Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 9:26PM #1
RevDorris
Posts: 1,807

What is the potential of man?


No one seems to know for sure.


It seems limited only by our imaginations.


We are capable of many wondrous things.


 


Share with us your thoughts and views.


What is humanity to become?


What is our potential in serving humanity and the One?

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 7:15AM #2
Gr8full1
Posts: 41

The potential of wo/mankind.  I believe it to be as wondrous as the universe.  When we awaken to the truth that we are "all one" and "individualizations of the Divine", our potential will be unlimited.  As long as we hold the false belief that we are seperate from our Creator and seperate from each other and all living things, then our potential will be self serving (selfish), limited and destructive because our seperate egos will dominate.  Self preserverance, when dominating our thoughts, will make us act badly towards others.   All human kind must wake up to the idea that we are all interconnected and the well being of others affects our well being.  Life is not a competition.  If we want to survive as a species, we need to see our neighbor as ourself and show love and compassion accordingly, for all living beings.  To have respect for life is to behave responsibly withour fear or malice.  When we choose to "walk in the light", we guide the way for others.  We do not force others to do our bidding, we do not manipulate others, we just are, living examples that influence others to also be and act the best they can, so we can learn and evolve together.  An ever changing world requires that we also be ever changing.  Do not become steadfast and stubborn and fixed in your beliefs.  Allow yourself to alter your attitudes when need be.  Humility is the key.  We are all children of God.  But we must learn, as children do, how to live correctly or life will go terribly wrong.  When we learn how to control our thinking, we shall control our lives.  We have to train ourselves, first to believe and then to realize the Prescence of God everywhere, even where evil seems to be.  In all cases, you should claim frequently that God thinks through you, and that God is inspiring you to use right methods, and that Divine Wisdom will show you the next step.  Never cease to commune with God.  As long as we do maintain our living communion with the Divine, our consciousness will grow and grow, and our individual manifestation will naturally be expanded and enriched in proportion.  Remember, positive thoughts produce positive, harmonious conditions; negative thoughts produce fear and limitation.  So what is our potential?  It is whatever you want to make of it, and I believe there are some great people out there, who are silently going about their lives, enriching others just by being themselves, being the light others seek in a dark world. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2011 - 9:36AM #3
RevDorris
Posts: 1,807

Love your post Gr8full1.


It would be nice to see the views of other Unitarians and Universalists.


Maybe UUs have lost the ability to imagine or project what they would like the UU movement to be.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2011 - 9:34AM #4
rideronthastorm
Posts: 5,756

Well as far as our potential for the UU church goes I have some ideas. Ive seen alot of infighting over gifts and tittles and positions, who has what position and what gifts and who should be over what deaprtment etc etc. They get into these board meetings and fight over it. Personally I have been guilty myself of feeling sorry for myself because Im dislexic and really dont have any gifts and not qualified to run any position or deaprtment at my church. But ive changed that attitude by seering myself as a tribalist and I think our church would be better as seeing ourtselves as more Tribal.Tribal as in were all good and valuable for something and we all depend on each other to survive and everyone is on the same level nobodys better then anyone else tehrefore lookingt down your nose at others because you have a certain gift is not valid, we all depnd on each other and are valued,everyone contributes.I dont have any gifts but I want to go in and do community servic ethis year, helping clean the church and community service is important as much as serving on any commitee is,, showing up and being there and being loving towards others at church is valuable, paying our monthly dues is a value. Showing up to board meetings that are open to the public and offering your support is valuable.


were all valuable somehow and we contribute to the tribe and as a tribe we depend on each other to survive.


 


Thats all that counts.I like being tribal as opposed to individualistic, as individualists we seem to be so creative that were all fighting over whos the most smartest ........thats not smart.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2011 - 9:56AM #5
RevDorris
Posts: 1,807

rideronthastorm,


You have made a valuable contribution with this post.


You have shown that you have the gifts of caring, loving, and sharing.


You want to commit your time to service and helping in ways that you can with your abilities.


You have pointed out correctly that all members have value and no one should be viewed as above another.  We are family and/or tribal as you have said.


 

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2011 - 12:30PM #6
JCarlin
Posts: 6,647

Rider-


Grab this and run hard with it.  You will do yourself, your tribe and our UU Community a world of good.  Thank you.


Jan 15, 2011 -- 9:34AM, rideronthastorm wrote:

were all valuable somehow and we contribute to the tribe and as a tribe we depend on each other to survive.



I hope you don't mind I have used most of your post as a seed for a post on Blue Roads.


 


 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2011 - 11:08PM #7
zorba
Posts: 9
I concur. All have gifts. Your post reminds me of why I don't belong to a brick & mortar church right now. I don't want to be caught up in politics and who would better run this or that, or feeling obligated to participate when I am weary. I come from mainline Protestantism, and often there weren't enough volunteers for boards, or the same rehash of people would just change positions. And I would be like, why are we wasting time with all these rules of order. Certainly did not help members potential. Potential for what? To look good to church peers or to somehow feel they were doing their due? I often wondered what they REALLY even believed. So pro forma, and so not for me. UU fits me so much better though I am not a formal UU, so even though I post here, I don't want to be disrespectful by claiming I am formally so. But I almost could be, just perhaps with a belief in some sort of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2011 - 12:06PM #8
JCarlin
Posts: 6,647

You would be no more disrespectful than anyone else posting here.  UUs come in all flavors some with bricks on top some not, some with God on top some not, some with social action on top some not.  What we all share are the gifts we all have to make our lives and the lives of those we care about better, richer, and more beautiful.  Welcome to UU as formal as it ever gets!


Jan 16, 2011 -- 11:08PM, zorba wrote:

. UU fits me so much better though I am not a formal UU, so even though I post here, I don't want to be disrespectful by claiming I am formally so. But I almost could be, just perhaps with a belief in some sort of God.




J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 8:41AM #9
Jupiter6208
Posts: 2,367

Jan 15, 2011 -- 9:34AM, rideronthastorm wrote:


Well as far as our potential for the UU church goes I have some ideas. Ive seen alot of infighting over gifts and tittles and positions, who has what position and what gifts and who should be over what deaprtment etc etc. They get into these board meetings and fight over it. Personally I have been guilty myself of feeling sorry for myself because Im dislexic and really dont have any gifts and not qualified to run any position or deaprtment at my church. But ive changed that attitude by seering myself as a tribalist and I think our church would be better as seeing ourtselves as more Tribal.Tribal as in were all good and valuable for something and we all depend on each other to survive and everyone is on the same level nobodys better then anyone else tehrefore lookingt down your nose at others because you have a certain gift is not valid, we all depnd on each other and are valued,everyone contributes.I dont have any gifts but I want to go in and do community servic ethis year, helping clean the church and community service is important as much as serving on any commitee is,, showing up and being there and being loving towards others at church is valuable, paying our monthly dues is a value. Showing up to board meetings that are open to the public and offering your support is valuable.


were all valuable somehow and we contribute to the tribe and as a tribe we depend on each other to survive.


 


Thats all that counts.I like being tribal as opposed to individualistic, as individualists we seem to be so creative that were all fighting over whos the most smartest ........thats not smart.





 


I could'nt agree with you more.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry



You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”


― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 10, 2011 - 9:04AM #10
RevDorris
Posts: 1,807

To everything there is a cycle: 


Birth -- growth -- maturity -- death -- rebirth.


 


It is the young people who drive the dream.


The elders can only point the way.


But the young must freely choose to take the journey.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook