those that deserve it anyways). All i can find on this forum is frumby traditionalists and noobies asking questions that google can surely tell them if they took the time to have a cognitive thought for once instead of just wanting someone else to do it for them; or worse of all "Dabblers" that claim to have speacial abilities but cant tell a besome from an athame. Really this forum is quite disappointing.

The perjoratives say everything that needs to be said.  Perhaps Satanism is a better fit for you.

"I began practicing as a Wiccan/ witch for 5 years now....and still I'm the only Wiccan I know."

This was my original post right? Am I the only one who sees this?  I originally created this thread to reach out to the other wiccans in this board. I see now that was a mistake. I dont care if you've been in the craft for a month or 2 decades, I really just wanted some people to talk to about my initiation process, about the handfastening I'm getting with my soulmate latter this year, about support groups and ministries that help with counseling or mentoring. I suppose this was too much to expect from the Wicca forums then was it? This is what I was talking  about with the 'holier than thou' crud. All you people do is sit at home and wait to jump on someone who is honestly just a little lonely with yr "this belongs in a different forum"or "don't expect help if you have nothing interesting to say" or even "You dont believe in "MY" tradition so your faith isn't 'real' like mine." You know its really sad actually. Thats all I come across when I read these forums. Sure maybe some help here or there....after a year or two of waiting for someone to respond to yr thread with an honest and actual "greeting" or what not. But over all there is no support here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 8:10AM #6
KeaErisdottir

"I began practicing as a Wiccan/ witch for 5 years now....and still I'm the only Wiccan I know."

This was my original post right? Am I the only one who sees this?  

I don't take that as evidence that you are a wiccan.  I HAVE seen you recommend books that I don't recommend to anyone, talk about involving your lover in the belief system that you practice, talk about an upcoming initiation, and diss trads and others.  That's not a lot of evidence that points to the label of 'wiccan'.

I originally created this thread to reach out to the other wiccans in this board. I see now that was a mistake. I dont care if you've been in the craft for a month or 2 decades, I really just wanted some people to talk to about my initiation process, about the handfastening I'm getting with my soulmate latter this year, about support groups and ministries that help with counseling or mentoring.

If you don't care about the actual experience of the people you talk to, then you say to me that you'll take anything from anybody, and as that is ever a losing bet for someone who gives away their time to help someone, it is not a particularly good return on that time investment.  I can understand being frustrated, because believe me when I say that most every initiate I know has been mightily frustrated with The Work, but this lashing out stuff doesn't cut it for me, and since you brand people like me the Devil, you've erected the barrier to communication.

Further, if you are being initiated, is it not the job of your teachers, initiators, and High Priestess to talk to you about your initiation process, rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet?  They know you best and can best address your questions, concerns, and insecurities.

Moreover, if you're being initiated and you're not getting the mentoring you feel you need from those doing that initiation, then why are you doing it?  Initiation is a magical process that ties you to these people, like, for the balance of this incarnation and possibly into future ones.  If you are not getting that mentoring and support, why would you initiate with people who are not there for you?

I suppose this was too much to expect from the Wicca forums then was it? This is what I was talking  about with the 'holier than thou' crud. All you people do is sit at home and wait to jump on someone who is honestly just a little lonely with yr "this belongs in a different forum"or "don't expect help if you have nothing interesting to say" or even "You dont believe in "MY" tradition so your faith isn't 'real' like mine."

Again with the fist....

I don't sit at home.  I am an active part of my community who runs a 4000 person volunteer group, in addition to raising children, running a household, and worshiping my Gods in the real world.  The time that I, or anyone like me, spends in a forum like this is not merely to entertain the likes of every person who gets a little religious feeling and decides that we owe them something.  It is an energy exchange between the people communicating.  When the information provided is exchanged with a bunch of hate and discontent?  Well, you reap what you sow....

Again, if you are seeking initiation and are close to it, why are these people who are working with you not providing the support you need as a human being to thrive in the world you are about to enter?  I do not understand it.  If your tradition is so unsupportive and neglectful of its students, it's not a worthy one, and I personally won't defend the behavior of groups that I find unconscienable and indefensible--as a matter of fact, the moral and ethical dictates of the religion I practice demand that I do not.

So as to your faith or my faith being more 'real', since I don't know you, and what I do know is negative, accusing, and generally hostile toward me, and given that I am a generally not going to waste my effort to dissuade someone bent of hating me because I breathe and have something they don't, I guess that I just don't see the point in trying to reach out to you in a positive way--because I'm just going to get slapped.

You know its really sad actually. Thats all I come across when I read these forums. Sure maybe some help here or there....after a year or two of waiting for someone to respond to yr thread with an honest and actual "greeting" or what not. But over all there is no support here.

So you came here with the expectation that Wicca is a religion of acceptance and love and tolerance?  You believed that you were owed a cuddly little greeting? 

Wicca is a religion of practice, not of belief.  I actually don't give a whit what you belief, past a certain point, and really only care to the point that what you actually do is honorable and makes you a proper person.  As the state of Proper Personhood cannot be proven on the Internet, it kinda leaves me at a loss, and the support that can be given is all too often rejected as 'holier than thou' because it isn't what the poster wanted--or demanded. 

I do wish you well, but I am no one's servant or slave.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:37PM #7
gorm-sionnach

Mar 26, 2011 -- 3:23PM, Zavist wrote:

did i not say that I'm a wiccan looking for other wiccans? or was that not clear....in any case this board stinks, the only person with some clarity in the subject of wicca has an unfortunate case of "holyier than thou" and that is just hard to handle. I have much more fun discussions in the Satanism forums than I do in this Wicca forum....at least the Satanists respond with an air of respect (for those that deserve it anyways). All i can find on this forum is frumby traditionalists and noobies asking questions that google can surely tell them if they took the time to have a cognitive thought for once instead of just wanting someone else to do it for them; or worse of all "Dabblers" that claim to have speacial abilities but cant tell a besome from an athame. Really this forum is quite disappointing.

Nope, as a matter of fact, you said:

]This  wrote:

This  is a thread I thought would be interesting to create about how you  came  out as a Wicca, witch, pagan, asatru...etc, and your quest to  find  others of a like minded caste.

There are non-Wiccan witches, Pagans and of course Asatru is a wholly different religion altogether. "Holier than thou" often only appears as such to those who dislike the voice of someone who can speak with authority, especially when they disagree with the individual making the observation.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2011 - 11:47PM #8
Zavist

I am red with embarressment after re-reading my posts. Since my last post, alot has happened in my life and practice. Its funny how much can change in a short period of time. I cannot take back what I have said to those responding to my thread but I can appologize for my ferocity and arrogance. I have been doing alot of pathworking, with the guidance of my High Priestest, and I have discorvered alot about myself and Wicca for that matter. I was walking a path of anger and negativity. I filled my life with rage and from my workings I discovered that about myself. Since then I have been making attempts to heal what damages I had created. My fiance (who is wise beyond his years) has also been helping me overcome my anger issues and he suggested that I go to those that I have lashed out at and appologize to them. I know none of you may even care about my lashing out and have since moved on, but I do feel the need to make ammends. I am sorry for my earlier posts. I am sorry for creating this thread and then flaming everyone that responded. Believe it or not I have grown alot since then and I just wanted to say how sorry I am for my behavior. I wish you all love and light.

Beatus Esse,

Zavist

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook