Switch to Forum Live View A question for gorm-sionnach
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 12:30AM #1
Bairre

I have been trying to find a book that gives clear evidence of a connection between The Dagda and Cernunnos.  I have seen passing references to this connection in several books, but none give specifics.  Do you know of any books or even articles or peer-reviewed material that makes this connection?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 1:14AM #2
gorm-sionnach

Jan 2, 2011 -- 12:30AM, Bairre wrote:

I have been trying to find a book that gives clear evidence of a connection between The Dagda and Cernunnos.  I have seen passing references to this connection in several books, but none give specifics.  Do you know of any books or even articles or peer-reviewed material that makes this connection?

Nope. I have never come across a source which tries to connect Cerunnous with An Dagda. Well, no academic sources anyway; I do believe there are some neo-pagan books which likely make the link, especially since An Dagda is often refered to as the "god of the druids" and Cernunnos is often likened to the same. Though of course very little is actually known about the proposed charater of the Gallic deities as there are no myths about them, whereas with the insular we at least have Christianized myths to go by. In some of the continental sources, Cernunnos was linked to Dis Pater, and modern commentators have also made the connection. So since some have linked Dis Pater with An Dagda, Cernunnos (and others) perhaps this is a roundabout way for their linking?

If there was is Gallic deity linked with An Dagda, it is usually Sucellus (the "good striker"). Stauary generally depict him with a club or hammer, and occasionally a cauldron. 

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 5:59PM #3
Bairre

Jan 2, 2011 -- 1:14AM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Jan 2, 2011 -- 12:30AM, Bairre wrote:

Nope. I have never come across a source which tries to connect Cerunnous with An Dagda. Well, no academic sources anyway; I do believe there are some neo-pagan books which likely make the link, especially since An Dagda is often refered to as the "god of the druids" and Cernunnos is often likened to the same. Though of course very little is actually known about the proposed charater of the Gallic deities as there are no myths about them, whereas with the insular we at least have Christianized myths to go by. In some of the continental sources, Cernunnos was linked to Dis Pater, and modern commentators have also made the connection. So since some have linked Dis Pater with An Dagda, Cernunnos (and others) perhaps this is a roundabout way for their linking?

If there was is Gallic deity linked with An Dagda, it is usually Sucellus (the "good striker"). Stauary generally depict him with a club or hammer, and occasionally a cauldron. 

I generally find the neopagan books to be lacking in scholarship, and usually written by individuals lacking PhDs. 

Thanks for your insight.  I had only read the connection in passing, and was looking for some sort of verification. 

I've read many versions of the Gaelic and Welsh traditions, but I believe that the times I've seen the connections they weren't in Mythological recitals, but in books that were primers, of sorts, into Celtic culture and such.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook