Switch to Forum Live View Should Bible believing Christians celebrate Christmas?
4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2010 - 11:34PM #1
Theo

I believe we should celebrate the entire life of Christ, and that would include celebrating His birth. After all, two out of four Gospel's agree, Christ was born, and even the angels had to say - Glory to the new born king!

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2010 - 8:31PM #2
Anesis

Yes! Absolutely! Celebrate!

I've always been bigger on the Easter celebrations than on Christmas, but this year I have been learning more about the birth that directly ties in to prophecy and death. This year I am learning a little about the magi - not kings, not necessarily three of them, and not from Orient. The gifts they brought could be seen as prophetic....

Frankincense and myrrh were used in worship.  Frankincense is sweet and fragrant, and was used as anointing oil, and  was a fragrant offering to God. The symbolism is that the Messiah would  become a willing, fragrant sacrifice to God. 

Myrrh was used in the embalming process, particularly in embalming  Egyptian pharaohs, and it was given to post-partum mothers to help stop  the bleeding. It is bitter, and was added to a wine at the crucifixion,  called "gall" - a drink that has stupefying properties to ease the  crucifixion, but which Jesus refused to drink. The symbolism is the  bitterness of his suffering.

So yes, celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus! And be mindful of the purpose.

Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2010 - 10:37AM #3
Roodog

Yes, but in a way that glorifies Christ.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2010 - 9:07PM #4
Christic

Can you imagine the celebration there is in heaven on Christmas?! It is Christ's birthday, Celebrate!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2010 - 11:12PM #5
Zulaika

Except, it isn't his birthday...?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2011 - 12:08AM #6
Roodog

Dec 31, 2010 -- 11:12PM, Zulaika wrote:

Except, it isn't his birthday...?

The best research indicate that it was about the actual time of the Annunciation and Christ's conception.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook