Switch to Forum Live View Bringing a Lover into the Craft
3 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2011 - 3:18AM #1
Zavist

I have been studying and practicing Wicca in solitry for 5 years now. Last New Years I met and soon began dating my boyfriend and this year we are both taking beggining Wicca classes together. I am excited but I see that my boyfriend is a little nervous a reserved about his feelings. He has practiced spells and celebrated the sabats with me but I feel that joining a coven and training with others not just myself is a heavy thought for him to deal with. I also know that he comes from a christian background, not the zealous "destroy all sinners" types but the groovy get along and share the love christian types. He says he really feels sometthing in Wicca and he knows how passionate I am about Wicca and witchcraft so he wants to learn what he can so we can grow together in that spiritual way. Truly I am blessed to have such a man in my life who is willing to try new ideas and practices just to have a closer connection to myself. I know that we will have fun in our classes and work hard on learning and growing within the Craft. I was just wanting to share this and was curious about others who are of the Craft and have brought there loved ones into the path. How was the transition? Any tips? Any funny tales?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 9:35AM #2
Doneau

One of the best ways I have found in bringing a lover into the craft is to set aside a regular time and place to practice your craft together. I suggest you get the book Gay Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak.  (ISBN 1-57863-281-1, Weiser Books, Boston.) Work through the book together and do the rituals together. There are complete sections on love magick, sex magick, healing magick... as well as same sex rituals and celebrations and the Turning of the Wheel.  It's a very powerful type of magick that will bring you not only closer in your relationship, but also make the transition into practicing Wicca together much easier.  Here's wishing you good energy and success.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2011 - 11:47AM #3
Innerpoint

I think we've all considered, at one time or other, bringing our lovers/partners into our 'Craft work.  I've always been of the opinion that if they're willing and have no problems with it, go right ahead.  Wicca, though, is a little bit different.  Being oriented around, and based on, all practices of fertility, there's often an 'understanding' that isn't, or can't be, conveyed.

Honouring the gods and observing the Sabbats doesn't have to be strictly prescribed to the Wiccan ways and beliefs - in fact, it's often better that they're not.  'Craft practices are wide open - from the more Traditional aspects of Wicca to the most outlandish and vague honouring of the ways and means of 'Craft observances.  The main thing to watch and understand, both for yourself and your partner, is that you not try to force yourself into a mold.  If something doesn't feel right - or if there's a difference of opinion and hesitation - don't do it!  There are numerous approaches to 'Craft work.  Don't make the error of 'brand shopping'; look around and see if there might be a better fit - for either one or both of you.  There's nothing wrong with having two practitioners of different aspects of the 'Craft working, sharing, and learning their own paths together.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 3:28PM #4
Zavist

UPDATE: Since I last posted this thread my boyfriend and I have proposed to eachother...at the same time no less hahahaha; truly a sign of how perfect we are together. We are having a handfasting this year and next year we are having a wedding with family and friends. I am so excited for both cerimonies!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook