4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 7:28PM #1
bigbear6161
Hi. I just find myself worn out from spending so much time in the discuss and debate forums. It seems that all you get is conflict there. As a progressive catholic Christian I get it from both ends: the fundies think I'm too liberal and some very aggressive atheists tell me God is evil. I need to recover and spend some time in a community forum. Has anyone else experienced this kind of beliefnet burnout?
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 11:11AM #2
grampawombat

I just don't go to the boards where there is that kind of behavior. I even gave up on the Science and Religion board, which at one time I enjoyed very much, because posters seemed to me to be so contentious.

But as far as more pleasant boards are concerned, in addition to here, the agnostics are generally a more open minded and tolerant group, but no one has posted there in three months. Any way, it's good to hear from you.

Don

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 2:09PM #3
Stardove

What we need is to spread the word to Progressives we are here and are a friendly bunch of members to get this forum more active.  Wink

PS. As a community wide host I read in areas I might skip in my personal life.  Sealed

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 8:37PM #4
Zeeking
Not Beliefnet burn out per se, but more general faith topic internet burn out. I am more than willing to accept that there could be as many legitimate paths to God/truth/life as there are individuals, and that anyone's particular faith of the moment is ok if it's working for them (without harming others). However, why do so few others grant me the same latitude? Why so much labeling and "my way or hell"? It's very tiring and disheartening.

I totally relate to being "not Christian enough, or of the right kind, or real Christian" as well as being too faithful for the atheist/nontheist crowd.

Can't win for losing, can we?

As I can easily foresee a lifetime of seeking and growth, I suspect that I might never "fit" under any one label for very long. That does not make the journey any less fascinating or worthwhile though.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2010 - 5:54PM #5
bigbear6161
Thanks everyone, I am glad others feel the same way. Too much digitality I spose. I would spend more time here but there hasn't been a lot of activity on this board. Anyway we can get something going? I remember when this group was active and lively. I have very fond memories of it.
Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2010 - 9:41PM #6
Aussiesoul

BigBear I totally hear you. I too am a progressive Catholic Christian and have felt the same as you at times. On the one hand you have the fundies and on the other militant athiests and what they both have in common is the belief that they alone have all the answers blinding them to any other truth. This board is a happy medium but I share your disappointment it is not more active. I wish you a very happy Christmas and New Year.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2010 - 2:33PM #7
Want to know

Although I contribute very little to these boards, I sometimes get burned out from just reading them. I came to Beliefnet about nine years ago to find out how other people thought about several things concerning Christianity. I think I was a progressive Christian long before I knew there was a name for the way I believe.

I am 76 years old and have lived my entire life in the Bible Belt, and really knew no one whom I could share my thought with, without being looked upon as a lost soul. It seems that most people in my neck of the woods have a check-list of things one must believe to be a Christian. I am a firm believer in a loving God but about everything else I have questions about. I do believe Jesus was divine, but I can't really say I believe in the Trinity as most people say they do.

I do not believe the Bible to be inerrant. I certainly do not believe God ever ordered any ethnic cleansing and I wonder how much of the OT actually happened.

I didn't mean to give a testimony when I started this post, but it just happened. Anyhow, I do understand what you are saying about burnout, and I agree.

"Now we see as through a glass, darkly but then face to face:  now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."  I Corinthians 13:12
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook